Tracklist announcement timing? - Tracklist Speculation/Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This was initially discussed elsewhere, but with the new info from the last 24-48 hrs, is there any indication on what the first single will be? Or release date for that?

This was initially discussed elsewhere, but with the new info from the last 24-48 hrs, is there any indication on what the first single will be? Or release date for that?

It's unknown, but the speculation is that U2.com may throw us a bone (or a video clip) today.

To try and put these Mercy/Moment of Surrender rumours to rest...

"There’s a song called Moment Of Surrender, which is seven and a half minutes long. Brian got the ball rolling with a suggestion for some chords and then we made a few adjustments and got to this set of changes that we really liked and then just kicked it off and we immediately realised there was something powerful going on."

Edge talks here about the Fez 2007 sessions. Eno had nothing to do with Mercy, that was composed and recorded in 2004. I doubt Mercy will be on the record. And for the record, I damn well hope it won't be.

Agreed. :up:

I've compared the whole "Mercy on the new album" hopes and dreams people keep having around here to the musical equivalent to standing in a field waiting for the Great Pumpkin....except THIS gourd ain't a comin' :D

This immediately made me think of the Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band Reprise.
Although highly unlikely, how amazing would that be? An initial layered "slow burner" tune and then an up tempo version to finish off the album. I Don't know whether it would fit into the context of this project, but we can dream!

I like that idea. :drool:

It seemed like they were poised to use NLOTH as the promo single, but now they've been dropping hints about Get (On) Your Boots (On), whatever its actually called. Maybe both :hmm:

Maybe the decision to switch lead-off singles is because they can't decide which version of NLOTH they like best?

BTW, what happened to "walk out into the street"?

That is the song "Breathe".

"Walk out into the streets with your heart out, a blah blah blah blah blah, you can breeeaaatthe, breeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaathe".

Same lyric you see.

This immediately made me think of the Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band Reprise.
Although highly unlikely, how amazing would that be? An initial layered "slow burner" tune and then an up tempo version to finish off the album. I Don't know whether it would fit into the context of this project, but we can dream!

same

and yeah that would be very awesome. I do hope we get both versions somehow, like the different mixes of Electrical Storm

everything sounds very promising so far

I'm curious about Crazy Tonight...it's either going to be awesome or a disaster. the others all sound like they have to be good

Agreed. :up:

I've compared the whole "Mercy on the new album" hopes and dreams people keep having around here to the musical equivalent to standing in a field waiting for the Great Pumpkin....except THIS gourd ain't a comin' :D

Ok that made me :giggle:

( :shifty: and the great pumpkin never did show up either... it was only snoopy :wink: )

Isn't the reason we have that sticky stuff at the top so threads like this don't need to get started?

Plus, there's already a tracklist thread.

:no:

welcome...

I still stand by the notion that Mercy COULD have evolved into MOS...

Think about it. Mercy: Moment of Surrender. Like the mercy rule in sports, when a team getting smashed surrenders. The definition of Mercy (ell, there are a few) but A definition of showing mercy is to surrender.

That and it is 7.5 minutes, where Mercy in very rough form registered an easy 6.5

welcome...

Think about it. Mercy: Moment of Surrender. Like the mercy rule in sports, when a team getting smashed surrenders. The definition of Mercy (ell, there are a few) but A definition of showing mercy is to surrender.

That and it is 7.5 minutes, where Mercy in very rough form registered an easy 6.5
Given the Edge's explanation for how this song came about, it is simply impossible. Unless he was lying. It is possible that some piece of Mercy somehow worked it's way into the arrangement, but it's borderline inconceivable.

welcome...

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if Mercy evolved into something else. MOS seems to fit length-wise, though that's all that we have on it so far. We'll just have to wait and see!

I wonder if people will complain even if it's fairly drastically different, but still has enough of Mercy in it to know that that's where it came from...:hmm:

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if Mercy evolved into something else. MOS seems to fit length-wise, though that's all that we have on it so far. We'll just have to wait and see!

I wonder if people will complain even if it's fairly drastically different, but still has enough of Mercy in it to know that that's where it came from...:hmm:

that's what i'm hoping for. i personally would love to see Mercy on the new album, but not in its 2004 form. i do think it had the potential of becoming something big.

that's what i'm hoping for. i personally would love to see Mercy on the new album, but not in its 2004 form. i do think it had the potential of becoming something big.

Yeah, I'd love to be able to dig through their vaults and listen to all the stuff that had great potential that was never used. The old beachclip "404," which we all nicknamed "All My Life"----that song had the potential to be cheesy, and yet had the potential to be massive. From the way they talk about the new tracks & the work with Rubin being shelved, I doubt we'll ever find out how that one would've turned out. :sigh:

Yeah, I'd love to be able to dig through their vaults and listen to all the stuff that had great potential that was never used. The old beachclip "404," which we all nicknamed "All My Life"----that song had the potential to be cheesy, and yet had the potential to be massive. From the way they talk about the new tracks & the work with Rubin being shelved, I doubt we'll ever find out how that one would've turned out. :sigh:

Maybe it'll be part of Spiderman.

:hmm: Good thought! I'm pretty baffled as to what that musical will sound like. I keep coming back to Edge's 'The Batman' cartoon theme song...but there aren't any words!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom