Thread for people who have heard the new album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Does anyone know if that long guitar solo from the 'unknown caller' beach clip made the album? I certainly hope so. It seemed to fit the 'feel' of the song perfectly.

ok so for those who have heard it, where would you rank it as of now? Top 5? Top 3? Any chance of rivaling AB or JT at some point you think?

J2-D2, could you also do us a huge favor and answer the question posted earlier about the riff in the Daniel Lanois trailer?

edit: this one:

YouTube - U2 - Making of "No Line on the Horizon" (I)

Thanks for the video, Mikal—I'm not too conversant with the beach clips and various bits of pre-album goodies out there, so that helps.

Nothing on the album really sounds like that big "Acrobat"-style riff from the video—I'm not musically trained, so it's possible someone will come along after the album's out and go "Oh, that's totally _____!" But it's gone through a lot of changes, if that's the case. (Was that the question?)

The softer, prettier piece at the end could be an early version of "White as Snow." The finished product is not nearly so happy-sounding, though.

Thanks for the video, Mikal—I'm not too conversant with the beach clips and various bits of pre-album goodies out there, so that helps.

Nothing on the album really sounds like that big "Acrobat"-style riff from the video—I'm not musically trained, so it's possible someone will come along after the album's out and go "Oh, that's totally _____!" But it's gone through a lot of changes, if that's the case. (Was that the question?)

The softer, prettier piece at the end could be an early version of "White as Snow." The finished product is not nearly so happy-sounding, though.

cool. thanks for the info. :)

is the guitar solo in the first portion of the 2nd guardian/observer video clip (the one that shows U2 in studio in dublin/london/new york) on the album? i haven't listened to any of the beach clips, etc but from what i read that solo may be from 'magnificent'. is that accurate?

With the exception of a few renditions of "Bullet the Blue Sky" (like in Dublin in '93), I don't think you're going to get me to admit there's a better solo out there than on "The Fly." :hmm:

is the guitar solo in the first portion of the 2nd guardian/observer video clip (the one that shows U2 in studio in dublin/london/new york) on the album? i haven't listened to any of the beach clips, etc but from what i read that solo may be from 'magnificent'. is that accurate?

Sorry—not sure which clip you mean, James. Link?

Thanks, James. (The second part, right?) Yeah, that might be a rough, early take on what became "Magnificent," but the final product sounds pretty different to my ears. In the middle of that video is a bit of "Stand Up Comedy," and at the end is what I think is, again, a very rough, early take on "Crazy Tonight."

Bonoisgodly, I'm not sure how to answer that question. It's a good solo. The Edge is a very good guitarist. I'm not that into solos. I've said a bit more in previous posts on this thread.

Again, most of the reviews are pretty accurate:

"No Line" is a raucous, exciting start to the proceedings—much better than the alternate version—and the only disappointment is that it's wild enough that you think maybe you're getting another Zooropa. You're not. That's not a bad thing, but I would love another Zooropa.

"Magnificent" is like Joshua Tree 2.0: a big, beautiful, classic Edge riff that makes you think of horses racing across a western plain, but with a few dancey touches. If it's not the biggest single off the album, I'll be surprised.

"Moment" doesn't ever feel like it's a seven-and-a-half-minute song. I'm not sure how, because it's not complicated at all, but it never gets boring.

"Unknown Caller" is the weirdest song on the album, and the lyrical offenses ("Force quit! Move to trash!") stand out so much that it's a little hard to like it at first. The music is too interesting to ignore, though—like a proggy take on a classic U2 sound—so you get over it. I'm reminded of that Bono quote about Michael Jackson from (I think) the Bill Flanagan book: how Jackson's voice is the most beautiful sound in the world if you just ignore the words he's singing. And other than those glaring bits, the rest of the lyrics are quiet poignant.

"Crazy Tonight" is a sleeper. It's very poppy, but doesn't catch you right away like, say, "Vertigo" or "Beautiful Day" did. I find myself singing it in my head, though. Edge's guitar sounds so clear.

"Boots" you've heard.

"Stand Up" I discussed above. I don't have much more to say. I suspect it'll be one of those songs that gets a lot of live play on this tour and that in my dreams they would replace with, like, "Last Night on Earth." It's just Bono at his preachiest on the album—it evokes the same reaction I had to "Peace on Earth" and "Love and Peace or Else." The music is pretty good, though, still.

"Fez - Being Born" is just fun; the second half sounds like "The Unforgettable Fire" on acid. They couldn't really perform it live, but it won't surprise me if a recording of the "Lemme in the sound" callback at the start opens the show or the encore.

"White as Snow" is simply gorgeous. Like an old folk song, almost.

When I first heard "Breathe," I felt about it a little like I felt about "Stand Up." It grows quickly, though, and it's one of my favorites on the album now. It takes the preachiness of "Stand Up" and turns it around into this awesome statement of joyful resolve. They had better play it live.

And "Cedars" reminds me of "Wake Up Dead Man," because of the tempo and because it ends so suddenly, on a somber note—and I guess because some of Bono's lyrics approach "Wake Up"'s quality, not in content, but in precision. It doesn't seem like one they'll break out for the tour.

Also: Adam is in prime form throughout. No big bass lines, but lots of nice, low-key stuff. Larry, too. For the first time in a long time (for me), the album feels like it's as much about the music, or more, as it is about Bono.

It's a weird album. I'm not sure it's the masterpiece we were all waiting for. I am sure it's a marked artistic progression and that it'll keep us busy for a long time.
fuck you

and, yourwildhorses@gmail.com

naked, hot pictures in return for the album. i'm not kidding.

that's all, continue.

Does anyone else think the drums in unknown caller remind them of the drums in scarlet from october? seriously listen back to back, i'm getting the same vibe. or i'm just crazy! anyway been a surfer for a long time and don't post much you know 3 kids, wife and not enough time. Really looking forward to this album!

My dad owns a restaurant called Sea Galley. If you send me the album I'll hook you up with a free lobster and steak dinner. I'll even throw in free cheese cake!

I would need to hear more specifics about these pictures... :scratch:

And if any women in the New York City area want to offer sexual favors, I can't accept—my wife would be so pissed :madwife:—but feel free to try.

:D
you are about to get a pm.

several other posters on here who "know" me will verify that i am a crazy ass bitch and i'm probably not joking.

Back
Top Bottom