U2 NLOTH Boxset

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That really is the BIG question at the moment - to make sure you get all the songs available without having to buy 5 formats in the UK, plus an itunes format and a Japanese import CD!!

Amazon has the box set listed at $79.99 and Barnes and Noble has it listed at 76.79 (69.11 if you're a B&N member. I'm wondering what the retail price will be if you buy it at a midnight or day of release in the store? Here in NYC I assume Virgin Megastore will release it at 12AM on March 3rd. I'm wondering what they will charge for the box set.

I wonder if best buyt will do something like that, I'll check tomorrow :)

That really is the BIG question at the moment - to make sure you get all the songs available without having to buy 5 formats in the UK, plus an itunes format and a Japanese import CD!!

I suppose if worse comes to worst, the bonus or exclusive songs can always be emailed around here by others. :D

I enjoyed the HTDAAB book too. The band's artwork was great - and it had lyrics to Mercy :wink: What I didn't like about the HTDAAB package was the cardboard housing for the CD.

I was also majorly pissed that the book version didn't have Fast Cars but that's another story.

Mine came with Fast Cars.

So who's correct?

Best,
Jason

Lets be serious here.

There's art THEORY (something I've studied for a long time)

and then there's REALITY (everything else)

we can banter back and forth all we want, but the REAL question is which one is more important to you? Theory? or Reality?

I've had these type of discussions more times then I can remember...but somehow it never comes to a real conclusion. Oh well...thats life I guess...Thanks for the discussion though, good discussion is hard to find now a days :)

I have a question, is this boxset version being sold in international markets?

I will only buy from Amazon if I have to.

Hmmm. I'm getting worried about this too.

We don't have many music chains in Australia: JB HiFi, Leading Edge and the Virgin/Sanity group. None of these chains nor Sydney's best record store (Red Eye) have any listing or knowledge of the boxset being available here.

red eye will get an import at least.

I got the vertigo chicago dvd on import form the US two days before it was out in aus

The other day I was chatting to the guy who owns both the Red Eye stores in Sydney and he told me that they'll get the CD in on the day of release, but the box set and vinyl will take up to an extra 2 weeks to show up. He said there is no real way of predicting when, as Universal is more temperamental with the less popular formats. They'll definately get them in, but often they take longer to show because they are in less demand. so basically, If you order it in, you'll definatley get it within two weeks of March 2. Red Eye: :drool:

I haven't asked about NLOTH at JB, but they have a track record of getting in limited edition box sets and the like. They'd definately be my next bet.

The other day I was chatting to the guy who owns both the Red Eye stores in Sydney and he told me that they'll get the CD in on the day of release, but the box set and vinyl will take up to an extra 2 weeks to show up. He said there is no real way of predicting when, as Universal is more temperamental with the less popular formats. They'll definately get them in, but often they take longer to show because they are in less demand. so basically, If you order it in, you'll definatley get it within two weeks of March 2. Red Eye: :drool:

i cant go to sydney without going in. I love it!

Lets be serious here.

There's art THEORY (something I've studied for a long time)

and then there's REALITY (everything else)

we can banter back and forth all we want, but the REAL question is which one is more important to you? Theory? or Reality?

I've had these type of discussions more times then I can remember...but somehow it never comes to a real conclusion. Oh well...thats life I guess...Thanks for the discussion though, good discussion is hard to find now a days :)

I find jasonlee's approach very interesting. I don't think there is any form of "reality" to art. I have experienced many times how the meaning of your own work of art can change with time and other people's interpretation. That's what makes it interesting to me. There is dynamics in art, and many times you don't even know yourself what you're doing until someone else points it out to you. I like to be surprised by my own art and I have found myself so many times just struck by an interpreatation that turned out to offer a totally new perspective on my own art. I find that art can often be surprising for the artists themselves because it often comes from a different place. I like art best that appeals to the unconscious.

i cant go to sydney without going in. I love it!

I made the fatal mistake of getting a job within a five minute walk, so the money that I'm meant to be saving for travel later this year is disappearing rapidly! Theres also Mojo Records just round the corner, who aren't as on the ball with new and rare releases, but have an incredible back catalogue. The amount of money I spend on music is terrifying!

I made the fatal mistake of getting a job within a five minute walk, so the money that I'm meant to be saving for travel later this year is disappearing rapidly!

Back in high school in the mid 80s I used to go to the city a couple of times a year to visit Red Eye (and the old Waterfront & Utopia).

When I started work I spent almost every lunchtime at Red Eye's old Tankstream store. I bought everything U2 every recorded and heaps of bootlegs and rarities there.

I now work above the Virgin Megastore, less than a block from Red Eye and still visit the store twice per week.

I find jasonlee's approach very interesting. I don't think there is any form of "reality" to art. I have experienced many times how the meaning of your own work of art can change with time and other people's interpretation. That's what makes it interesting to me. There is dynamics in art, and many times you don't even know yourself what you're doing until someone else points it out to you. I like to be surprised by my own art and I have found myself so many times just struck by an interpretation that turned out to offer a totally new perspective on my own art. I find that art can often be surprising for the artists themselves because it often comes from a different place. I like art best that appeals to the unconscious.

