[U2.com] In London, Shooting A Video

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Huzzah! I'm excited! I'm guessing we'll be hearing the tune possibly early January? I keep thinking about Bono's comment concerning 2009 being "[their] year." Maybe with the first single, first video, album, tour, Spider-Man musical... all that next year, publicity from various magazines declaring U2 "Band of the Year" could really boost sales.

And about the title... I honestly don't mind "Sexy Boots" - it's so direct and upfront, I like how "in-your-face" it is... no mistaking what you're getting into. "Get On Your Boots" I'm slightly less-enthused with... Maybe it's the grammar (why not "Put On Your Boots" or "Get Your Boots On"?)

Regardless, this news only fuels the fire of the album's imminent arrival :hyper:

...and speaking of titles, I just thought I'd say how much I really do love "No Line on the Horizon." I'm hoping that one sticks :heart:

EDIT: Also, I just thought I'd mention how I really hope whatever their first single is... it's huge. I know most people around here say "I don't care about sales/ chart position/ what have you" ...but I really do want U2 to be everywhere. I know the band wants it, and I seriously would get kind of excited hearing the band in a club (didn't Bono make some kind of comment about how their music are guaranteed to clear the dance floor and that he's trying to rectify that?) If anything, it would help to change the general public's perception of U2 - and with that, a whole different kind of band. U2, as of this millennium, have become somewhat stagnant - but with a new image, all of that could change. It's amazing how a slight shift in chord could potentially alter music videos, live shows, photo shoots, etc.,. Okay, this spiel's well has run dry. Time to busy myself with something else...

*goes off to finish reading "Disquiet"*

Funnily enough, I don't know how I got the thought that NLOTH was the lead single. I think it may have been because of that news/rumours about the video shoot in Spain a few months back.

Or I'm just confusing myself.

There was a time when it was floated, maybe a week before the people on the beach heard what they thought was sexy boots. People thought that Sexy Boots would be then lead single because they played it to them about 8 times on the beach, and only once for 2 or 3 other songs.

Edge has since confirmed Get On Your Boots, so anyone still hoiping for sexy boots is 99.9% going to be disappointed

Huzzah! I'm excited! I'm guessing we'll be hearing the tune possibly early January? I keep thinking about Bono's comment concerning 2009 being "[their] year." Maybe with the first single, first video, album, tour, Spider-Man musical... all that next year, publicity from various magazines declaring U2 "Band of the Year" could really boost sales.

And about the title... I honestly don't mind "Sexy Boots" - it's so direct and upfront, I like how "in-your-face" it is... no mistaking what you're getting into. "Get On Your Boots" I'm slightly less-enthused with... Maybe it's the grammar (why not "Put On Your Boots" or "Get Your Boots On"?)

Regardless, this news only fuels the fire of the album's imminent arrival :hyper:

...and speaking of titles, I just thought I'd say how much I really do love "No Line on the Horizon." I'm hoping that one sticks :heart:

again, sexy boots was only ever floated becaus esome people overheard it on the beach. Barring the extremely unlikely event that there are two songs with "boots" in the title, it is Get On Your Boots, confirmed by edge.

As for get on your boots over put on your boots, get your boots on etc, probably just sounded better, rhymed, fitted better with the syncopation?? :shrug:

There was a time when it was floated, maybe a week before the people on the beach heard what they thought was sexy boots. People thought that Sexy Boots would be then lead single because they played it to them about 8 times on the beach, and only once for 2 or 3 other songs.

Edge has since confirmed Get On Your Boots, so anyone still hoiping for sexy boots is 99.9% going to be disappointed

Oh yeah, that's probably where I got it from.

I'd be satisfied with GOYB instead of SB.

I'm listening to the beach clips...
what a incredible sound from clips 1 and 4... 4 being Breathe what a great song!
Even with the poor sound wow! Great guitar, there is this incredible guitar solo part at around 3:00 , great "vocals", good hooks, and perfect "yeaahss" and "uhuuuus". I usually don't get too excited about this clips because of the Bomb efect but i have big hopes that this could be one of the great U2 songs. Not to mention the beautiful "Cedars of Lebanon"(supposedly). Not too happy about Boots though...

I'm listening to the beach clips...
what a incredible sound from clips 1 and 4... 4 being Breathe what a great song!
Even with the poor sound wow! Great guitar, there is this incredible guitar solo part at around 3:00 , great "vocals", good hooks, and perfect "yeaahss" and "uhuuuus". I usually don't get too excited about this clips because of the Bomb efect but i have big hopes that this could be one of the great U2 songs. Not to mention the beatiful "Cedars of Lebanon"(supposedly). Not too happy about Boots though...

2 is breathe, 4 is only love (well, we guess its only love)

So it's pretty obvious "Sexy Boots" isn't going to be the song's title... however, I wouldn't necessarily jump the gun and say "Get On Your Boots" is legit, either. How long ago was the (very) brief publication of Edge's phone conversation with Q? And how long before that did the actual interview take place? Who knows... the song could just be simply titled "Boots" :shrug:

Hmmm... funny that they seem like they're going with "Get on your boots" as opposed to "No Line on the Horizon". There were rumors that they were debating between a more typical U2 sounding song and a more experimentally sounding song, and that GOYB was the former while NLOTH was the latter. I read something that NLOTH was very distorted and rough sounding. Very exciting stuff!

If this is true then it looks like they opted for the safer route. Still too early to tell, but it would surprise me that they would possibly go the safer route as opposed to the route less travelled (so to speak). I would think that they might have the power to kind of go away from the safe path and do something completely different. Again, way too early to tell. Just a thought.

So it's pretty obvious "Sexy Boots" isn't going to be the song's title... however, I wouldn't necessarily jump the gun and say "Get On Your Boots" is legit, either. How long ago was the (very) brief publication of Edge's phone conversation with Q? And how long before that did the actual interview take place? Who knows... the song could just be simply titled "Boots" :shrug:
i hope neither one is the title :uhoh: i don't know, they just both seem so cheesy. boots would be okay though, but still somewhat of an odd title.

oh well, as long as the song is good.

very true. I think it was mentioned in 2 places though. And I also think that u2.com is operating on the assumption that we know GOYB as a title. Thats why they gave us the hint. They would def know that we all know the info that we do.

So no, its not a lock, but I would be fairly sure that its right

Hmmm... funny that they seem like they're going with "Get on your boots" as opposed to "No Line on the Horizon". There were rumors that they were debating between a more typical U2 sounding song and a more experimentally sounding song, and that GOYB was the former while NLOTH was the latter. I read something that NLOTH was very distorted and rough sounding. Very exciting stuff!

If this is true then it looks like they opted for the safer route. Still too early to tell, but it would surprise me that they would possibly go the safer route as opposed to the route less travelled (so to speak). I would think that they might have the power to kind of go away from the safe path and do something completely different. Again, way too early to tell. Just a thought.
You know, if GOYB is the supposed "typical" U2 song... then I think we're all in for a treat, 'cause even from what we've heard of the beach clip, the song is a bit different (a bit like "Fast Cars"' little brother, but even so... I'd say that was the most adventurous song of the HTDAAB era and it wasn't even on the bloody record!).

U2 shoots video in London!!

Just got this information from a Shades of Bono Myspace bulletin and had to share because I didn't see anything about it yet.

In London, Shooting A Video
Larry, Edge, Bono and Adam were holed up in a warehouse on the outskirts of London yesterday, shooting a video with director Alex Courtes.

Performing a brand new song, the band worked on the shoot from late morning till late night, the elegantly mustachioed Courtes directing proceedings on the green stage.

We are sworn to secrecy on the finer details of the shoot... but there may have been some marching girls involved. With their boots on.

Courtes last worked with the band - with Martin Fougerol - on the video for City of Blinding Lights in 2005. And their work on 'Vertigo' won them the Grammy for 'Best Short Form Video'. That was the first single release from 'How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb'...

More as we get it...

U2.com | Official News

What do you think? Did anyone see this being filmed? Sexy Boots? I'm excited! :hyper:

Boots or Get on your Boots could be just (hopefully) a provisional song title, just a working title for a military-bash kind of song. In the vain of BTS or Seconds. Then it could (hopefully) have its name changed to something more U2ish like "New era fight" or "Virtual War". Ok maybe this titles are not U2ish but anyway....

