U2 NLOTH Boxset

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Is something wrong with my eyes!?!?!?!? Cuz um........ I don't have any trouble seeing where the sea ends and the sky begins in the bigger pics.... there is a line on the horizon!

Gah!

At least it's pretty!

Bigger pics...

3213127124_4cc7e8e910_o.jpg

3212281365_83a4f74025_b.jpg

Ok maybe if you are talking about a big blurry area where dark becomes light you could sort of call it a line, but there isn't really an actual LINE if you look closely.

I'm reeeeeally not trying to be difficult...... I see a line. A black line. We can zoom in on any black line in the world and see that it's a little greyer or fuzzier than it looked at normal size, but it's a line..... is there really a part of the sky where you're not sure which is which?

There is a real phenomenon when you can't tell where the sea ends and the sky begins, by a wide margin. I've seen it recently...... Oh well, it doesn't rain a lot out here in L.A., but next rainy day I'm going to the beach and seeing if I can take a photo or two to show what I think a REAL horizon without a line should look like......

Honestly not trying to be difficult here..........!!!!::scratch::pray::confused:

I'm reeeeeally not trying to be difficult...... I see a line. A black line. We can zoom in on any black line in the world and see that it's a little greyer or fuzzier than it looked at normal size, but it's a line..... is there really a part of the sky where you're not sure which is which?

There is a real phenomenon when you can't tell where the sea ends and the sky begins, by a wide margin. I've seen it recently...... Oh well, it doesn't rain a lot out here in L.A., but next rainy day I'm going to the beach and seeing if I can take a photo or two to show what I think a REAL horizon without a line should look like......

Honestly not trying to be difficult here..........!!!!::scratch::pray::confused:

Oh it's ok, I don't think you are trying to be difficult (on purpose... kidding! :wink: ) I hear what you are saying. I guess I'm being literal here and you aren't which is fine. I definitely agree that there are times when the sea and sky blend together more evenly, we saw some of that in the fake album cover thread, some I really liked! Maybe U2 went with this pic though because they liked that there was a more profound distinction between lighter and darker here, but still not a crisp line on the horizon. (And to me this doesn't feel like a zoomed in picture, but quite distant) Anyways, not trying to be difficult here either :)

Well, I'm not going to have a final opinion on this until I can hold the album and listen to the album while gazing out into it..... I'm liking some of the wave details that I'm seeing in the blown up versions of it......

But it's like a really annoying grammatical error that someone keeps making, or you know how people use the word "literally" when they mean "metaphorically" all the time, with no understand at all of the real meaning of the word? I feel like that's what's happening here.... except its not some idiot getting the meaning of the word backwards... It's U2!!?!?!??!?!

I know they don't mean ta bug me...... But, sir there's a line on that Horizon and the emperor has no clothes! Ok, play the blues.......

We shouldn't over analyze a simple cover picture.

I'm much more interested in the beautiful structure of the water in the front.

Well, I remember reading in art history class that the concept of a hard line is invented by human depictions -- that it doesn't exist in nature; there's no hard black edge to anything in reality. However, our minds are taught to assume it's there, I think.

I don't really see why it has to be approached as "artist's intent always matters" or "artist's intent has nothing to do with it." It's not as black and white as that, and I would venture that most artists, including myself and you two (god, punny) approach their canvas, whatever it may be, with an intention in mind - painting of trees, song about sex, poem about pain, whatever it is. Art should inspire new thinking and creativity, but the art should also be able to communicate. No art is a fortress to which the observer applies their own meaning in a vacuum. It's intensely noble to think that art is art itself, but the artist is approaching it with their own set of intentions, and if those intentions are not communicated through the art with some level of interest, kinetics, or clarity (not that those are the only ones, or that those three are most important) then the art usually falls flat. Even modern serialist composers are approaching their music from a standpoint of making something new and beautiful, something with an emotional quality to it. the artist WANTS that. if you get something else, awesome, but it's not black and white.

When I listen to Donuts by J Dilla, I'm enriched by the sound, and then moved to tears when I realize that he was on his deathbed, making these samples, creating this 33 track masterpiece of sound. Should it always matter? no. But it does matter, and Donuts is his last testament. That IS important, but it's also valid because the music on its own is deep and compelling.

Great points....and very well said. Maybe I should have been a bit more clearer in my thoughts because I'm more inclined to believe similarly to you on this subject.

Sure artists have intentions. But art should be about raising questions, not giving answers. And there's nothing wrong with art being mindless entertainment. A lot of artists succeed in showboating their intentions and agenda, but fail to get taken seriously.

I rather have my art mindless than preachy.

I don't believe that art should be pigeon-holed that way. Why can't it provide as many answers as questions? I think the second we start defining what art SHOULDN'T be then we start to veer away from what art IS. In the end, I'd rather talk about what art IS and not necessarily what art ISN'T or SHOULDN'T be.

Back
Top Bottom