[U2.com] In London, Shooting A Video

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
if it's anything like a Gwen Stefani video, I quit U2 :angry:

Don't worry, I doubt any videos that U2 will ever make will ever be more daring and more crazy than the Discotheque video. Although that video was awesome imo. :D

I'll say it again since some people seem to have the idea that it's another "riff" song, the riff is NOT the most important part of the song in the way it was on say Vertigo or ABOY. There's tons more going on musically and vocally on Beach clip #3 (Get On Your Boots) and like I say, the riff just becomes a sort of background rhythmic counterpoint to all the other stuff thats happening. For me it's the vocal harmonies that are the real hook to this one with lots of intricate fretwork from Edge as well making it a really exciting track...

I'll say it again since some people seem to have the idea that it's another "riff" song, the riff is NOT the most important part of the song in the way it was on say Vertigo or ABOY. There's tons more going on musically and vocally on Beach clip #3 (Get On Your Boots) and like I say, the riff just becomes a sort of background rhythmic counterpoint to all the other stuff thats happening. For me it's the vocal harmonies that are the real hook to this one with lots of intricate fretwork from Edge as well making it a really exciting track...

amen.

Alos, the solo at the end goes batshit!

The waves get louder as it starts, but edge is grinding some serious shit in that solo. Will be awesome live

amen.

Alos, the solo at the end goes batshit!

The waves get louder as it starts, but edge is grinding some serious shit in that solo. Will be awesome live

The only way it could possibly work live is if Bono learns to play the riff and lets Edge get on with the crazy stuff!

I reckon I might take another listen to beach clip 3. The song goes for about 3:20, the first chorus is at 20 seconds into the song I think, and the first verse begins after one riff.

:hyper: Hope we get to see that before the end of the year.

As much as I wish and hope that this would be the case..with videos it usually takes at least a month because of editing and other post production details...you probably are looking at seeing it around Jan. 12th or so at the earliest...we could hear the new single right after New Year's though...I'm hoping

Yes you were one of the first to start judging a song by the title, funny thing is you still are plus you don't even have the title right...

No, actually...I never judged a song by its title....and I'm not judging the song by its title here either...you, along with a few others, can't seem to grasp this concept of "judging a song by its title"...

If I were really JUDGING the song by its title I would say something like, "oh wow this title is terrible, this song sucks...I hate it....this record is gonna blow"

....and I've never said this before...it's one thing to be disappointed by simply the title of a song and even be less excited about the song because of the title, it's another to say that the song sucks because of the title, and I have never done this....

I can go on and on about how much simply the title of a song sucks without ever judging the actual song.

Oh, I just saw this....BVS, you should read what Axver wrote, it applies to you as well:

Ugh. I knew somebody here would say this. WTAHNN, you never disappoint. In any case, perhaps you should try reading before posting. I was talking specifically about the title, not the song itself, and wrote this:

If that does prove to be the title, let's just hope it's a good song to compensate.

I can't believe people are still thinking the song is called SEXY BOOTS :doh:

I think it has been kind of confirmed that it will be called GET ON YOUR BOOTS. The other title was just based on speculation from fans.

About the song title: I guess people wouldn't have thought U2 would ever release a song called Discoteque. Ever. And yet they did.

How about not being so serious? For all we know, this could be a cheeky, ironic song and video. I'll love it!

But I agree, U2 have made some incredibly crappy videos for being such a great band. There are a couple of videos I really like from recent years like OOTS or Windows, but most of their videos just suck. :lol:

If Beach Clip 3 is the same Beach Clip 3 I've been listening to(filename: 1 Rendered.Version.3), it is the song that I've been most excited by in the beach clips. The chorus reminds me of Alice In Chains. Vertigo type kind of tuneless verses lead into this wonderful meeting of vocal melodies and harmonies working together to create this infectious chorus. Love the beach clip. I hope the real thing doesn't disappoint.

^ Agree. I remember how most people here loved Beach Clip 3 when it first came out. Beach Clip 4 is still my favourite, though, but I can see why they would choose 3 as a lead single. 2, however, the song we call "Breathe", has never done much for me except the chorus. Still I cannot wait how it will sound like when it's finished and released on the album.

In regards to their videos - our boys make the greatest music and some of the WORST videos.
The worst!
When the vids are good, they're great. When they are bad, they are really really bad.

I'm a longtime U2 fan, but this is my first post ever here, so...Hi everyone :) I must say my heartrate got quite a workout upon reading this news today. Mind boggling to think I was in high school when HTDAAB came out, now I'm almost a college graduate. Time flies. Yay for new U2!

A good point.

Song speed doesnt necessarily equate to viability for being a lead single though. All the beach clips we have are fast, well fastish by U2 standards, just that clips 1 and 5 are quieter. I still think 1 would have been a better first single.

I agree, which is why I think the lead-off single has to represent the album in some fashion.

While it is arguable if "Pride" even fits on UF, what it showcases well was a change in direction for U2. "The Fly" did that as well. "Numb" and "Discotheque" both gave audiences a taste of what U2 was going for on those respective albums. "New Year's Day" was a perfect lead single for "War" as was "I Will Follow" for "Boy" - in fact, those two songs almost defined those albums. Analogously, "With or Without You" really set the tone for JT. JT was a rather intropsective album about issues around people, whether that be love, drugs, war or a country. It's an album about how those issues affect who we are, and WOWY captured that perfectly. So while this was a slow song, it set the tone for the album.

In contrast, as powerful of a song as "One" is, IMO, it stands out a bit from the album. It does belong on AB, as its theme blends, but musically, it stands apart. As a result, having "One" as a lead single for AB might not have worked.

So in that sense, it's not whether the song is slow or fast, but if it is catchy and a good representative of the album. This appears to be the best strategy.

Great news, I'm sure we will hear even more very soon.
I wouldn't mind if the song were called Sexy Boots, a lot of people couldn't believe they were releasing a song called The Fly, and that became my favourite U2 song ever, so fingers crossed.
Hope the video will be a good one, its unfathomable why U2 have made so many awful videos. I don't think the amount of "performance" shots in every video helps.
My own fave's are EBTTRT, Stay, TUF and of course A Celebration! Vertigo was extremely lame.
But i'm very happy about Get On Your Boots, though I do hope it's called Sexy Boots!

the wonky grammar of Get On Your Boots makes me wonder whether it's implying Come On Your Boots

^ I suppose it's something like "Get on your feet".

Which makes me slightly suspicious that the song might just not be about Bono's shoe fetish.

I'm a longtime U2 fan, but this is my first post ever here, so...Hi everyone :) I must say my heartrate got quite a workout upon reading this news today. Mind boggling to think I was in high school when HTDAAB came out, now I'm almost a college graduate. Time flies. Yay for new U2!

You're in the same boat as me - I was 15 when HTDAAB rolled out and got to see them once on the tour. Now I'm 19 and going to try and get to see them live as many times as possible - I can't wait until I'm 23 for the next tour!

And as for music videos, I agree with some posters they have been a little hit and miss. I love the international SIAMYCGOO video (not the football one :down:), EBTTRT, Lemon and Discotheque is hilarious!

Back
Top Bottom