U2 needs to look up the word 'horizon'

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe, and I'm just going to throw this out there...

Maybe he said that because every single person not furiously looking it up in the dictionary understands exactly what he's trying to convey by saying "no line on the horizon."

Honestly, this thread is kind of absurd.

Are you kidding? I wasn't supposed to follow along in my dictionary?

It didn't work all that well for Miss Sarajevo anyway.

:hmm: I might have to find a good one.

I'll drink to that.
45547060.Cheers.gif

GibsonExplorer — As a writer, I can see your point. At the same time though, I don't think Bono is totally off. He could've just titled it "No Horizon," yes, but he's obviously trying to evoke some kind of imagery or concept. I say wait until we read the lyrics to make a complete judgement call.

Maybe instead of the title reading basically 'no line on the line' it is a reference to the loss of American innocence.

From Hands That Built America

"It’s early fall, there’s a cloud on the New York skyline
Innocence dragged across a yellow line"

The yellow line is the horizon. Maybe Bono is saying innocence was pulled away by September 11th and now he can't see that innocence at all. With his views on torture and such you could see why he might say that. He could actually be saying that terrorism dragged innocence from America but that now instead of that innocence being a memorial and symbol for America it has been let go in favor of foreign wars and torture.

I think the "yellow line" in the song is either the yellow traffic lines you see on streets, or police tape. Those are two I've heard of.

Actually, I liked Bonochick's first post in this thread best. Horizon is defined as:

The range of one's knowledge, experience, or interest

Because that's exactly what comes to mind when I read the original post.

We have a proverb in my language: Extend your horizon. I think some people here should really consider doing that.

Actually, I liked Bonochick's first post in this thread best. Horizon is defined as:

The range of one's knowledge, experience, or interest

Because that's exactly what comes to mind when I read the original post.

We have a proverb in my language: Extend your horizon. I think some people here should really consider doing that.

Good point. We just need to wait for the lyrics. Context is always important.

On a serious note, I'd also like to add that what's "on the horizon" can refer to the future, or what's coming up next. Thus, "no line on the horizon" can be eluding to no limits to the future and its possibilities.

Just wanted to throw that out there. :)

There's no line on the horizon so you should dream out loud (wait, that one isn't right either...can you ACTUALLY dream out loud?).

On a serious note, I'd also like to add that what's "on the horizon" can refer to the future, or what's coming up next. Thus, "no line on the horizon" can be eluding to no limits to the future and its possibilities.

Just wanted to throw that out there. :)

That sounds like Zooropa's modus operandi with a different vocabulary to express it. I like.

"No Line on the Horizon" suggests the removal of a line that many believe to be there.

Thus it makes absolute sense. I thought it was a sort of saying anyway, not a phrase U2 invented.

Still not as bad as calling a song "Stuck in a Moment You Can't Get Out Of" instead of simply "Stuck in a Moment."

I would quote the dictionary's definition of "stuck" but I think you all know where I'm going with this, lol

:wink:

people. did anybody learn how to dismantle an atomic bomb after listening to the last album?

"How to dismantle an atomic bomb"?! yeah jeesus that's false advertising that is! i totally want my money back! lmfao ;)

There's no line on the horizon so you should dream out loud (wait, that one isn't right either...can you ACTUALLY dream out loud?).

yeah when you talk in your sleep of course! hahaha ;)

oh god this thread is killing me!

Bono must have also been literal when he said...

Surrounding me, going down on me
Spilling over the brim

Oh teh scandal!!!!1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom