U2 and PJ recorded together?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

IanIinTheSky

Acrobat
One of my friends who is a huge PJ fan heard that U2 and PJ went to the studio together in Honolulu together to work on PJ's annual Christmas single.

I'm working on finding a link. I imagine it was just RITFW.

Originally Posted by LifeWasted21
TAKEN FROM RED MOSQUITO

I was reading a review of pearl jam's & u2's concert on honolulu..

The Pearl Jam setlist was as close as they get to a greatest hits show -- included Corduroy, Even Flow, Better Man, World Wide Suicide, Crazy Mary, Alive, and Baba O'Riley to close out. Nice set, though some of PJ fans were complaining that they were only given an hour. As an aside, I stopped for shave ice in Haleiwa earlier in the week and PJ bassist Jeff Ament was there, complaining to a friend about PJ being purely an opening act. (He also said that U2 and PJ had done some studio work together, possibly serving as a fanclub-only release. He also had some not-so-nice things to say about Edge's guitar work on said collaboration...)

Interesting.

But... PJ was an opening act. Did they expect to co-headline, or what? :huh:

Whatever

If any of this is true about Jeff Ament, it just solidifies exactly why it is that I dislike Pearl Jam so much.

What did he expect? 2 and a half hours? I'm sure that would have gone over well with the U2 fans.

I saw Ben Harper play before The Flaming Lips once. He played for 2 and a half hours. It wasn't pretty. The Crowd started getting really restless at about the 70 minute mark. That last hour was a long one, with each passing song starting off with a sigh of frustration from the crowd.

A lot of big acts have opened for Bono and the boys (Coldplay, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Rage Against The Machine, Oasis, Garbage, No Doubt) and THEY all seemed to be okay with it.

I never thought Pearl Jam's ego could outweigh the Gallagher brothers. Man.

That's strange, I met Jeff in San Jose after U2's last Elevation show there and he absolutely had nothing but great things to say about them, in fact he seemed as every bit of a fan as me. Sure that was 5 years ago, but c'mon are you trying to tell me he was suddenly cold toward them?

I'm not totally buying this...:eyebrow:

So some random person claims to have overheard a conversation quite by co-incidence? Woooow, great source right there! :happy:

Re: Whatever

Clawgrabber said:
If any of this is true about Jeff Ament, it just solidifies exactly why it is that I dislike Pearl Jam so much.

What did he expect? 2 and a half hours? I'm sure that would have gone over well with the U2 fans.

I saw Ben Harper play before The Flaming Lips once. He played for 2 and a half hours. It wasn't pretty. The Crowd started getting really restless at about the 70 minute mark. That last hour was a long one, with each passing song starting off with a sigh of frustration from the crowd.

A lot of big acts have opened for Bono and the boys (Coldplay, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Rage Against The Machine, Oasis, Garbage, No Doubt) and THEY all seemed to be okay with it.

I would imagine there isn't one element of truth in that. I very much doubt in a public place, Jeff Ament of all people would be moaning about being an opening act and slagging off Edge's playing for one and all to hear. People like to stir things up in order to get a reaction. Pearl Jam and U2 have been very good friends since 1992. If Pearl Jam didn't want to be a part of Honolulu, then I'm quite sure they would have said no. The lesson is don't believe everything you read.

Re: Whatever

Clawgrabber said:

Pearl Jam has an ego that outweighs the Gallagher brothers?

Man, you have completely no idea about this band.

Maybe you should check the real stories about the band before trusting a cheap rumour.

Re: Re: Whatever

djerdap said:

Pearl Jam has an ego that outweighs the Gallagher brothers?

Man, you have completely no idea about this band.

Maybe you should check the real stories about the band before trusting a cheap rumour.

easy there, buddy. easy.
i gotta get back to the shaved ice hut. Ament is thirsty and I'm buying the next round. (his favority is banana)

after just listening to Edge be freaking brilliant on the ending solo to "Kite" in Melbourne (thx, youtube), Jeff Ament's opinions will last about as long as shaved ice in July.

