U2:DUALS Update?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
At this day and age, there's really no reason why the U2.com site couldn't offer streaming audio of ALL 360 shows... amiright? I mean, they definitely record them all. Heck, that'd make the membership fee worth it and then some.

I think its time for a live cd for next year's renewal. I would like to see a 360 Tour cd covering the very best from various legs 2009-2011. Maybe even have fan interaction (voting) in the creation of such a collection.

there's at least one song on duals that needed to be professionally mastered so it could be released... that's one more song than any of the previous fan club releases. :shrug:

we all want more, but i don't get why this release is any more lazy than the past ones.

Maybe it has more to do with me being fed up with what they offer for the money rather than it being lazier then past releases.

I think its time for a live cd for next year's renewal. I would like to see a 360 Tour cd covering the very best from various legs 2009-2011. Maybe even have fan interaction (voting) in the creation of such a collection.

That's a great idea!! Which means it will never happen.

and ripping the audio from previously released dvd's isn't lazy, too?

look, i agree with you that the u2 fan club is pretty lame. i'm also a member of pearl jam's Ten Club... they offer two tiers of memberships.

DIGITAL- TENCLUB MEMBERSHIP - $20.00

ANALOG TENCLUB MEMBERSHIP - $50.00 (for non-US people)

I have to say that with the new membership structure, the Pearl Jam fanclub isn't that much different than the U2 one. Yes, they offer a digital-only option now, but the analog one? Get a 7" single, 6 months late (and you're talking about U2.com being slow?!?!) and a magazine with info 8 months late (kinda like the old Propaganda). Is that that much different than the U2.com CD?
Funny thing is that on the Pearl Jam forums they are complaining about the Ten Club and saying U2.com is the better fanclub. The grass is always greener on the other side. :)

Popmartijn said:
I have to say that with the new membership structure, the Pearl Jam fanclub isn't that much different than the U2 one. Yes, they offer a digital-only option now, but the analog one? Get a 7" single, 6 months late (and you're talking about U2.com being slow?!?!) and a magazine with info 8 months late (kinda like the old Propaganda). Is that that much different than the U2.com CD?
Funny thing is that on the Pearl Jam forums they are complaining about the Ten Club and saying U2.com is the better fanclub. The grass is always greener on the other side. :)

You also get a free show to download, and the christmas single, while yes is often very late, is, at least, actuall rare stuff for collectors.

And nobody can compare the ticket offers.

You and I must go to much different pearl jam forums ;)

Send me a DVD of an unreleased show (they film them all, don't they?) and give me the option to download a soundboard copy from U2.com.

As others have stated previously here in this thread and in other forums, this Duals thing sucks, and I'm disappointed that a band that has played & toured together for 30 + years couldn't come up with something original. Truly sad.

I wonder if the guys at U2.com genuinely think they're doing a really good job with these CDs (and their website etc)?

People who pay $50 for a membership are probably hardcore fans but the fan club give us stuff they MUST know we already have.

I reckon ANY member on this forum could easily come up with suggestions for CDs (or gifts) that the majority of fans would prefer to what U2.com come ups with.

I'd rather get any of: a t-shirt, exclusive concert recording, concert program from a different part of the world, coupon to use at U2.com, calendar, specially recorded holiday track/cover version CD, DVD featuring interviews with the band and/or footage of them rehearsing or recording (like Making of UF), documentary like U2=BBC, recordings of the pre-tour shows for NLOTH (eg BBC rooftop, Somerville Boston gig, 3 nights in Chicago etc), CD quality of the '78-79 demos.

Maybe they're giving a (perceived) lame fan club gift because a new album is coming out soon and we won't care about Duals anymore.

Meh, the track listing was kind of what I expected. A few songs I don't already have, so It's not completely useless to me. But Drunk Chicken? Seriously? No one was cosmogony for that to appear on another CD.

Hopefully the next fan club exclusive will be the POP album.

Not a remastered version. Just the one they already released... :wink:

That word should be "clamoring.". Thanks, Apple auto-correct!

Seriously, WTF is "cosmogony"?

Sounds like a cross between cosmology and monogamy. Pretty useless term, considering we only have one universe to choose from for the time being.

Btw is that your picture in your avatar? :hug:

Are you sending me virtual hugs just in case I am actually that old?

That's Lucille Bluth from Arrested Development, in all her awesome, judgemental glory. Not pictured: the glass of scotch she's likely holding.

Hopefully the next fan club exclusive will be the POP album.

Not a remastered version. Just the one they already released... :wink:

:applaud: funniest post in this thread !!!

Seriously though, I'm soooo glad that I did not renew my membership for U2.com.

I already have almost all the songs listed for this album. And a couple of them that I don't have are the ones I don't care for and don't want.

When will U2 ever throw the hardcore fans a bone and release material from their "legendary vault of unreleased songs"

That vault full of unreleased and and unused songs from previous albums is like the Loch Ness Monster of U2 music.

Am I right in saying that during a recent tour, Matchbox 20 were selling flashdrives after the convcert with raw audio from the mixing desk?