Or they will freak out and change to "Girls stand down your guns and get on you boots" :hyper:

You know, if GOYB is the supposed "typical" U2 song... then I think we're all in for a treat, 'cause even from what we've heard of the beach clip, the song is a bit different (a bit like "Fast Cars"' little brother, but even so... I'd say that was the most adventurous song of the HTDAAB era and it wasn't even on the bloody record!).

Agreed.

Fast Cars was a great song, though Xanax and Wine was even better. I saw a clip on youtube that supposedly replicated the riff to "Get on your boots" and thought it sounded okay....but how much can you really tell about something like that?

Indeed it was. :hmm:

I also wont be able to imagine U2 doing a clip with marching girls until I see it either. Maybe they are throwing us off the scent. The video clips they have sent us have often been tongue-in-cheek.

And why would they want to reveal those details in a small hint on the websites news article. Maybe its all a ruse!

Agreed.

Fast Cars was a great song, though Xanax and Wine was even better. I saw a clip on youtube that supposedly replicated the riff to "Get on your boots" and thought it sounded okay....but how much can you really tell about something like that?
YouTube - Re: NEW U2 TOTALLY REAL AND NOT FAKE

Yeah, the riff is no "Vertigo" (say what you will about the song, but the Edge really struck gold on that one, IMO... though by no means the "mother of all rock songs," as Bono would have you believe :wink:), but it's not crap. I think, in this particular case, it's gonna all boil down to the production (something you definitely cannot tell based purely on the beach clips).

I wish it would be called "Sexy Boots," but it will probably be called "Get On Your Boots" or whatever. Looks like they're going with the "rocker" lead-off a la Beautiful Day and Vertigo, and even Discotheque. Well, maybe they always lead off like that...

Actually, U2 pretty much have always had a rocker as a first single, barring a few exceptions. There was "I Will Follow", "Gloria", "New Year's Day", "Pride", Desire", "The Fly", and the songs you mentioned. The exceptions are "With or Without You", which was a great lead-off single for JT as it not only set the tone of the album, but also was a viable lead single (as slow love songs have a great chance of doing well). Also, "Numb" was a single, although I'm not sure how to place it (as not only is it arguable if it is "rock" but it was also a video single). If you include "Numb", then U2 have pretty much had each album, barring JT, lead off with a rocker. Seems like a good strategy, especially if the slower song isn't truly representative of the album. :yes:

YouTube - Re: NEW U2 TOTALLY REAL AND NOT FAKE

Yeah, the riff is no "Vertigo" (say what you will about the song, but the Edge really struck gold on that one, IMO... though by no means the "mother of all rock songs," as Bono would have you believe :wink:), but it's not crap. I think, in this particular case, it's gonna all boil down to the production (something you definitely cannot tell based purely on the beach clips).

Nice! :applaud:

Actually, U2 pretty much have always had a rocker as a first single, barring a few exceptions. There was "I Will Follow", "Gloria", "New Year's Day", "Pride", Desire", "The Fly", and the songs you mentioned. The exceptions are "With or Without You", which was a great lead-off single for JT as it not only set the tone of the album, but also was a viable lead single (as slow love songs have a great chance of doing well). Also, "Numb" was a single, although I'm not sure how to place it (as not only is it arguable if it is "rock" but it was also a video single). If you include "Numb", then U2 have pretty much had each album, barring JT, lead off with a rocker. Seems like a good strategy, especially if the slower song isn't truly representative of the album. :yes:

A good point.

Song speed doesnt necessarily equate to viability for being a lead single though. All the beach clips we have are fast, well fastish by U2 standards, just that clips 1 and 5 are quieter. I still think 1 would have been a better first single.

I also wont be able to imagine U2 doing a clip with marching girls until I see it either. Maybe they are throwing us off the scent. The video clips they have sent us have often been tongue-in-cheek.

And why would they want to reveal those details in a small hint on the websites news article. Maybe its all a ruse!

It reminds me of a dance track released last year where the video clip had many girls with trumpets or whatever dancing and all. :D

Back
Top Bottom