TIME Takes a shot at U2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cseggleton

War Child
U2 has more Grammys than any other act in history. This year they were nominated for... what again? The band has a record coming out for the first time in five years in March, so the producers decided to get everyone excited for a night of celebrating last year's music by opening the host-less show with music no one has heard yet. Interesting. U2 sounded fine, and Bono's gradual transformation into Robin Williams appears to be coming along apace, but it was hardly the rocket-fueled kick-off to the show, or to U2's promotional tour, that either party was hoping for.
Grade: B-

they gave a grade to a performance of one song? ok...

eh, whatever. too bad they didn't really like it. I did :shrug:

agreed but the whole Robin Williams thing was probably a little much....imho

I just watched it in HD again...I love it more and more with each viewing :heart:

thanks for posting this, but I'm thinking it could just go in the Grammys thread?

You know, you'd think this fact would make me happy. It doesn't.

Same ... for me, I could care less about the awards; it's all about the music. Although I do like the awards SHOWS, because it means more U2 performances :wink:

I thought Robert Plant said it best yesterday as he accepted Album of the Year, and he recalled how anti-establishment Led Zeppelin were: "back in the day, we probably would have called this selling out... but I actually think it's a nice way to spend a Sunday." That comment cracked me up -- *that* was as far as he was willing to go. Wise words.

It’s not that bad a review.

1) They put everything into it, but they were a bit rusty and the sound was shot.

2) Why they were given a purely token promo spot is a legitimate question. The obvious answer is that the Grammy peeps couldn’t say no to a rating puller like U2 (alongside Coldplay and Radiohead etc), and I don’t see anything wrong with people not liking that. If Coldplay were afforded the same last year there would have been a meltdown here.

Deal with it.

^^^ (Earnie Shavers) Agreed.

I really do hope this album does well, though (but looking at the reception of "Boots" it doesn't bode well). It honestly seems like, contrary to the release of HTDAAB, noone is particularly interested in the band at the moment. I really hope this is not the case and the record blows away most people's expectations... :D

Entertainment Weekly did little blurb reviews online as well. They also rated U2 as a B-.

B- was the lowest rating they gave, which kind of invalidated their whole article, if they truly meant to rate "best and worst." In no universe is B- "the worst."

Neither rating is really interesting enough to rate its own thread. Is someone going to start a new thread anytime someone in the media has something negative to say about U2?

If so, it's going to be a looooooooooooong few months.

If it makes any of you feel any better, my guess is that shortly after this performance, ‘Walter’ had himself torn a new one by some dude who looks like Robin Williams. I wonder if Bono not doing the whole “let me in the sound” and only screaming “Sound! Sound!” was because he was aware it was off.

u2 has more grammys than any other act in history. This year they were nominated for... What again? The band has a record coming out for the first time in five years in march, so the producers decided to get everyone excited for a night of celebrating last year's music by opening the host-less show with music no one has heard yet. Interesting. U2 sounded fine, and bono's gradual transformation into robin williams appears to be coming along apace, but it was hardly the rocket-fueled kick-off to the show, or to u2's promotional tour, that either party was hoping for.
Grade: B-

roflmao!!! Robin williams!!! Hahahahahahahahahahaha

^^^ (Earnie Shavers) Agreed.

I really do hope this album does well, though (but looking at the reception of "Boots" it doesn't bode well). It honestly seems like, contrary to the release of HTDAAB, noone is particularly interested in the band at the moment. I really hope this is not the case and the record blows away most people's expectations... :D

Maybe if they were not trying so hard to make people interested in them, people might get interested in them. They don't need to prove anything to anyone at this point.

Maybe if they were not trying so hard to make people interested in them, people might get interested in them. They don't need to prove anything to anyone at this point.

Maybe if you elaborated on how they tried hard to make you interested, people might get interested in you...

I can't stand the comparisons to Robin Williams...they barely look alike to me....Robin fuckin Williams? No..just no. Not now not ever :shrug:

I can't stand the comparisons to Robin Williams...they barely look alike to me....Robin fuckin Williams? No..just no. Not now not ever :shrug:

128692641903492472.jpg

bono.jpg

bono-robin-williams-400w.jpg

Spin also gave them a poor review. They rated U2 15th out of the 25 performances

Back
Top Bottom