U2 interview on Pitchfork.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This sort of felt like the Greg Kot exchange during the last album, only the interview that came out of the Kot exchange was a lot more memorable, and a lot more probing. Richardson honestly looked anxious the entire time, and justifiably; his colleague had slammed a really influential band's record, and he had to go meet the guys for the clean up. Still, in defending Dombal's review, if you look at the news segments about U2 that preceded the record release, it's clear that he too was probably a fan, in spite of himself a fan, who couldn't quite palate the last decade of releases, or the latest one. And who hasn't felt that at some point? The review was harsh at times, but Dombal was also sympathetic (can U2 still make relevant records was a genuine question throughout that review). Still, likening an Edge lick as a 'fart' - that was pretty fucking rough.

In that sense, the grace that the band showed in doing the interview, of speaking quite earnestly about 'music as sacrament,' etc, was pretty moving, I thought. And it's not like U2 hasn't been down this road before - remember the "Village Voice" comment during the Grammys?

As for Pitchfork's love for throw away pop, there's been a pretty concerted effort for the past decade or so to embrace more hip hop and r & b and dance, etc; they had to redo their best of 90s list, after they realized that they didn't have more than a couple Black artists on that (how messed up is that they ignored the entire genre of hip hop?). Pitchfork always reminded me of the nerdy white hipsters who were no doubt creative, but so stuck up their own arse, they were a pain to be around. Still, when you read a positive review on Pitchfork - something like the Animal Collective review - you can tell there is a really genuine appreciation for the kind of ecstatic music that U2 once pulled off quite regularly. They aren't haters for haters' sake.

I don't know, I used to hate Pitchfork for bashing bands I like, but now I dont care. Who cares if they don't like U2? I'm not so insecure that I need their blessing to listen to the music I like. The fact is that unlike big music publications, they don't heap attention and praise on unintelligent, cliche'd, tired, annoying, no tallent bands like Rolling Stone and award Shows like the grammys. Pay attention to the bands they praise and you'll discover a lot of amazing music. This year has been one of my favorite years in music and a big part of that is because I looked through Pitchfork's lists and gave some of the bands they praise a chance. Sure, they hate some good music, but they love a lot of great music.

I don't know, I used to hate Pitchfork for bashing bands I like, but now I dont care. Who cares if they don't like U2? I'm not so insecure that I need their blessing to listen to the music I like. The fact is that unlike big music publications, they don't heap attention and praise on unintelligent, cliche'd, tired, annoying, no tallent bands like Rolling Stone and award Shows like the grammys. Pay attention to the bands they praise and you'll discover a lot of amazing music. This year has been one of my favorite years in music and a big part of that is because I looked through Pitchfork's lists and gave some of the bands they praise a chance. Sure, they hate some good music, but they love a lot of great music.

i agree. Atease's music forum has also been a great contributer to my library as well.

ROFL at Adam's expression. I bet Adam's thinking "Boy are you in for it now Bono." after he said JT was the album before AB. :D

this incredibly poor interview is the exact reason why I don't read Pitchfork
an interviewer with no idea still trying to make some preconceived point resulting in awkward nonsense

ROFL at Adam's expression. I bet Adam's thinking "Boy are you in for it now Bono." after he said JT was the album before AB. :D

It's funny how they gloss over R&H at times as just a little add-on to JT. Paul McG just did that in another interview recently. It is a double freakin' album.

I really enjoyed the interview and really enjoyed how the band responded. I just wish it had been longer. It was nice to see Bono pay homage to Pitchfork. Very cool.
Thanks for posting -- let us know when Part 2 is available.

Two things made me laugh: 1) Adam's smiling to himself after Bono repeats the "chopping down the Joshua Tree" quote for the 4000th time, and getting the chronology wrong (he says JT was the album before Achtung). 2) Edge's appreciation of Bono's anecdote about Blackwell's comment on Bob Marley -- maybe Edge had actually never heard that one before?

If nothing else, the fact that Bono himself doesn't know in what order U2 released albums should tell some people on this forum that they need to get a life.
Actually, the interesting thing is that Pitchfork is very poorly informed about U2 stuff, so it's good for them to get these anecdotes, although boring for us. This should have been an hour-long interview.

This sort of felt like the Greg Kot exchange during the last album, only the interview that came out of the Kot exchange was a lot more memorable, and a lot more probing. Richardson honestly looked anxious the entire time, and justifiably; his colleague had slammed a really influential band's record, and he had to go meet the guys for the clean up. Still, in defending Dombal's review, if you look at the news segments about U2 that preceded the record release, it's clear that he too was probably a fan, in spite of himself a fan, who couldn't quite palate the last decade of releases, or the latest one. And who hasn't felt that at some point? The review was harsh at times, but Dombal was also sympathetic (can U2 still make relevant records was a genuine question throughout that review). Still, likening an Edge lick as a 'fart' - that was pretty fucking rough.

In that sense, the grace that the band showed in doing the interview, of speaking quite earnestly about 'music as sacrament,' etc, was pretty moving, I thought. And it's not like U2 hasn't been down this road before - remember the "Village Voice" comment during the Grammys?

As for Pitchfork's love for throw away pop, there's been a pretty concerted effort for the past decade or so to embrace more hip hop and r & b and dance, etc; they had to redo their best of 90s list, after they realized that they didn't have more than a couple Black artists on that (how messed up is that they ignored the entire genre of hip hop?). Pitchfork always reminded me of the nerdy white hipsters who were no doubt creative, but so stuck up their own arse, they were a pain to be around. Still, when you read a positive review on Pitchfork - something like the Animal Collective review - you can tell there is a really genuine appreciation for the kind of ecstatic music that U2 once pulled off quite regularly. They aren't haters for haters' sake.
I haven't read the Pitchfork review yet, but if Ryan Dombal reviewed it, I have very little respect for that guy; very immature -- all praising for a pretentious, arrogant, and unfair dick like Morrissey, but quick to take characterize Robert Smith defending fans from unfair pricing on itunes as "bitching". He's such an ass. Hate the guy.

If there's one less from reviews on Pitchfork, there's very little consensus among the reviewers; it's just one person's opinion and doesn't go through a rigorous editorial process. Notice how some love Thom Yorke's "The Eraser" and "In Rainbows Disc 2", but how they both got 6.something's? And what about all those 0.0 reviews? Do those really make any sense. Jet isn't as bad as a peeing monkey, okay.

i wouldn't necessarily say that Pitchfork is complete rubbish. much of the music i listen to is drooled over by Pitchfork. with that said, it seems like they've had a vendetta against U2 for years, which unfortunately has had a negative influence on a generation. i've met people that hate U2 even though they can't even name any of their songs. yet their hate for U2 is very strong. and i'm not saying it's all Pitchfork's fault. but it's just puzzling why some people feel like they need to hate U2 to be considered a smart music fan.

that sounds like a magazine that would incite violence amongst britain's youth.

Maybe...

U2-Smash-Hits-433208.jpg

TT927SmashHits.jpg

Smash Hits and its US equivalent Star Hits was AMAZING. I was so in love with that magazine when I was a teenager. It was weird and funny, and covered bands I cared about at the time.

I was so very, very sad when it folded. :(

This interview seemed pretty good to me. Adam's first answer was the best thing, because he said in that phrase "built-in obsolescence" everything that Bono and the Edge were reaching for. However, outside of Bono's final response and a little bit of posturing, I thought they were spot-on.

Adam's second answer was pedestrian and his open remark to that second question was riddled with bitterness, but good on him. He's too intelligent to be relegated to the back seat.

Back
Top Bottom