U2 have finally found what they are looking for: mediocrity?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
boring.gif

One things for sure, Coldplay are the most mediocre band out there.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using U2 Interference mobile app

Indeed...right along with "classic" as an abused term. Or the oxymoronic "instant classic".

I actually don't think U2 has more than a few epic songs. MOS is certainly epic, and COBL certainly strives to be epic (but doesn't quite get there). Before that the last truly epic U2 song was Streets.

U2 had no epic songs in the 90's. That's not a slam on those songs, they just weren't designed that way.

You just compared MOS and COBL to Streets.

Huh.

I like epic, with a side of mid tempo up beat barn burner classic neophyte hard edged
beatlesesque, dylanesque , proto post rock ,retro new age, alt post soft rock. With just a hint of mister mister lyrical influence.

Früher habe ich die Welt regieren
Meere steigen würde, wenn ich gab das Wort
Jetzt in der Morgen habe ich alleine schlafen
Fegen die Straßen, die ich verwendet, um besitzen

Ich verwendet, um die Würfel zu rollen
Spüren Sie die Angst in den Augen meiner Feinde
Hören Sie, wie die Menge singen würde
"Jetzt ist der alte König ist tot, es lebe der König!"

Eine Minute, die ich den Schlüssel
Weiter wurden die Wände auf mich geschlossen
Und ich entdeckte, dass meine Burgen stehen
Bei Salzsäulen und Säulen aus Sand

Ich höre Jerusalem Glocken läuten
Römischen Kavallerie-Chöre singen
Sei mein Spiegel, mein Schwert und Schild
Meine Missionare in einem fremden Feld

Aus irgendeinem Grund kann ich nicht erklären
Wenn Sie gehen, es gab nie
Nie ein ehrliches Wort
Und das war, als ich die Welt regierte

Es war der böse und wild wind
Blies die Türen zu mir lassen
Zerbrochene Fenster und der Klang der Trommeln
Die Leute konnten nicht glauben, was ich geworden

Revolutionäre warten
Für meinen Kopf auf einem Silberteller
Nur eine Marionette auf einer einsamen String
Oh, die immer wollen König sein würde?

Ich weiß, Saint Peter meinen Namen nicht nennen
Nie ein ehrliches Wort
Aber das war, als ich die Welt regierte

Oh oh oh oh oh oh oh

Ich weiß, Saint Peter meinen Namen nicht nennen
Nie ein ehrliches Wort
Aber das war, als ich die Welt regierte

The fact that people are using the terms "mediocre" and "epic" in comparison to each other shows just how abused and misunderstood the term "epic" has become, in particular regarding describing music or film. "Mediocre" describes quality; "epic" is in relation to size and scope. Something can be both mediocre and epic at the same time. There's no "in between" epic and mediocre...it's a discussion of two different things (at least as "epic" is correctly used...slang is a different thing).

Troy was an epic film based on an epic poem; it was also mediocre. Acrobat is an outstanding song but is not "epic". When someone hears something they like and exclaims "That's epic dude", they are either channeling Bill & Ted or they just have no idea what epic means. Or often times both.

U2 does have a few epic songs, but almost all of them are from the 80's; there were none in the 90's, and a couple contenders (at most) in the 00's.
No squared.

ep·ic
ˈepik/Submit
noun
noun: epic; plural noun: epics
1. a long poem, typically one derived from ancient oral tradition, narrating the deeds and adventures of heroic or legendary figures or the history of a nation.

synonyms:heroic poem; More
the genre of epic poems.

"the romances display gentler emotions not found in Greek epic"

2. a long film, book, or other work portraying heroic deeds and adventures or covering an extended period of time.

"a Hollywood biblical epic"
synonyms:long film; More

adjective
adjective: epic
1.of, relating to, or characteristic of an epic or epics.

"England's national epic poem Beowulf"

synonyms:heroic, long, grand, monumental, Homeric, Miltonian More

2. heroic or grand in scale or character.

"his epic journey around the world"
synonyms:ambitious, heroic, grand, great, Herculean; More

informal
particularly impressive or remarkable.
"the gig last night was epic"
Origin

late 16th cent. (as an adjective): via Latin from Greek epikos, from epos ‘word, song,’ related to eipein ‘say.’

:love:
ep·ic
ˈepik/Submit
noun
noun: epic; plural noun: epics
1. a long poem, typically one derived from ancient oral tradition, narrating the deeds and adventures of heroic or legendary figures or the history of a nation.

synonyms:heroic poem; More
the genre of epic poems.

"the romances display gentler emotions not found in Greek epic"

2. a long film, book, or other work portraying heroic deeds and adventures or covering an extended period of time.

"a Hollywood biblical epic"
synonyms:long film; More

adjective
adjective: epic
1.of, relating to, or characteristic of an epic or epics.

"England's national epic poem Beowulf"

synonyms:heroic, long, grand, monumental, Homeric, Miltonian More

2. heroic or grand in scale or character.

"his epic journey around the world"
synonyms:ambitious, heroic, grand, great, Herculean; More

informal
particularly impressive or remarkable.
"the gig last night was epic"
Origin

late 16th cent. (as an adjective): via Latin from Greek epikos, from epos ‘word, song,’ related to eipein ‘say.’

Apparently, they tried getting mediocrity out of Danger Mouse. Couldn't do it so they scratched the sessions and started over with Tedder.

Apparently, they tried getting mediocrity out of Danger Mouse. Couldn't do it so they scratched the sessions and started over with Tedder.
I have a feeling that the music is actually very, very, very good. Some would call it amazing. But they don't feel it's "great". And they're probably right. I don't really want an album from U2 that isn't great, to be honest. The "magic" is what has defined U2's best albums. Just listen to the difference between a song like 'Invisible' and a song that breathes like 'Kite' or 'Red Hill Mining Town' or 'The First Time' or 'Moment of Surrender' or 'If You Wear That Velvet Dress', for example. That's what U2 seems to be missing. You cannot replace magic with anything contrived, not even a killer hook and melody.

I think the most likely way this delay could be good for the music is if they scrap everything and set themselves some arbitrary external deadline, total change of working style. And also that there is zero likelihood of this happening.

I really, really want the album to be good. I also want it to come out, though.

Delaying doesn't mean better music. The music will be more overproduced and than it's less pure. Record in a week, then we'll see, you can make a classic.

And U2 aren't ready to be lumped with The Stones or Springsteen yet.

I wish U2 were ready to be lumped in with Springsteen. Since 2002 we've gotten 7 albums, almost constant touring and unpredictable live shows.

Some of his newer stuff has it's detractors of course but I'd put The Rising, Magic or Wrecking Ball up against Bomb and No Line any day.

Right?

Add 3+ hour shows to that list, playing full albums in a show, sensible GA line organization, taking requests from the audience ... I'd sign up for U2 to be the new Springsteen any day.

Great article. I'm reading comments that this is a very typical view, but that's not the case in the mainstream media. Check any article from "Rolling Stone" or "The New York Times" or any talk show host or CNN; they're full of praise of U2 and not critical of the band artistically at all. This article gets it right.

It's also why I'm glad U2 is retooling; "Invisible" is okay by 2000s U2 standards, but pretty terrible by the standards of the albums that made them such a success in the '80s and early '90s. It's an unacceptably bad song, as was "Vertigo" and "Get on Your Boots". Even the lame "Window in the Skies" is more fun. Maybe, it won't make a difference, but there's now a chance. I don't need another mediocre U2 album with a few decent songs, at best; I want great work.

Back
Top Bottom