"U2 confirm 2013 album"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'd guess arenas just because they will feel they need to do something different than 360, and may not be ready to TOP 360.

But 4 years between albums again is kinda crap. :(
They could have released SOA in late 2009!

Once they made the decision to NOT release SOA the album, they should have at least done like Coldplay did with VLV and released an EP (Prospekt's March) with 6 new songs. Soon, Winter and Every Breaking Wave could be on there, and a few others.

U2 could certainly do an arena leg in the US, as there are probably cities that would not fill a stadium (although 360 Charlottesville, Raleigh, St. Louis and Norman, OK shocked the crap out of me!) An arena leg in Europe seems pointless, because they could sell out a stadium in pretty much any European city

My guess is that we'll see 2 more tours from U2. The 2014-15 tour which will be a mix of arenas and stadiums, and then one final tour in 2019-2020. Which will be a nice, neat 40 year career. That will be the one that tops 360, or at least attempts to. A 3rd tour in the early-mid 2020s is also possible, with the band in their early-mid 60s.

It actually makes much more sense to me for them to do stadiums, even in the US, after it was tested so successfully on 360. Just as much money for a third of the work. And I don't mean that to sound mean - it just allows them to perform in front of far more people far more quickly. They're busy people. I also think that stadiums helped tickets be somewhat less expensive than they would have been in arenas, at least on the lowest end of the spectrum ($30 seats and $50 GA).

I'm still not quite sure what way they're going, but since they can't get any bigger than 360, I guess it makes sense to go small.

Someone earlier in this thread suggested that they'll be in arenas in the US next tour because after Popmart, they went to arenas playing like they had something to prove. Well, in the US, Popmart went about as badly as the 360 tour went as well. 43,000 in the Horseshoe when it was likely configured for about 70K? Had they taken the Claw there in 2011, I don't think it's a stretch to think they would have gone well over 100K. Dreadful crowds elsewhere in the US then, packed houses now.

Once they made the decision to NOT release SOA the album, they should have at least done like Coldplay did with VLV and released an EP (Prospekt's March) with 6 new songs. Soon, Winter and Every Breaking Wave could be on there, and a few others.

Yeah, or released an album in 2010, or 2011, or 2012.

U2 could certainly do an arena leg in the US, as there are probably cities that would not fill a stadium (although 360 Charlottesville, Raleigh, St. Louis and Norman, OK shocked the crap out of me!) An arena leg in Europe seems pointless, because they could sell out a stadium in pretty much any European city

My guess is that we'll see 2 more tours from U2. The 2014-15 tour which will be a mix of arenas and stadiums, and then one final tour in 2019-2020. Which will be a nice, neat 40 year career. That will be the one that tops 360, or at least attempts to. A 3rd tour in the early-mid 2020s is also possible, with the band in their early-mid 60s.

As long as they're all alive and healthy, I think they'll tour from time to time. Even if they decide to be lame and only release albums every four - let's say FIVE years, we could expect albums with tours in 2014, 2019, 2024, and then who knows? How old are the Stones? 2029?

Yeah, or released an album in 2010, or 2011, or 2012.

As long as they're all alive and healthy, I think they'll tour from time to time. Even if they decide to be lame and only release albums every four - let's say FIVE years, we could expect albums with tours in 2014, 2019, 2024, and then who knows? How old are the Stones? 2029?

U2 are far more concerned than the Stones with being relevant. The fact is the Stones have beena nostalgia band for decades, and even with what some perceive here to be a disappointing decade - U2 simply haven't gone that way. They have pride in their new work, and won't release sub-standard (to their standards) work. It is pointless to suggest when they will tour to - they will tour until they are no longer relevant. That could be 1 album away, or 5.

U2 are far more concerned than the Stones with being relevant. The fact is the Stones have beena nostalgia band for decades, and even with what some perceive here to be a disappointing decade - U2 simply haven't gone that way. They have pride in their new work, and won't release sub-standard (to their standards) work. It is pointless to suggest when they will tour to - they will tour until they are no longer relevant. That could be 1 album away, or 5.

I don't imagine U2 will ever stop doing their best to be creative or want to stop touring. They'll go on until their health prevents it. That's NOT one album away.

I think U2 has written more than a few albums at this point which they have just shelved. I think they could have released an album in 2009, 2010, 2011, and 2012. I think they wrote at least 12 songs in each of those years.

I just think they're not satisfied that the work will grab the public the way Beautiful Day did. I suspect (no, I can't prove anything, don't ask) they're waiting and waiting to write their next Beautiful Day and won't release an album until they have that song.

Arenas look better with the quicker sell outs and with multiple nights they can experiment more - They also can keep the setlist looser with less production - And stadium tours have three setups which require three crews - Arenas just make more sense - And Elevation/Vertigo shows were amazing! Nothing beats 3rd leg Elevation though

I just think they're not satisfied that the work will grab the public the way Beautiful Day did. I suspect (no, I can't prove anything, don't ask) they're waiting and waiting to write their next Beautiful Day and won't release an album until they have that song.

And this has never worked. Remember that they agonized over Streets too, until Brian Eno said "FUCK THIS! MOVE IT!" The result? One of their all-time classics. Sometimes enough is enough. If they're writing as much material as you claim they are, songs must come to them quite naturally. They should run with that. When it comes to my own music, 75% of my favorite songs were written over a day or two, not several years.

Stadiums would make sense to me as well. With an eye on their age they may be wondering how many more world tours will there be and they'll probably want to let as many people see them as possible.

i'd be surprised if they didn't do stadiums, at least in Europe - we haven't had arenas since Elevation sadly

I'm betting on theaters this time around. And multiple markets a night. I think with the new TuPac hologram technology there will only be one real member of the band in each market, but all four markets will get the same show.

Lots of hits and b-sides!

I don't think Norman is the greatest example. Don't get me wrong. It was a good size crowd for that market, but the entire upper deck was covered and empty. U2 could definately do stadiums again if they want to in N. America, especially if the next album has any kind of even semi hit. I just do not think that is what they want to do at this stage. As far as the length of the tour, really, due to the set up and travel of the Stadium stage, the tour length is still about the same. They just do not play as many shows obviously. Good for Bono's voice but sometimes it is bad for the momentum of a tour.

They will most likely still do stadiums in Europe as the demand there is just to great to do an arena only tour. UNLESS, they do like the original Elevation plan and do one arena leg and plan to come back the following summer and play stadiums. (U2 were set to play stadiums in Europe in the summer 2002, Bono wanted to, but the rest of the band did not)

And this has never worked. Remember that they agonized over Streets too, until Brian Eno said "FUCK THIS! MOVE IT!" The result? One of their all-time classics. Sometimes enough is enough. If they're writing as much material as you claim they are, songs must come to them quite naturally. They should run with that. When it comes to my own music, 75% of my favorite songs were written over a day or two, not several years.

Well, I agree with you in theory. They should just write a damn album and release it.

But in fact, you're factually wrong to say, "this has never worked." Most U2 albums have their Beautiful Day. I might say all of them do, if I give the title to the wasted non-single Moment of Surrender. If they don't feel they have that single which will grab everyone.....Well, I haven't sat in on the sessions. I don't know if they're right.

I have to disagree with everyone who thinks Moment Of Surrender would have taken off as a single. Besides Bono having a few voice highlights, the song is quite the snoozer :reject:

Yeah...Eno wanted to delete Streets and have MOS as the lead single. Let's not get too excited about his opinions.

I don't think Norman is the greatest example. Don't get me wrong. It was a good size crowd for that market, but the entire upper deck was covered and empty.

That's because they didn't sell tickets for the upper deck. I think it was something to do with the sightlines. That didn't stop some people from sitting up there anyway.

In some ways, though, U2 did do this.

