U2 have finally found what they are looking for: mediocrity?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes .. that IS all.

U2 just have to be epic - I loved them because of their Epicness.

I mean who wants U2 to be anything else but EPIC?

I can listen to Ordinary Love or Invisible without crying like a Chrissy Martin, there must be something wrong !

I just think it's funny that you think they can just turn it off and on when wanted. Some musicians strive for a lifetime to be "epic".

And also it's a tall order because what might be epic for you may not be epic for me. For example, many would not describe RTSS as epic.

So it really doesn't mean much, it sounds more like you're saying, U2 just needs to be making music I like again.

epic is one of the most overused and abused words today.

Indeed...right along with "classic" as an abused term. Or the oxymoronic "instant classic".

I actually don't think U2 has more than a few epic songs. MOS is certainly epic, and COBL certainly strives to be epic (but doesn't quite get there). Before that the last truly epic U2 song was Streets.

U2 had no epic songs in the 90's. That's not a slam on those songs, they just weren't designed that way.

I think they can crank out epicness whenever they want but they purposely pull punches. By this point, it's a formula and others (coldplay?) have been very successful following the craft and production.

Can you imagine the number of songs U2 has ditched over their career because they are too familiar, too paint-by-numbers U2? That's the challenge of making good music at this point in their career.

OK you smart people - then try to express your feelings NOT in your native language .. how about explaining to me your favourite U2 sound in german?

You can replace epic with timeless, heartbreaking music based on rolling basslines, soaring vocals and a guitar which grows slowly but relentlessy from a subtle tasting Horsd'œuvre to a cracking final.

And regarding this "you want U2 to make music you like" - well that will always be a personal thing, for everyone ....

U2 is a very important band in music history .. and I just hope that they keep their level of artistic grandezza .

Indeed...right along with "classic" as an abused term. Or the oxymoronic "instant classic".

I actually don't think U2 has more than a few epic songs. MOS is certainly epic, and COBL certainly strives to be epic (but doesn't quite get there). Before that the last truly epic U2 song was Streets.

U2 had no epic songs in the 90's. That's not a slam on those songs, they just weren't designed that way.

I completely agree with this post. I might also include "Bad" as epic along with the two songs you chose. While MOS never was a single, neither was "Bad". Plus, MOS it remained the closer throughout the 360 tour. I hope U2 knows how incredible this song really is and continues to keep it in rotation.

"One" was close to being epic, but I would call most of U2's 80's and 90's hits "classic" at this point.

Producing something that is "epic" is truly a challenge. As the term is so subjective, it does become difficult to define. The fact that U2 have at least three epic songs (IMO) is one reasons they are considered amongst the best.

You can replace epic with timeless, heartbreaking music based on rolling basslines, soaring vocals and a guitar which grows slowly but relentlessy from a subtle tasting Horsd'œuvre to a cracking final.

see, that's much better, and offers some insight to what you really mean. it's not just you with the word epic, it's just a pet peeve of mine.

Aside from "Moment Of Surrender" (to some extent) ... which was the last U2 Song which you would call "epic" ...

Is "Being Born" an epic song? Is "Unknown Caller" an epic song? Is "City Of Blinding Lights" .... epic?

I mean those mentioned songs are not bad ... COBL is a nice uplifting song .. Beautiful Day is euphoric .. which I also like ..

If I were in a position to pronounce a wish ... that would be .. just write some epic songs ... what is epic? For me ... that's in the lines of "Unforgettable Fire", "New Year's Day" ... "Acrobat" ... "Bad" ... "Running To Stand Still" ... "Love Is Blindness" ... "Ultraviolet" .. you get the picture.

I have no problem with U2 wanting some "hits" .. but they have to come up with some real mind goggling, brain f*#ing stuff to be "relevant" .. for me

some of this is so subjective......

if a song has an epic some seconds, part ot full song then it will be on my list of epic; even if it's just a few seconds if it is that powerful for me. and I looked up the definition of epic in The Oxford's English Dictionary (i speak 'Merican & English).

So BB, UC, COBL- each of these are epic to me in various permutations of grandness

In BB when they switch into the lines..
"... Lights flash pass...like memories..."

singing in either over-dubbed or the 3 of them in one take... the singing is so splendid ...it sonically hovers... and feels like Light filling the space

UC
Interesting. I really relate to the themes of isolation and disconnection is a crowded and hyperconnected world quite a lot. The lyrics don't operate well independently from the music, but in combination they make a stream of consciousness kind of impression that I find very, very emotionally effective.

definately agree that it would not work without the music.

In concert the only time I heard it was when I was 3/4 of the way back and?12 rows away from the very top of (old) Giants Stadium < and very close to where I saw my only ZOO-TV show> .

They finally got the sound right (volume-wise) 2 or 3 songs into the show - so that even though I was that high up- I still felt like being pretty enveloped by the sound!

The various chanted choruses were fantasic floating up to me ...these mysterious orders and encouragements from the uc while over-looking the (genuinely) epic Claw & screen!

COBL The ?bridge and the final chorus particularly as the song has been building in epicness
are fantastic!
Especially for me because I heard it live first time at the (got in as gen public let in later in the afternoon) Brooklyn Bridge MTV show.
I was about the equivalent of 15 rows away on the diagonal from the band (5 rows from the speakers wall on Edge's side; the Brroklyn Bridge soaring behind them and further on the diamonded lights of Lower Manhattan glitrtering in the dark evening sky of Nov. Wow!