Friend of mine went to a show in Aus, and after the show bought the flashdrive for like 5 bucks. U2 really need to do this. People are bootlegging anyway, not like you are giving them professional mixing either. It's like the injecting room argument... take the illegality out of the process, and make it safer and cleaner (no-one getting kicked out for bringing in recording gear etc).

You could be millions of flashdrives wholesale for like a dollar each, just have them set up to transfer the audio the second the show is over... can;t be too hard, would only be, what 180mb at 192kpbs? Would take all of 2 mins to transfer, and could have 100's set up at a time. You'd sell 1000's after the show, and 80% of sales is profit.

Even if I know it'll show up on the net later, I'd buy one for 5 bucks

Drowningman said:
:applaud: funniest post in this thread !!!

Seriously though, I'm soooo glad that I did not renew my membership for U2.com.

I already have almost all the songs listed for this album. And a couple of them that I don't have are the ones I don't care for and don't want.

When will U2 ever throw the hardcore fans a bone and release material from their "legendary vault of unreleased songs"

That vault full of unreleased and and unused songs from previous albums is like the Loch Ness Monster of U2 music.

Maybe they all stink

Are you sending me virtual hugs just in case I am actually that old?

That's Lucille Bluth from Arrested Development, in all her awesome, judgemental glory. Not pictured: the glass of scotch she's likely holding.

She liked martinis. Once you open the bottle of vodka it goes bad so it's best to drink it quickly.

Oh, that's right. I was thinking of a screen cap I have of her holding a highball glass of something amber-colored and went with scotch. Plus, I myself prefer it to a martini. :wink:

Not for nothing, they haven't put out anything rare since Melon... and that wasn't even that[\i] rare.

Its not as if they've had a history of giving out rare items.

It's important to keep in mind that what was fairly rare 15 years ago is not rare now. Melon was a bunch of stuff that would have been really expensive and rather challenging to track down separately. I think people have lost sight of how difficult it was to get a hold of all of the respective singles in 1996.*

But suffice to say, the possibility of something truly unique from the fanclub is somewhat dim in light of expensive digital boxed sets with Album-Only tracks.

Thanks to iTunes / Amazon, et al, the band could literally hand off some Pop tracks to an intern at Principle Management in the morning, and be raking in cash by the end of the day.

* (It's hard to really explain how excited people were over Melon**. And keep in mind that CD burning was still a few years away from being remotely mainstream, and few owned a computers powerful enough to decode MP3s. And even if they did, 95% of U2 fans were on dialup. If you wanted a bootleg, you had to get a professional bootleg, or convince a Propaganda subscriber to sell you their legit copy.)

** (The bootleg Kiwi disc was better. :) )

It's important to keep in mind that what was fairly rare 15 years ago is not rare now. Melon was a bunch of stuff that would have been really expensive and rather challenging to track down separately. I think people have lost sight of how difficult it was to get a hold of all of the respective singles in 1996.*

True, true. The Melon tracklist in 1995 included:

Lemon (Perfecto Mix) - available on a limited-release single in US, Australia, and Japan, and on the "Stay" single
Salome (Zooromancer) - limited edition UK single of Who's Gonna Ride
Numb (Dignity remix) - wasn't available
Mysterious Ways (Perfecto) - limited edition UK/Aus single
Stay (Underdog) - wasn't available
Numb (Soul Assassins) - wasn't available
Mysterious Ways (Massive Attack) - wasn't available
Even Better than the Real Thing (Perfecto) - released commercially on the remix CD single
Lemon (Bad Yard Club) - released on the Lemon and Stay singles

So of the 9 tracks on Melon, four were completely new, and another three had very limited releases. Only two were widely available. Contrast this to Duals.

At the same time, the vaults are probably pretty bare at this point. Most everything from 80s U2 has been released, apart from some Rattle and Hum demos (Wild Irish Rose, She's a Mystery to Me being the most obvious).

And I'm not convinced there's a lot of quality stuff from 90s U2 we haven't heard either -- between the Achtung B-sides and demos, most everything from those sessions is out there in one form or another (some of it to the band's chagrin). Obviously we'd love to hear some of the Zooropa/Pop sessions, but I'm not sure there's missing jewels that we haven't already heard, and I'm not sure it's in the band's best interest to release rough demos of those years, particularly given that some of the songs recorded for Zooropa served as a jumping-off point for Pop (Velvet Dress, Wake Up Dead Man and God Will Send had their starts in those sessions), as well as the way Pop was recorded (looped drums that Larry re-learned later).

ATYCLB is a different animal -- there's apparently a wealth of good material, only some of which we've heard. I'm definitely curious to hear more from those sessions, as well as some of the material from HTDAAB, though I'm less certain that there's much left from the HTDAAB sessions, since a few of those songs had come from earlier albums ("Original of the Species" was originally a contender for ATYCLB, "City of Blinding Lights" had its gestation during Pop).

Still, U2's position regarding the fan club might be that they just released a bunch of "rare and unreleased" material two years ago, so there's no need to go further into the vaults -- and McGuiness told Propaganda back in 1991 that "we don't feel under obligation to release everything we do to the public and we don't view fans of the band as librarians who want access to everything we ever do."

So what we have may be what we get.

Back
Top Bottom