"Soon" was released as on vinyl as part of the Rose Bowl deluxe DVD set. "Winter" was part of the deluxe NLOTH set. And a few other songs were on "Wide Awake in Europe".

Admittedly, none of these was easily obtained (deluxe sets and limited releases), but who is the market for this? Mostly the die-hard fans. As such, we have them.

Yeah...Eno wanted to delete Streets

No, he didn't. He was just tired of them fucking around with that mix endlessly. He assumed wiping the slate clean would expedite things.

And releasing MOS as a single would have been a good idea, in hindsight.

Well, in the US, Popmart went about as badly as the 360 tour went as well. 43,000 in the Horseshoe when it was likely configured for about 70K? Had they taken the Claw there in 2011, I don't think it's a stretch to think they would have gone well over 100K. Dreadful crowds elsewhere in the US then, packed houses now.

I was at that Columbus show! 43,000 was actually one of the larger crowds in the US of the Popmart tour, and is a lot of people for a city like Columbus. It just didn't look very impressive because nearly half the stadium was still empty. Several of the stadium shows had less than 20,000 people on the Popmart tour.

Yeah...Eno wanted to delete Streets and have MOS as the lead single. Let's not get too excited about his opinions.

This is what it's come to? Parroting old, tired rumors that have already been debunked/clarified by the concerned parties?

:rolleyes:

No, he didn't. He was just tired of them fucking around with that mix endlessly. He assumed wiping the slate clean would expedite things.

This. By right you really shouldn't have to explain it, but the younger/less knowledgable listeners here shouldn't have to be subjected to U2girl's unchecked idiocy.

She's still fighting a mythical argument against "90's U2 fans" that she conjured in her head many moons ago. Beating up on Brian Eno is part of that.

Hard to deal with her. Always has been. I even bothered to quote directly from U2 BY U2 (more than once in the same post) recently and she still ignored it to continue her delusions.

She's still fighting a mythical argument against "90's U2 fans" that she conjured in her head many moons ago. Beating up on Brian Eno is part of that.

Hard to deal with her. Always has been. I even bothered to quote directly from U2 BY U2 (more than once in the same post) recently and she still ignored it to continue her delusions.

Yeah because Brian Eno hasn't produced or co-produced many good albums really has he? You know just Low, Heroes, Lodger, the 3 best U2 albums, Remain In Light, Fear of Music, Laid, Viva La Vida(if you like that sort of thing), john Cale albums, Harold budd, Laurie Anderson, Jon Hassell. Not too mention his 20 odd sole albums and those little known pieces by Roxy Music...who'd want to listen to him??

one could argue though, since Eno is more well know (I wouln't say 'recognized') for his work as a producer for others and as a member of Roxy Music than for his own solo work, that his business sense on what would work in the current market might not be his strength

I think far more artists would be interested in working together with Eno than having him pick their lead single

U2DMfan said:

I don't know why we even bother trying to deal with someone who has never smiled.

one could argue though, since Eno is more well know (I wouln't say 'recognized') for his work as a producer for others and as a member of Roxy Music than for his own solo work, that his business sense on what would work in the current market might not be his strength

I think far more artists would be interested in working together with Eno than having him pick their lead single

Oh sure, I don't think he was ever that concerned about hit singles, certainly not in his own career as an artist. But I got the feeling that some people here were questioning his opinions in general. Maybe I'd read it wrong?

An Cat Gav said:
Yeah because Brian Eno hasn't produced or co-produced many good albums really has he? You know just Low, Heroes, Lodger, the 3 best U2 albums, Remain In Light, Fear of Music, Laid, Viva La Vida(if you like that sort of thing), john Cale albums, Harold budd, Laurie Anderson, Jon Hassell. Not too mention his 20 odd sole albums and those little known pieces by Roxy Music...who'd want to listen to him??

Contrary to popular belief, Eno didn't produce or co-produce any of the albums of the Bowie Berlin trilogy. That was all Bowie-Tony Visconti. He played a big part as a collaborator though.

Back
Top Bottom