Honestly, I've heard that argument a billion times. Although its absolutely correct in a sense its not. Too many people point to that argument when its convenient for them. I used to hear it during critiques when many of the people in the class didn't quite see what someone was trying to convey or really "buy" what their piece was about. Thats when that person would play the "Art Card" as we liked to call it, a.k.a the argument that we're talking about.

My comment about 'reality' was pertaining to these types of instances. There is good art and there is not so good art. We all agree on that. There are people who master their craft of painting (for example) and there are those that will never do so. But if you use that argument then there are no masters and their are no apprentices....because "all art is subjective" See where the reality comes into play? You can use that argument as a scapegoat. Thats why I said what I said. Is my opinion of a Picasso work just as important as his intent? In THEORY...yes. In REALITY....No. Picasso was a master painter who mastered his craft and knew exactly what he was doing....I on the other hand am not a master. So if I want to live in the world of "theory" and say that his painting Guernica was about a butcher shop in lower Manhattan, then I have all the right to do that because "art is all speculative" but if I want to be real with myself and try to be real with the work then I do the research, read the hundreds of books about the painting, understand that context behind the symbolism and subject matter and understand it was based on the brutal Spanish Civil was and the bombing of the village of Guernica. (BTW, it is my favorite painting from my favorite painter)

Understand what I'm getting at?

THEORY is all talk, unless you apply it to REALITY....then you get somewhere. I spent 4 years talking about THEORY in college, and it wasn't until I hit the real world and experienced reality that I could understand it all.

This is a pretty cool discussion. I miss this kind of stuff. It allows me to brush the cobwebs off of my brain. :up:

play.com have the uber boxset for £45- frankly it doesn't seem worth the money really-

or £18 for the cd/magazine with downloadable Corbin film, £14 for cd digipak with 36 page book and fold out poster and £9 for the bog standard version

is this Anton Corbin film just a film with the album as the soundtrack or a film about making the album??

am not really bothered about the packaging- will only ever look at it once so I;ll probably go for the bog standard one or the cd digipak thing or I'll get it on itunes (probably both since I tend to lose cd's!)

Honestly, I've heard that argument a billion times. Although its absolutely correct in a sense its not. Too many people point to that argument when its convenient for them. I used to hear it during critiques when many of the people in the class didn't quite see what someone was trying to convey or really "buy" what their piece was about. Thats when that person would play the "Art Card" as we liked to call it, a.k.a the argument that we're talking about.

My comment about 'reality' was pertaining to these types of instances. There is good art and there is not so good art. We all agree on that. There are people who master their craft of painting (for example) and there are those that will never do so. But if you use that argument then there are no masters and their are no apprentices....because "all art is subjective" See where the reality comes into play? You can use that argument as a scapegoat. Thats why I said what I said. Is my opinion of a Picasso work just as important as his intent? In THEORY...yes. In REALITY....No. Picasso was a master painter who mastered his craft and knew exactly what he was doing....I on the other hand am not a master. So if I want to live in the world of "theory" and say that his painting Guernica was about a butcher shop in lower Manhattan, then I have all the right to do that because "art is all speculative" but if I want to be real with myself and try to be real with the work then I do the research, read the hundreds of books about the painting, understand that context behind the symbolism and subject matter and understand it was based on the brutal Spanish Civil was and the bombing of the village of Guernica. (BTW, it is my favorite painting from my favorite painter)

Understand what I'm getting at?

THEORY is all talk, unless you apply it to REALITY....then you get somewhere. I spent 4 years talking about THEORY in college, and it wasn't until I hit the real world and experienced reality that I could understand it all.

This is a pretty cool discussion. I miss this kind of stuff. It allows me to brush the cobwebs off of my brain. :up:

Then you might want to research and study harder, because that makes no sense.

The only way to "understand" a work of art is to separate the art from the artist. The whole purpose of art is to create something bigger than yourself, something that has a life beyond that of the creator. Like I said before, if I have a single intent or agenda, then I should probably be a politician, not an artist. I would only be frustrated if everyone who read any of my works left thinking the same thing, which suggests I've written a preachy polemic, not a story.

And you might care about masters and apprentices, but I certainly don't. Art is not a sport. I think any product of human creativity can be considered art. That doesn't mean it's good, of course, but was Pollack a paint-splattering nut, or was he really an idiot savant artiste?

As a creator, I believe my intent is completely irrelevant. Your opinion of what the work means is equally as valid as anyone else's, including mine. Sometimes, people can set out to make mindless entertainment, and end up creating something that millions find profoundly meaningful to their lives. And more frequently, vice versa.

There are some opinions of my recent screenplay that I find hilariously off-base, but nonetheless, I wouldn't say they're wrong. And I refuse to discuss what my stories are about or what my "intents" are, because art should always be allowed to speak for itself.

But I do understand your point, Surge. A piece of art like War of the Worlds is a story about anti-occupation and the dangers of imperialism... But as a piece of art, it can be interpreted completely differently, or in addition to.

Mostly, I believe art is always bigger than the artist.

