Tracklist announcement timing? - Tracklist Speculation/Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
not according to this....

That, and it would also go along with why Q merely mentions Tripoli (and Breathe and Winter are a part of the album), while RS puts Tripoli on the album, and Winter is no longer there.

OK, here's something wild... :wink:

Lanois said he finished mixing half of the album in New York, right?
So, what if all those songs (10-12 titles) they were working on in London is just the 2nd half of the album... as in double album...

WHAT!? I didn't mention Mercy :wave:

I think I'd be disappointed if it doesn't appear on the CD because I like the concept of the song. On the other hand, I don't think U2 would throw it out because it's not good, IF they throw it out it's because the song will be on the soundtrack anyway. Let's hope there will be room for a whole new song on the album then.

Maybe they want it on the soundtrack only so it can be eligible for a Golden Globe or Oscar. I thought a song had to be specific for a movie, not be part of another project (album) to be eligible for any of these awards.

Maybe they want it on the soundtrack only so it can be eligible for a Golden Globe or Oscar. I thought a song had to be specific for a movie, not be part of another project (album) to be eligible for any of these awards.

The Hands That Built America... was on the Best of as one of the "+ two new songs"

OK, here's something wild... :wink:

Lanois said he finished mixing half of the album in New York, right?
So, what if all those songs (10-12 titles) they were working on in London is just the 2nd half of the album... as in double album...

WHAT!? I didn't mention Mercy :wave:

Except he didn't actually mix too much in New York. The band ended up completely reworking a few of the songs (for the better he added).

They probably got a few songs mixed, but not enough. But you do have a point....Edge even said 1/2 the album was finished in the RS/Q articles; so maybe they did get quite a bit done.

The Hands That Built America... was on the Best of as one of the "+ two new songs"

If I recall correctly, the "best of" did not disqualify the song because the it was a compilation and it could be argued the song wasn't written specifically for that album.

I think it would be more difficult to argue that for a song that makes a premiere on a major album release, i.e. why COBL didn't have a chance to be nominated for it's appearance in The Devil Wears Prada.

According to the AMPAS:

Original Song:
An original song consists of words and music, both of which are original and written specifically for the motion picture. There must be a clearly audible, intelligible, substantive rendition (not necessarily visually presented) of both lyric and melody, used in the body of the motion picture or as the first music cue in the end credits.

Music Awards | Rules for the 81st Academy Awards | Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences

If I recall correctly, the "best of" did not disqualify the song because the it was a compilation and it could be argued the song wasn't written specifically for that album.

I think it would be more difficult to argue that for a song that makes a premiere on a major album release, i.e. why COBL didn't have a chance to be nominated for it's appearance in The Devil Wears Prada.

According to the AMPAS:

Original Song:
An original song consists of words and music, both of which are original and written specifically for the motion picture. There must be a clearly audible, intelligible, substantive rendition (not necessarily visually presented) of both lyric and melody, used in the body of the motion picture or as the first music cue in the end credits.

Music Awards | Rules for the 81st Academy Awards | Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences

:hmm: ok, I see... then what if Winter would be just a "bonus track" on the album?

At least we'll eventually hear it. I guess it's just gonna be another 11 track album, I wanted 12 but you can't get everything. :wink:

Am I the only one who gets more excited about random songs after I hear that they're not going to be on the album???

Is like each time I've heard of some song from any of the past albums that was dumped or changed I wanted to hear it more because I couldn't have it.

I'm the type of person who if I saw a sign that said "No juggling chainsaws" I'd get the urge to want to juggle chainsaws. IDK....its crazy!

I want WINTER now!!!!!

:hmm: ok, I see... then what if Winter would be just a "bonus track" on the album?

Don't know if that would count or not. It's all speculation after all. I just brought up the point because someone said that Winter was taken off the album tracklist. Maybe the song is crap and they didn't want it on the album and has no shot in hell of getting nominated for an oscar. :lol:

I want WINTER now!!!!!

Personally, I'm looking forward to spring. :wink:

I'm not sure if this is the right thread to ask this in, but I hadn't heard this discussed yet. Do you guys think that, since Will.I.am did a remix of it already, U2 is planning to release Magnificent as a single (perhaps single #2)? I just thought of this and it made me pretty happy.

I'm not sure if this is the right thread to ask this in, but I hadn't heard this discussed yet. Do you guys think that, since Will.I.am did a remix of it already, U2 is planning to release Magnificent as a single (perhaps single #2)? I just thought of this and it made me pretty happy.

Hmmmm..... :hmm:

I think you are on to something. *opens can of worms*

Oooh squishy.....

....I don't know if we can go too far in depth about singles without hearing the album, but you make a good observation. Why is he doing remixes already if they didn't think of using the song as a single?

It may have been to use him as much as they could while he was there because it would probably be tough to get every together again in the future. Thats my guess. They may just include the remix as part of the second or third single even if it isn't Magnificent.

Magnificent is definately going to be released as a single, you are probarly correct thinking single number 2! It´s my fav of the beach clips :drool:

I would think Magnificent will be released as a single too. Will.i.Am did a remix of it (read: REMIX) so I'm sure that will be on the bside of it as a single.

Magnificent is definately going to be released as a single, you are probarly correct thinking single number 2! It´s my fav of the beach clips :drool:

Is it more of a mid-tempo song? or a ballad?

either way, U2 generally like to follow up a rocking opening single with a mid-tempo type second single....so it may actually make alot of sense. I'm pretty sure the band knows which two singles they are going to start out with. I've read that bands generally plan out the first two singles of an album then decide the rest based on the reaction to those singles.

Is it more of a mid-tempo song? or a ballad?

either way, U2 generally like to follow up a rocking opening single with a mid-tempo type second single....so it may actually make alot of sense. I'm pretty sure the band knows which two singles they are going to start out with. I've read that bands generally plan out the first two singles of an album then decide the rest based on the reaction to those singles.

Yeah, it's more midtempo. I wouldn't call it a ballad because it has a strong, driving beat--almost trance-like.

I think the remix makes it more likely that it will be a single...but there were also remixes of New York on one of the Electrical Storm singles, so we can't say for sure. But it would make sense because the song is :drool:

Yeah, it's more midtempo. I wouldn't call it a ballad because it has a strong, driving beat--almost trance-like.

I think the remix makes it more likely that it will be a single...but there were also remixes of New York on one of the Electrical Storm singles, so we can't say for sure. But it would make sense because the song is :drool:

where is this "New York Mix" you speak of????? :ohmy:

I'd be interested to hear it.

There are two remixes of NY, both in one version of the ES singles.

How long do you think Tripoli is gonna be?

I'm guessing about 6-8 min.
I'm not sure if RS mentions the duration of this track...

It sounds like a 2-3 minute throwaway track that could be used as an intro to me.

from RS:
...and the ambitious possible album opener "Tripoli," which violently lurches between different sections.

It doesn't sound like something only 2-3 min long.

from RS:
...and the ambitious possible album opener "Tripoli," which violently lurches between different sections.

It doesn't sound like something only 2-3 min long.

I would think that the changes would be more violent/surprising if they were shorter in length and more numerous. Also, I thought it was supposed to be an instrumental? No way will U2 release a 7-8 minute instrumental.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom