U2 and PJ recorded together? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Where The Album Has A Name - Songs of Experience
Click Here to Login

Old 12-15-2006, 09:27 PM   #1
Acrobat

Local Time: 11:19 PM
U2 and PJ recorded together?

One of my friends who is a huge PJ fan heard that U2 and PJ went to the studio together in Honolulu together to work on PJ's annual Christmas single.

I'm working on finding a link. I imagine it was just RITFW.

IanIinTheSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 10:38 PM   #2
Acrobat

Originally Posted by LifeWasted21
TAKEN FROM RED MOSQUITO

I was reading a review of pearl jam's & u2's concert on honolulu..

The Pearl Jam setlist was as close as they get to a greatest hits show -- included Corduroy, Even Flow, Better Man, World Wide Suicide, Crazy Mary, Alive, and Baba O'Riley to close out. Nice set, though some of PJ fans were complaining that they were only given an hour. As an aside, I stopped for shave ice in Haleiwa earlier in the week and PJ bassist Jeff Ament was there, complaining to a friend about PJ being purely an opening act. (He also said that U2 and PJ had done some studio work together, possibly serving as a fanclub-only release. He also had some not-so-nice things to say about Edge's guitar work on said collaboration...)

IanIinTheSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 11:07 PM   #3
Refugee

Interesting.

But... PJ was an opening act. Did they expect to co-headline, or what?
mads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 11:44 PM   #4
Refugee

Local Time: 03:19 AM
ah the poster is probably just talking bullshit to stir things up
Dorian Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 11:45 PM   #5
War Child

Local Time: 10:19 PM
Whatever

If any of this is true about Jeff Ament, it just solidifies exactly why it is that I dislike Pearl Jam so much.

What did he expect? 2 and a half hours? I'm sure that would have gone over well with the U2 fans.

I saw Ben Harper play before The Flaming Lips once. He played for 2 and a half hours. It wasn't pretty. The Crowd started getting really restless at about the 70 minute mark. That last hour was a long one, with each passing song starting off with a sigh of frustration from the crowd.

A lot of big acts have opened for Bono and the boys (Coldplay, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Rage Against The Machine, Oasis, Garbage, No Doubt) and THEY all seemed to be okay with it.

I never thought Pearl Jam's ego could outweigh the Gallagher brothers. Man.
Clawgrabber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 11:45 PM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:19 PM
That's strange, I met Jeff in San Jose after U2's last Elevation show there and he absolutely had nothing but great things to say about them, in fact he seemed as every bit of a fan as me. Sure that was 5 years ago, but c'mon are you trying to tell me he was suddenly cold toward them?

I'm not totally buying this...
Reggie Thee Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 12:47 AM   #7
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 02:19 PM
So some random person claims to have overheard a conversation quite by co-incidence? Woooow, great source right there!

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 01:14 AM   #8
War Child

Jeff Ament is known to hang out at shaved ice huts
Old 12-16-2006, 04:59 AM   #9
Acrobat

Local Time: 01:19 PM
Re: Whatever

Quote:
Originally posted by Clawgrabber
If any of this is true about Jeff Ament, it just solidifies exactly why it is that I dislike Pearl Jam so much.

What did he expect? 2 and a half hours? I'm sure that would have gone over well with the U2 fans.

I saw Ben Harper play before The Flaming Lips once. He played for 2 and a half hours. It wasn't pretty. The Crowd started getting really restless at about the 70 minute mark. That last hour was a long one, with each passing song starting off with a sigh of frustration from the crowd.

A lot of big acts have opened for Bono and the boys (Coldplay, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Rage Against The Machine, Oasis, Garbage, No Doubt) and THEY all seemed to be okay with it.

I would imagine there isn't one element of truth in that. I very much doubt in a public place, Jeff Ament of all people would be moaning about being an opening act and slagging off Edge's playing for one and all to hear. People like to stir things up in order to get a reaction. Pearl Jam and U2 have been very good friends since 1992. If Pearl Jam didn't want to be a part of Honolulu, then I'm quite sure they would have said no. The lesson is don't believe everything you read.
neilm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 05:02 AM   #10
Acrobat

Local Time: 01:19 PM
Quote:
Jeff Ament is known to hang out at shaved ice huts
Last time I saw Jeff Ament he was hanging out in a bar. Age must have caught up with him or something!
neilm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 05:27 AM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 04:19 AM
Re: Whatever

Quote:

Pearl Jam has an ego that outweighs the Gallagher brothers?

Man, you have completely no idea about this band.

Maybe you should check the real stories about the band before trusting a cheap rumour.
djerdap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 07:04 AM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

PJ played 4-5 more songs when they opened for the Rolling Stones in Pittsburgh last year.
U2FanPeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 12:46 PM   #13
War Child

Re: Re: Whatever

Quote:
Originally posted by djerdap

Pearl Jam has an ego that outweighs the Gallagher brothers?

Man, you have completely no idea about this band.

Maybe you should check the real stories about the band before trusting a cheap rumour.
easy there, buddy. easy.
i gotta get back to the shaved ice hut. Ament is thirsty and I'm buying the next round. (his favority is banana)
Old 12-16-2006, 06:06 PM   #14
Blue Crack Supplier

after just listening to Edge be freaking brilliant on the ending solo to "Kite" in Melbourne (thx, youtube), Jeff Ament's opinions will last about as long as shaved ice in July.
Irvine511 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 06:40 PM   #15
Babyface

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
after just listening to Edge be freaking brilliant on the ending solo to "Kite" in Melbourne (thx, youtube), Jeff Ament's opinions will last about as long as shaved ice in July.
Again, what proof is there that Ament said this?

thetalkinkkid is offline   Reply With Quote