The songs I highlighted in red -- I don't find epic but that's my take :)

The song you're looking for is Zooropa.

wait.... what?!? :ohmy:
there can't be more than one song wioth that similar theme ??

:wink:

ETA

dear NYD is for now no longer epic for me ( though I still consider War their break-out album, and I'ved been a fan since late 80/81> I went through that with Streets 98 (on radio)- 2001 (live) and while still have not returned to the level of epicness it had for me from the album's realease
; I've gotten more into hearing it again live. (NYD is so iconic had to 'splain that)

EPIC or NON-EPIC...for me there's no preference. If it results in a good song that's all that matters. It could be kitchen sink production or a field recording. Doesn't matter.

'All I Want Is You' is most certainly an epic song (which came after 'Streets'). 'One' delves into epic territory as well during the, "Love is a temple...." lines and the ending of the live versions. 'Stay' almost reached it, but instead reached a more subdued level of brilliance ala 'Running to Stand Still'.

Guys. I just bought a Spigen Neo Hybrid case for my phone.

Sent from my Note 3 using my S-pen.

'All I Want Is You' is most certainly an epic song (which came after 'Streets'). 'One' delves into epic territory as well during the, "Love is a temple...." lines and the ending of the live versions. 'Stay' almost reached it, but instead reached a more subdued level of brilliance ala 'Running to Stand Still'.

There are certainly songs from the 80s into 90s that venture firmly into epic territory when U2 plays them live. All I Want Is You. Running To Stand Still. One. Streets. Bad. WOWY.

Stay is not one of them, though.

And while I think Zooropa on the album is definitely a slow building epic tune, I'm not so sure recent live performances of it were as epic. Although it was certainly good.

I'm not sure there are many from the 00s that can be considered epic tho. With U2, it's almost as if the energy from the crowd drives the epic nature of some of these songs live. And lets face it, even though I'm sure they'd love to consider something like Moment of Surrender epic, again Im not so sure it really hits it out of the park with the audience yet. Maybe it needs another tour.

U2 ist episch
:applaud:

and now try to express in German language what you connect with this word!

I introduced "epic" on purpose of course - in order to contradict the thread's title "mediocrity".

And for me there is a realistic chance-that U2's musical output might end up being "average" ... If a complete album would be in line with Invisible and Ordinary Love, quality-wise.. I'd still like it for sure ... but I would not really dig it - on the other hand ... during my 20+years "fan-career" they surprised me more than once ... so why not again ?

:applaud:

and now try to express in German language what you connect with this word!

I introduced "epic" on purpose of course - in order to contradict the thread's title "mediocrity".

And for me there is a realistic chance-that U2's musical output might end up being "average" ... If a complete album would be in line with Invisible and Ordinary Love, quality-wise.. I'd still like it for sure ... but I would not really dig it - on the other hand ... during my 20+years "fan-career" they surprised me more than once ... so why not again ?

Aber warum mussen wir Deutsch sprachen? Dieser forum ist fur Englischer sprache....

There's quite a big difference between epic and mediocrity, and there's so much in between there. Same goes with U2 songs. Some are epic, some are mediocre, and some are in between. If you want U2 to just be epic, give up the dream now, it's not going to happen. They never were and never will be able to write perfect songs all the time.

@Galeongirl: Because I was kind of accused of using the word "epic" ... and I thought "epic" would translate into a sound description of "the bigger than big U2" .. but I was wrong .. and that was my "fault" ... everybody thinks about it differently..

but in the meantime I think you all know what I meant with wanting the "epic U2" back ...

Regarding giving up the dream ... I did that some time ago.
What's left is this little hope that they can free themselves from any expectation they have on themselves .. and others have on them ... and I kind of see them going in the right direction ... taking their time ..

Remember - this is not the "are we gonna wait forever" album discussion thread.

This mediocre thread is for all the dissidents

I'm just in awe of the fact that in 10 years - 10 YEARS! - you have managed to keep these feelings of disappointment in their failure to continue to be massively epic so..restrained!

I mean, since you seem to be in on a few of the in-jokes:

You have 15 posts.

:wink:

Well at some point ... things HAVE to be said :D

Number of posts is no indicator for "being in the know"

Among my friends I am the last man standing... in terms of caring about anything u2 does. My patience just ends now.. waiting for the album which makes me proud being a U2 fan.

Last album which showcased u2s balls was POP (my opinion)
Since then every album had its hidden gems which I love of course ... but well.. maybe... sometimes this shitty world produces a rose...

The fact that people are using the terms "mediocre" and "epic" in comparison to each other shows just how abused and misunderstood the term "epic" has become, in particular regarding describing music or film. "Mediocre" describes quality; "epic" is in relation to size and scope. Something can be both mediocre and epic at the same time. There's no "in between" epic and mediocre...it's a discussion of two different things (at least as "epic" is correctly used...slang is a different thing).

Troy was an epic film based on an epic poem; it was also mediocre. Acrobat is an outstanding song but is not "epic". When someone hears something they like and exclaims "That's epic dude", they are either channeling Bill & Ted or they just have no idea what epic means. Or often times both.

U2 does have a few epic songs, but almost all of them are from the 80's; there were none in the 90's, and a couple contenders (at most) in the 00's.

Back
Top Bottom