Tracklist announcement timing? - Tracklist Speculation/Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Only Love

I think whatever the track Only Love? is titled its onthe album. Thelatest u2.com video has it playing in the background to Larry's superb drumming.

First post! Hope i'm right

EoF

I didn't read the whole thread so sorry if this was already asked...but what about mercy??
that song didn't make it to the album?

Don't think so, very unlikely. If it is it would've been reworked quite a bit or morphed into another song.

hhhm...has anyone worked out how to access the gallery, quiz, etc on the QU2 site, yet? Perhaps they could post whats on those pages?

The gallery doesn't work as of yet, while the quiz worked for me.

Maybe they were just talking about that one band photo with the lights which will also be the one on the Q mag cover.

More chimey Edge sounds? Hope they sound a tad different from the normal.

I am really not excited by the descriptions of Crazy Tonight & Stand Up, they both sound as if they could be two throwaway songs.

Does anyone remember how many weeks before release the official tracklist was announced? I seem to recall between 4-6 weeks. I can't wait to see what tracks are included and the order ...

I'm hoping this is a true and cohesive album (JT and AB - even ATYCLB) and not just a collection of songs (HTDAAB). With all classic albums the whole is always great than the sum of the parts. IMO bands that understand the importance of the "album" (U2, Killers, etc.) are the ones that last.

The tracklist could be a clue ... can't wait.

I felt HTDAAB was more cohesive than ATYCLB, as that album suffered from a great first half and a very weak second half. But if you state that HTDAAB is a collection of songs, then I'd say that was true for "Pop" (which seemed all over the place for U2, exploring traditional U2 as well as "experimental") and ATYCLB.

Also, even for the albums you mentioned (JT and AB), I've seen so many fans counter with alternative track-listing. Some even say that ATYCLB and HTDAAB would be better albums with a shift in track-listing. :shrug: It just goes back to the "what works for one, doesn't work for another" theme, that especially seems to dominate U2 fans on this website.

What I hope is that U2 avoids the temptation of sticking in the "cute" songs, like "A Man and a Woman", "Trip Through Your Wires", "Babyface", "Some Days Are Better than Others", "If God Will Send His Angels", and most of the second half of ATYCLB. These are the songs that tend to derail an album, IMO. And while people will argue with my song selections, remember, this is subjective. Others probably feel the same, even though their song choices are different. What makes a great album is one that has very few "cute" songs, that the artist loves, but that are a bit questionable on the album.

^ Possible, but we don't know for sure until we hear it. "Only love" never was a title that was mentioned in any interview, fans made it up after hearing the clip.

Nice post doctorwho. Personally, album with a cohesive theme and a unifying sound aside, I'm hoping they abandon the "1 silly song per album" rule they seemed to adopt after AB.

Song titles!

Here are the song titles listed in the Q album preview:

"Magnificent" ("classic U2isms" ... "atmospheric sweep")
"Crazy Tonight" (will.i.am worked on this one)
"Stand Up" ("swaggering" ... "coruscated Edge guitar work")
"Get Your Boots On" ("a heaving electro-rocker")
"Winter" ("about a soldier in an unspecified war zone")
"Unknown Caller" ("stately")
"Moment of Surrender" ("a strident seven-minute epic recorded in a single take")
"Breathe" (Eno loves this song)
"No Line On The Horizon" (there were two versions being considered at the time)
"Every Breaking Wave" (Bono: "We might be on to something special there.")
Eno told Q he thinks it might be U2's best album, and Edge agreed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom