U2 have finally found what they are looking for: mediocrity? - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Where The Album Has A Name - Songs of Experience
Click Here to Login

Old 03-04-2014, 11:12 AM   #31
Ghost of Love

Local Time: 04:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitize View Post
New age mystic bullshit

http://home.cogeco.ca/~october/images/sheeep.jpg

Don't push this button:

I'm serious, don't!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyagu_Anaykus View Post
Interference is my Earth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvox View Post
Consequently, Earth is an experimental disaster.

If you keep going, you have only your self to blame

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Best Interferencer On The Damn Planet View Post
Edge:
too sexy for his amp
too sexy for his cap
too sexy for that god-damned headset
I told you

gvox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 11:46 AM   #32
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aMansAman View Post
Yes .. that IS all.

U2 just have to be epic - I loved them because of their Epicness.

I mean who wants U2 to be anything else but EPIC?

I can listen to Ordinary Love or Invisible without crying like a Chrissy Martin, there must be something wrong !

I just think it's funny that you think they can just turn it off and on when wanted. Some musicians strive for a lifetime to be "epic".

And also it's a tall order because what might be epic for you may not be epic for me. For example, many would not describe RTSS as epic.

So it really doesn't mean much, it sounds more like you're saying, U2 just needs to be making music I like again.

Old 03-04-2014, 12:14 PM   #33
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 09:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by popacrobat View Post
epic is one of the most overused and abused words today.
Indeed...right along with "classic" as an abused term. Or the oxymoronic "instant classic".

I actually don't think U2 has more than a few epic songs. MOS is certainly epic, and COBL certainly strives to be epic (but doesn't quite get there). Before that the last truly epic U2 song was Streets.

U2 had no epic songs in the 90's. That's not a slam on those songs, they just weren't designed that way.
Old 03-04-2014, 12:34 PM   #34
Refugee

Local Time: 08:05 PM
I think they can crank out epicness whenever they want but they purposely pull punches. By this point, it's a formula and others (coldplay?) have been very successful following the craft and production.

Can you imagine the number of songs U2 has ditched over their career because they are too familiar, too paint-by-numbers U2? That's the challenge of making good music at this point in their career.
Old 03-04-2014, 01:53 PM   #35
Blue Crack Distributor

This thread is epic
Old 03-04-2014, 02:00 PM   #36
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

#epicfail
Old 03-04-2014, 02:24 PM   #37
War Child

Local Time: 10:05 PM
OK you smart people - then try to express your feelings NOT in your native language .. how about explaining to me your favourite U2 sound in german?

You can replace epic with timeless, heartbreaking music based on rolling basslines, soaring vocals and a guitar which grows slowly but relentlessy from a subtle tasting Horsd'œuvre to a cracking final.

And regarding this "you want U2 to make music you like" - well that will always be a personal thing, for everyone ....

U2 is a very important band in music history .. and I just hope that they keep their level of artistic grandezza .
Old 03-04-2014, 02:37 PM   #38
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvox View Post
Try flying in/out of there! Better pad your trip plans with an extra day on each end. #beleeedat
This.... place mine as well be in Siberia
Old 03-04-2014, 05:34 PM   #39
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 01:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick66 View Post
Indeed...right along with "classic" as an abused term. Or the oxymoronic "instant classic".

I actually don't think U2 has more than a few epic songs. MOS is certainly epic, and COBL certainly strives to be epic (but doesn't quite get there). Before that the last truly epic U2 song was Streets.

U2 had no epic songs in the 90's. That's not a slam on those songs, they just weren't designed that way.

I completely agree with this post. I might also include "Bad" as epic along with the two songs you chose. While MOS never was a single, neither was "Bad". Plus, MOS it remained the closer throughout the 360 tour. I hope U2 knows how incredible this song really is and continues to keep it in rotation.

"One" was close to being epic, but I would call most of U2's 80's and 90's hits "classic" at this point.

Producing something that is "epic" is truly a challenge. As the term is so subjective, it does become difficult to define. The fact that U2 have at least three epic songs (IMO) is one reasons they are considered amongst the best.
Old 03-04-2014, 05:44 PM   #40
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
You can replace epic with timeless, heartbreaking music based on rolling basslines, soaring vocals and a guitar which grows slowly but relentlessy from a subtle tasting Horsd'œuvre to a cracking final.
see, that's much better, and offers some insight to what you really mean. it's not just you with the word epic, it's just a pet peeve of mine.
Old 03-04-2014, 06:22 PM   #41
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Aside from "Moment Of Surrender" (to some extent) ... which was the last U2 Song which you would call "epic" ...

Is "Being Born" an epic song? Is "Unknown Caller" an epic song? Is "City Of Blinding Lights" .... epic?

I mean those mentioned songs are not bad ... COBL is a nice uplifting song .. Beautiful Day is euphoric .. which I also like ..

If I were in a position to pronounce a wish ... that would be .. just write some epic songs ... what is epic? For me ... that's in the lines of "Unforgettable Fire", "New Year's Day" ... "Acrobat" ... "Bad" ... "Running To Stand Still" ... "Love Is Blindness" ... "Ultraviolet" .. you get the picture.

I have no problem with U2 wanting some "hits" .. but they have to come up with some real mind goggling, brain f*#ing stuff to be "relevant" .. for me
some of this is so subjective......

if a song has an epic some seconds, part ot full song then it will be on my list of epic; even if it's just a few seconds if it is that powerful for me. and I looked up the definition of epic in The Oxford's English Dictionary (i speak 'Merican & English).

So BB, UC, COBL- each of these are epic to me in various permutations of grandness

In BB when they switch into the lines..
"... Lights flash pass...like memories..."

singing in either over-dubbed or the 3 of them in one take... the singing is so splendid ...it sonically hovers... and feels like Light filling the space

UC
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeevey View Post
Interesting. I really relate to the themes of isolation and disconnection is a crowded and hyperconnected world quite a lot. The lyrics don't operate well independently from the music, but in combination they make a stream of consciousness kind of impression that I find very, very emotionally effective.
definately agree that it would not work without the music.

In concert the only time I heard it was when I was 3/4 of the way back and?12 rows away from the very top of (old) Giants Stadium < and very close to where I saw my only ZOO-TV show> .

They finally got the sound right (volume-wise) 2 or 3 songs into the show - so that even though I was that high up- I still felt like being pretty enveloped by the sound!

The various chanted choruses were fantasic floating up to me ...these mysterious orders and encouragements from the uc while over-looking the (genuinely) epic Claw & screen!

COBL The ?bridge and the final chorus particularly as the song has been building in epicness
are fantastic!
Especially for me because I heard it live first time at the (got in as gen public let in later in the afternoon) Brooklyn Bridge MTV show.
I was about the equivalent of 15 rows away on the diagonal from the band (5 rows from the speakers wall on Edge's side; the Brroklyn Bridge soaring behind them and further on the diamonded lights of Lower Manhattan glitrtering in the dark evening sky of Nov. Wow!

The songs I highlighted in red -- I don't find epic but that's my take

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick66 View Post
The song you're looking for is Zooropa.
wait.... what?!?
there can't be more than one song wioth that similar theme ??

ETA

dear NYD is for now no longer epic for me ( though I still consider War their break-out album, and I'ved been a fan since late 80/81> I went through that with Streets 98 (on radio)- 2001 (live) and while still have not returned to the level of epicness it had for me from the album's realease
; I've gotten more into hearing it again live. (NYD is so iconic had to 'splain that)
Old 03-04-2014, 06:33 PM   #42
Refugee

Local Time: 08:05 PM
EPIC or NON-EPIC...for me there's no preference. If it results in a good song that's all that matters. It could be kitchen sink production or a field recording. Doesn't matter.
Old 03-04-2014, 06:36 PM   #43
Blue Crack Addict

I like half epic songs.

Sent from my Note 3 using my S-pen.
Old 03-04-2014, 07:06 PM   #44
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Epic thread
Old 03-04-2014, 07:13 PM   #45
Rock n' Roll Doggie