U2 have finally found what they are looking for: mediocrity? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Where The Album Has A Name - Songs of Experience
Click Here to Login

Old 03-03-2014, 11:10 AM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:54 PM
That article kicked ass for all the wrong reasons. There's nothing wrong with wanting to be relevant and successful. It's as if 'successful' is a dirty word these days.

Reminds me of the time when 'selling out' was taboo...and then Nirvana and Green Day and all those other 'punk' bands exploded in the 90's and then it was about not living the 'rock star' life style (I'm pointing my finger at you Eddie Vedder). Funny, didn't Eddie just marry a model...

Whatever, if U2 wants to challenge the state of music this day, and land on the charts then kudos to them. I, for one, thought that NLOTH was a little self indulgent. I love some songs on it, but for the most part it left me feeling a bit flat. The 360 Tour turned out to be a retrospective tour and lost some of the intimacy for me (well that, and because it was a HUGE production).

So I like OL and Invisible...songs with heart and emotion. Telling a story that we can all relate to in one way or another. I mean, Unknown Caller......I love the guitar solo, but the lyrics did not do anything for me. Eno and Lanois are geniuses, but it's time to change it up. I look forward to the Danger Mouse produced album...and whatever else the decide to drop on us...

As for this article......it's his (and some other's) opinion and he certainly entitled to it. However he, like a LOT of other fans who love Pop, thinks its U2 by numbers since then, which is an insult to this band.

Old 03-03-2014, 11:18 AM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 04:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
Wait, somebody from Buffalo is calling something else "mediocre?"

Old 03-03-2014, 12:51 PM   #18
War Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airseven View Post
What you meant to say is that it gets tiring reading criticism of your favorite band. Understandable. The same points get repeated because they are poignant and applicable.

No, it's not what I meant.

Just as I wouldn't want to keep reading/posting 100s of articles about how good AB is if they were all pretty much the same. Electric, gritty, daring, change of sounds, etc. After about 10 its all the same. You don't really see people posting things like that, do you?

I'd happily read a criticism that was something I haven't heard already. I'm don't want to read the same book over and over again, I've already got it memorized.
Old 03-03-2014, 03:58 PM   #19
War Child

Local Time: 08:54 PM
Maybe I am generalising here but it seems that the kneejerk reaction to an uncomplimentary article around here is to ridicule the publication or the place or the writer. I hate hearing criticisms of U2 as much as the next guy, especially as the guys seem to be in a vulnerable position right now, what with them being 50+ and currency an increasingly elusive beast. But I think there were some good points in there. I like Invisible, am not unhappy with OL and anyway its a soundtrack song, but U2 chasing hits has worried me recently.
The leadup to this album has had good and bad signs IMO. I liked hearing Edge saying that a song must be able to hold its own when stripped down to an acoustic arrangement -- that means that melody is going to be important, the idea of the song may have primacy as it did on Joshua Tree. I also liked Bono sayin that they are giving each song a lot of test drives to know just what the right arrangement will be. If they had done that on NLOTH then we may not have had to hear the lyric 'Sexy Boots' in a U2 song. Both of these are examples of the band's creative sensitivity which, having been a long time fan I will always trust.
I am more suspicious of Bono's and the band's tendency to sort of disown an album that hasnt done well in the mainstream. That is not the artist speaking, its the businessmen and I may be wrong, but U2 has no business in business. I liked NLOTH better than HTDAAB but it may have been the first U2 record which did not yield a mainstream hit (the likes of MOS and Magnificent were fan favourites but they werent a Vertigo or COBL). I think that scares the band at this stage and that scares me because U2 seem to be at their best when exploring, not following the beaten path. I dont think they are mediocre or either of the two songs so far are mediocre. That part I disagree with, but I don't think the writer is way off the mark in being concerned about Bono's comments vis a vis NLOTH

Sent from my GT-I9300 using U2 Interference mobile app
Old 03-04-2014, 12:50 AM   #20
Refugee

Local Time: 08:54 PM
No line was a commercial disappointment. Lol.
Old 03-04-2014, 04:52 AM   #21
War Child

Local Time: 10:54 PM
Aside from "Moment Of Surrender" (to some extent) ... which was the last U2 Song which you would call "epic" ...

Is "Being Born" an epic song? Is "Unknown Caller" an epic song? Is "City Of Blinding Lights" .... epic?

I mean those mentioned songs are not bad ... COBL is a nice uplifting song .. Beautiful Day is euphoric .. which I also like ..

If I were in a position to pronounce a wish ... that would be .. just write some epic songs ... what is epic? For me ... that's in the lines of "Unforgettable Fire", "New Year's Day" ... "Acrobat" ... "Bad" ... "Running To Stand Still" ... "Love Is Blindness" ... "Ultraviolet" .. you get the picture.

I have no problem with U2 wanting some "hits" .. but they have to come up with some real mind goggling, brain f*#ing stuff to be "relevant" .. for me
Old 03-04-2014, 06:02 AM   #22
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aMansAman View Post

If I were in a position to pronounce a wish ... that would be .. just write some epic songs ...
oh, is that all?
Old 03-04-2014, 06:16 AM   #23
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:54 PM
Old 03-04-2014, 07:34 AM   #24
Blue Crack Distributor

I tried to go to Buffalo once but it was closed.
Old 03-04-2014, 07:47 AM   #25
War Child

Local Time: 10:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
oh, is that all?
Yes .. that IS all.

U2 just have to be epic - I loved them because of their Epicness.

I mean who wants U2 to be anything else but EPIC?

I can listen to Ordinary Love or Invisible without crying like a Chrissy Martin, there must be something wrong !
Old 03-04-2014, 07:49 AM   #26
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Thee Dog View Post
Telling a story that we can all relate to in one way or another. I mean, Unknown Caller......I love the guitar solo, but the lyrics did not do anything for me.
Interesting. I really relate to the themes of isolation and disconnection is a crowded and hyperconnected world quite a lot. The lyrics don't operate well independently from the music, but in combination they make a stream of consciousness kind of impression that I find very, very emotionally effective.
Old 03-04-2014, 09:08 AM   #27
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 09:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeevey View Post
I really relate to the themes of isolation and disconnection is a crowded and hyperconnected world quite a lot.
The song you're looking for is Zooropa.
Old 03-04-2014, 10:19 AM   #28
Ghost of Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
I tried to go to Buffalo once but it was closed.
Try flying in/out of there! Better pad your trip plans with an extra day on each end. #beleeedat

http://home.cogeco.ca/~october/images/sheeep.jpg

Don't push this button:

I'm serious, don't!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyagu_Anaykus View Post
Interference is my Earth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvox View Post
Consequently, Earth is an experimental disaster.

If you keep going, you have only your self to blame

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Best Interferencer On The Damn Planet View Post
Edge:
too sexy for his amp
too sexy for his cap
too sexy for that god-damned headset
I told you

gvox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 10:42 AM   #29
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

that post aside, epic is one of the most overused and abused words today. this sums up my feelings on epic nicely: Not everything is epic, you shitheads.
Old 03-04-2014, 10:55 AM   #30
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by popacrobat View Post
that post aside, epic is one of the most overused and abused words today. this sums up my feelings on epic nicely: Not everything is epic, you shitheads.
The eleven worst songs of 2004.