Irvine511 said:
after just listening to Edge be freaking brilliant on the ending solo to "Kite" in Melbourne (thx, youtube), Jeff Ament's opinions will last about as long as shaved ice in July.

Again, what proof is there that Ament said this?

U2FanPeter said:
PJ played 4-5 more songs when they opened for the Rolling Stones in Pittsburgh last year.

Did they? I thought they did about 13 in Honolulu, and I read they were doing 14 for the Stones. Is that inaccurate?

Axver said:

Did they? I thought they did about 13 in Honolulu, and I read they were doing 14 for the Stones. Is that inaccurate?

Dec 9 2006 Honolulu (Rocko other opening act)

Interstellar Overdrive
Corduroy
Life Wasted
Do the Evolution
Elderly Woman
Big Wave
Even Flow
Hawaii 78
Better Man
World Wide Suicide
Given To Fly
Crazy Mary
Alive
(14)Baba O RLY
RITFW duet with U2

July 3rd 2006 Denver Tom Petty

Long Road
World Wide Suicide
Severed Hand
Not For You/(Modern Girl)
Insignifcance
Unemployable
Even Flow
Gone
State of Love and Trust
Down
Wasted Reprise
Better Man
Black
Corduroy
--------------
Come Back
Leash
Why Go
(18)So You Want to be a Rock and Roll Star

Sept 28th 2005 Pittsburgh Rolling Stones(Wild Horses other opening act)

Go
Corduroy
Animal
Even Flow
Gimme Some Truth
Given To Fly
Daughter
Black
Better Man/(Save it for Later)
Jeremy
Last Kiss
Alive
Save You
(14)Rockin' in the Free World

So the opening slot for the Stones had the same song number as the opening slot for U2. I don't know if Vedder came out during the Stones set.

During the Dec. 9 setlist party, both u2 and PJ message boards had a 9 song incomplete setlist circulating. That was the last one I read.

PJ did 4 shows (2 in Denver, 2 in Minnesota) opening a double bill with Tom Petty. They did 17-18 songs.

Pearl Jam are not making their Honolulu or Pittsburgh opening slots available for download. The 4 Petty show are available at their website.

u2fp

pearl jam and tom petty were co-headliners, not opening acts.

they were openers for the stones and for u2. for the stones they played 14 songs, for u2 they played 13. (if you want to could free world as a 14th song for hawaii, then you have to count ed's duet on wild horses with the stones as a 15th for pittsburgh http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZ5rzSrsIGQ)

whoopity damned do.

as a huge pearl jam fan i have to say that pearl jam fans piss me off quite a bit. they're so rabid in their love for the band that they discount acts that they feel "don't measure up" or are "too commercial."

u2 fans do that a lot, too.

i hardly believe this post by this guy... it sounds like every typical complaint that PJ fans make about U2... they think bono's lyric changes on free world are lame (i tend to agree) and they fear that it'll end up as the christmas single, they hold mccready in such high regard (agree again) that anyone else, like say the edge, who doesn't have the same style sucks (disagree... edge and mccready are apples and oranges).

so this post pretty much just plays to what many of the fans on that forum complain about the most. bullshit i say.

Last edited:
I apoligize.

I shouldn't have posted that link. It was just some of my PJ friends have mentioned that they heard U2 and PJ were in the studo together, so I was trying to find something in writing.

My bad

Hey I and I it's nothing you said really, it's just that it's hard to believe the Jeff Ament (who, like I said early, I met at a U2 show) was spewing out such 'hate' for U2 in any way, shape or form.

Thanks for the information on the possible recording.

Next to U2, Pearl Jam are my favorite band. Jeff Ament would never say such things. No one in PJ would! PJ are all about the love. The only person PJ hates is GW Bush.

Hey does anybody remember, in RS a few months back, there was a PJ cover interview... one of the band members commented that when PJ opened for U2 on ZooTV, the audiences didn't like them... was it Ament? Not that I think he's really badmouthing Edge in public... I'll have to track it down.

Back
Top Bottom