Best,
Jason

PS. When I asked "who's correct," I was referring to Bono and The Edge's different interpretation of Original of the Species, so it was rhetorical.

What is going on here? :huh: Are you all debating art theories now?

See, this album's cover alone has already made Interference a more intellectual place (it still has a long way to go, but it's a start :wink:). What's gonna happen when we actually listen to it? :lol:

Then you might want to research and study harder, because that makes no sense.

The only way to "understand" a work of art is to separate the art from the artist. The whole purpose of art is to create something bigger than yourself, something that has a life beyond that of the creator. Like I said before, if I have a single intent or agenda, then I should probably be a politician, not an artist. I would only be frustrated if everyone who read any of my works left thinking the same thing, which suggests I've written a preachy polemic, not a story.

And you might care about masters and apprentices, but I certainly don't. Art is not a sport. I think any product of human creativity can be considered art. That doesn't mean it's good, of course, but was Pollack a paint-splattering nut, or was he really an idiot savant artiste?

As a creator, I believe my intent is completely irrelevant. Your opinion of what the work means is equally as valid as anyone else's, including mine. Sometimes, people can set out to make mindless entertainment, and end up creating something that millions find profoundly meaningful to their lives. And more frequently, vice versa.

There are some opinions of my recent screenplay that I find hilariously off-base, but nonetheless, I wouldn't say they're wrong. And I refuse to discuss what my stories are about or what my "intents" are, because art should always be allowed to speak for itself.

But I do understand your point, Surge. A piece of art like War of the Worlds is a story about anti-occupation and the dangers of imperialism... But as a piece of art, it can be interpreted completely differently, or in addition to.

Mostly, I believe art is always bigger than the artist.

Best,
Jason

PS. When I asked "who's correct," I was referring to Bono and The Edge's different interpretation of Original of the Species, so it was rhetorical.

We agree to disagree. I don't think I need to "study harder" as a matter of fact I think too many people study "too much" when it comes to art. I've met a lot of people who can talk a good game about art, but their work just doesn't hold the substance that their words do. I'm not saying this as a diss to you...I'm merely speaking of some of my colleagues over the years.

Our biggest fundamental difference in our debate here lies on the importance of artist intent. Its kind of a moot point to argue because no matter which way you take the discussion, it kind of comes back to that issue. Is artist intent important or not? I believe it is, you don't. Should art speak for itself? in a perfect world...yes. But you and I know that's not always the case. Again, we can argue till the cows come home, and trust me I've done it and I'm sure you have to...but we would circle back to the afore mentioned issue, which has no right or wrong answer. But in the end...thats the great thing about art....its not about the answer...its about everything else.

BTW, funny you should mention Pollock....he's my OTHER favorite artist other than Picasso. Its funny too, because judging by what I just said about artist intent you would think I'd hate Pollock because his paintings fit exactly into YOUR theory. LOL! Maybe I haven't quite figured this whole thing out just yet :wink: Contradiction is balance....right?

Thanks for the discussion. Great points by all. Cheers.

Updated U2 Myspace Page

The U2 Myspace Page has been updated to include GOYB.

It also has the boxset

artwork.jpg

-Not sure if this deserved its own thread or not-

It also has the boxset

artwork.jpg

A bit pricey, but that's the one I'm buying. I love the Graphic Design team U2 uses(Four5One), and this package and design look amazing. The Black and White is stark, but effective. I'm not a fan of the cardboard sleeves for the CDs, but since I listen on my iPod anyways, it's not a big deal anymore. I highly recommend the book "Stealing Hearts at a Traveling Show:The Graphic Design of U2" for those interested in the subject of art. I am a huge fan of the images the band have chosen thus far to promote the album. :applaud:

Hey everyone,

Amazon just dropped the price on the box set to $66!!! And with free shipping, it seems like I pretty good deal...

...so of couse I went ahead and picked one up :)

Mario

It also has the boxset

artwork.jpg

This is probably not case as the equal sign on the artwork above is already there in the folded-out digipack, but what if... the artwork on the digipack would be without the equal-sign (as in the amazon.com pictures) and the digipack is held together by a see through thick plastic sleeve, which only features the equal sign in grey on the center?... I would definately dig that!

On a more serious note, on u2france.com I read about French actor Saïd Taghmaoui who is starring in 'Linear', the accompanying Corbijn film.
My french is not what it used to be :hmm: but this is what I read:

Résultat : il a tourné une heure et demi de film sous la direction d’Antoine Corbin. Découpé en 14 morceaux pour illustrer les 14 titres de l’album, ce film sera intégré sur le CD en bonus.

he filmed 1,5 hours of footage under direction of Anton Corbijn. He turns up in 14 pieces of film to illustrate the 14 numbers on the album...

14 numbers?! 1,5 hours of footage?! Seems there is more to Linear than meets the eye! (Like the cover... love the flames!)

Hey everyone,

Amazon just dropped the price on the box set to $66!!! And with free shipping, it seems like I pretty good deal...

...so of couse I went ahead and picked one up :)

Mario

I just pre-ordered it at Amazon.com myself!

Back
Top Bottom