U2 Deal With Live Nation?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrsSpringsteen

Blue Crack Addict
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,327467,00.html

U2 May Be Next to Leave Record Biz

Friday , February 01, 2008
By Roger Friedman

I told you earlier this week that the Rolling Stones are looking at a deal with concert promoter Live Nation that would also cover the release of their CDs. The deal is similar to the one Madonna signed in 2007.

Now I’m told that at least two more big acts are in talks with Live Nation along similar lines. The most surprising of these is U2, which has spent its entire career on either Island Records or a company connected to it, Interscope. They are all part of the Universal Music Group.

But times are changing quickly in what’s left of the music business, and U2 is said to be wanting out. If they go with Live Nation, their exit from UMG will be a blow to all, including Doug Morris and Jimmy Iovine, the group’s principal contacts.

My sources say the group’s most recent release, 2004’s “How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb,” fulfilled their Interscope contract. UMG also released a remastered version of the group’s seminal album, “The Joshua Tree,” recently. That also may have concluded the contract.

Interestingly, the current U2 movie, a 3D concert film that’s received high praise, has no CD soundtrack to accompany it. Considering that U2’s catalog is light on live recordings, the lack of an Interscope CD does set off alarms.

A few months ago, you’ll recall that U2’s savvy manager, Paul McGuiness, told me that the group will have at least two new releases in 2008: their Broadway “Spiderman” musical and a separate rock album.

It’s entirely possible that those two releases would form the basis of a new deal, perhaps with Live Nation. The “Spiderman” musical is set to be directed by Julie Taymor (“The Lion King”) and may feature members of the cast of her 2007 Beatles film, “Across the Universe.”

The other artist I’m told is talking to Live Nation is Christian singer Michael W. Smith. The singer records for Franklin, Tenn.-based Reunion Records and has an enormous following in the Christian niche market.

If U2 makes this kind of deal, along with the Stones and Madonna, soon all bets will be off at the majors over long term or heritage artists. The Eagles are already on their own through Wal-Mart, Paul McCartney, James Taylor, Carly Simon and Joni Mitchell have jumped to Starbucks’ Hear Music, and Radiohead deserted EMI for their own company.

the writer of this piece isn't much of a fact checker is he?
U2 have signed on with Mercury, they're not going anywhere.
We also have a Paul McGuinness' recent assurance that U2 are happy with Universal.

Dorian Gray said:
the writer of this piece isn't much of a fact checker is he?
U2 have signed on with Mercury, they're not going anywhere.
We also have a Paul McGuinness' recent assurance that U2 are happy with Universal.

Paul also gushed over Live Nation in the same speech he praised Universal.

I don't think this is so left field.

I hope they dont go with Live Nation, would be a mistake! They're a promoting company, subsidiary of clear channel and they dont know what the hell they're doing, yet they have all the major artists' business for promoting and now are even producing.(madonna) I work for a security company that does concerts in Boston, and live nation hires us for all the shows at venues they own as well as at others where they just promote. This company sucks, we're lucky our company is staying above water, as theyve made my boss cut back staff to dangerously low levels and they could give a shit less about the people who actually make them money. The owner of our company and everyone in it work their asses off, know the business inside and out, and these relatively new guys(spun off in 2004) are going to run the whole industry into the ground. U2 w/ them is a bad idea. Give the entire live music industry 10 yrs max to tank w/ these live nation people running it. But they're part of the Mike Huckabee family values crowd, so I guess they can do no wrong. Just if you value your family, you cant work for them.

:eyebrow:

...Which brings us up to date, October 2006, U2 switches labels in the U.K. from Island to Mercury. U2 will remain under the same umbrella, since both labels are owned by Universal Music Group. Early reports are claiming the reason U2 have made the move is so the band can continue to work with Jason Iley, the former general manager of Island Records U.K. Iley left his position at Island in May 2005 after he was appointed managing director at Mercury. Since then he's been promoted to president. A report in the October 8th edition of The Independent said, "Their closest ally at the label, the former general manager Jason Iley, was appointed managing director of Mercury Records last year, and the band have now followed him there." A similar report posted on Virgin.net said, "U2 are keen to continue working with Jason Iley, who switched from Island to Mercury to become their President earlier this year...this is thought to have motivated U2's decision." Over the course of their career, U2 have shown incredible loyalty to their colleagues and business associates and this would seem like another demonstration of their loyalty.

http://www.atu2.com/news/article.src?ID=4412
October 16, 2006

If they switch to Live Nation, why, I'll eat my hat.

:hmm: Sounds a bit more interesting than the official "band threw a fissy hit when a few label big shots failed to show up in the studio recently".

U2girl said:
:hmm: Sounds a bit more interesting than the official "band threw a fissy hit when a few label big shots failed to show up in the studio recently".

though I am tempted to believe those rumours as well... :slant:

doctorwho said:

Sure! One new album, one live album based on the tour of the material and two "Best Of" albums show-casing the last few albums of material. That's 4!

:sexywink:

Just in time to sign with another record label when they actually deliver new material.

From @u2.com:

Paul McGuinness has debunked the Fox News rumor that U2 might bail on Universal Music and sell music through Live Nation. In an e-mail to HITS magazine, McGuinness says: "This is untrue. As I said in my MIDEM speech, U2 has an excellent relationship with Universal. We have recently re-licensed both masters and copyrights to them." HITS goes to say that U2 is believed to have four albums left on its current contract with Universal.

Back
Top Bottom