Thoughts, reviews, opinions about WINDOW IN THE SKIES Here

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Been wallowing in the song's splendor ever since it was leaked, listening to it in the car, at work, at home, at the gym. Posting repetitive posts about how dumb-struck and amazed I am by it... wow, wow, wow.

Can Rick Rubin be, like, given band member status or something?

A solid pop song. Nothing revolutionary.

amazing song. grown even more since i heard the proper version with intro, and then went a step further when i listend to it through headphones, can honestly say, possibly will be one of my fav U2 songs

it makes me happy

Wonderful, wonderful song. Could end up very high on my favourite U2 songs list.

"This is a song we stole from the Beatles".

An amazing pop song that fits well on U218. I'm hoping for more rockin' songs on the next album though. :rockon:

I love it, but maybe it's just because of the "new song" element so It wil be a while before I decide if FOR ME it's among their best.

I think it's going to be huge, it has that element of being a hit single I been putting music at a friends nightclub and it was a bit slow (around 30 people) because it was wednesday but 4 people came up to me and asked me who it was.

And I'm sure people in this board will eventually continue to love it or hate a la One, Beautiful Day, Vertigo because it's going to be overplayed for a while

I like the song, but I can't stand the strings, they remind me too much of factory produced lame, cheesy pop songs

The last time I was so excited about hearing a U2 song was when I heard OOTS. I cannot quite figure out if this one is even better. But it is definitely awesome. Easily one of the best songs this year.

How this sounds like Coldplay I dont know, these people forget that Coldplay was the one that stole their sound from Radiohead U2 and The Beatles and made themselves a big hit doing it.

The sound has some Mercy and Original of The Species in it though and that is not a bad thing at all...I would say its better then the majority of their work which isnt easy to do.

Ah...this song is so cool. I love Bono's vocal, the Edge's 'soft' solo (but a solo nonetheless) and the 6/8 beat!!! Great melodic vocal hook!!

It's a winner, and possibly a decent hit for the band.

Gives me great hope for a Rick Rubin produced album.

Full Review of the song (for friends who still haven't heard it): :ohmy:

First of all, one of the best things is that the sound of the song is much better than Saints ... drums sound ... LIKE DRUMS :wink: (unlike Saints), also guitars are arguably better, there're more details, more sound, etc. Edge is very present with his voice through the song

Second, well, it's a beach clip song... :( so there's nothing much to say about that. It's not a bad song, it's catchy and poppy one, but that doesn't mean "superficial" or "disposable", it's just that chorus with falsetto. But the verses features intersing Radioheadish chords (maybe that's the reason why the clip presents a bit of Fake Plastic Trees first :drool:). For example, immediatly before the chorus, the guitars reminds me Street Spirit (fade out).

The strings are very well done, because they are in tune with the guitars and it doesn't sound cheesy and it reminds me the strings of Sunday Bloody Sunday.

The main problem is that the song isn't original or innovative at all: some parts of the song are pretty much Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses, and the middle part of the song is exactly as the last part of Electrical Storm "Baby Don't Cry".

I don't see any new elements, instruments or sounds in the song :sad: and that's so dissapointing because it shows that U2 are out of ideas and they still can't leave the ATYCLB era :(

Rick Rubin, that HIGHLY OVERRATED producer shows that he has a little (if any) to add to U2's music. This song just sounds like ... another U2 song, and that say it all. He has never had truly fresh ideas for producing, he's completely short of ideas and he has nothing to add to the albums he works. He just has his pathetic excuse for doing something "touching, straight, simple" but in the end his "work" does nothing at all with the songs. just listen to Neil Diamond's 12 songs. The record just sound like a professional mastering collection of demos. He shouldn't keep producing U2 stuff anymore, really. :down:

Overall, a nice song, but in the end isn't a remarkable song like U2's classics, not even close :ohmy:

Last edited:
A solid pop song indeed.. i think bono should stop trying to rime all the time and just write down a great lyric. Not that it isnt but it could be better...

Now that I've heard the studio version (on headphones no less), this song has just so many genius Lennon and Beatles moments throughout...and pop moments in general, that it's almost difficult to comment on it. The "Oh oh oh ohhha" at the 2 minute mark; the "Please-don't-e-ver-let-me-out-of-here!; the sample of The Beatles' 'Why You Say Goodbye, When I Say Hello' (I think it is) at the "oh, no! Oh no!" part; the falestto in that verse....are all pure gold. The vocals are terrific, obviously, especially liking when Bono dips into his Rattle and Hum voice during "soul" (in the striptease line) and in "shame" ("I've got no shame")....absolutely brilliant. And the lower voice with the falsetto harmony...briliant.....the guitar taking it higher. Bono folding his voice around every little hook at every little turn; never missing a beat.

The way the drums kick in in perfect time at the start....the vibe that's introduced in the verses, blending effortlessly into the classic chorus (and I don't use the term, "classic" lightly)....this permeates throughout the verses even ("...you let me in your heart" is pure magic).

The variation of this song is stunning. Usually variation results in a song sounding forced....trying to cram different nuances in. But here it all blends together effortlessly. There's so much sunshine even a simple nuance like, "What it's doin' to me". So damn brilliant. This is a pop symphony.

If u2 ever needed an amazing song to sell a dull best of here it is.

Just another reason why u2 still matter to the music business.

In terms of this not being relevant, innovative, or groundbreaking... maybe that's why they put it on this greatest hits. Maybe it didn't fit in with the concept of the next album, and didn't fit in with the other new songs they are working on. If it did fit in, they would've kept it for the album... cause it really is a great song. I actually think it's new territory for U2. I hope the song acts as a bridge from HTDAAB to what's next, the way Electrical Storm was a bridge from ATYCLB to HTDAAB.

Good tune by a good band. Take it for what it is.

The_acrobat said:
In terms of this not being relevant, innovative, or groundbreaking... maybe that's why they put it on this greatest hits. Maybe it didn't fit in with the concept of the next album, and didn't fit in with the other new songs they are working on. If it did fit in, they would've kept it for the album... cause it really is a great song. I actually think it's new territory for U2. I hope the song acts as a bridge from HTDAAB to what's next, the way Electrical Storm was a bridge from ATYCLB to HTDAAB.

Good tune by a good band. Take it for what it is.
Which is a modern day pop masterpiece.

The Slow Loris said:
So damn brilliant. This is a pop symphony.

Halleluja! Yes, it is a pop symphony isn't it! This song has so much joy in it, its a celebration song, imo. Instantly memorable, it sounds like its always existed. Heard it for the first time this morning and I was singing along by the end.

Its a new sound and I love it.:love:

Doesn't remind me of the Beatles at all - it does remind me of COLDPLAY !!

Ironic given that many think Coldplay copy elements of U2s sound.

A good song but not among U2s best.

gherman said:
Doesn't remind me of Coldplay AT ALL!!!

Beatles, yes

Its interesting that in other threads people have listed off 20 odd songs that WITS reminds them of by the Beatles.

I wanted to wait a while before writing a review but it's okay, I'll attempt a quick one. It's a standard U2 of the 00's pop song, except they don't sound like they're trying too hard which is one of the biggest positives! It's a pleasant enough tune with very very beatlesque harmonies and melodies (esp. the intro) but there's something about it I don't like. I think it's the cliched topic of love and God. On first look, the lyrics are interesting, full of biblical references and generally different from other songs of the same era. But on closer inspection, you see the typical Bono words like soul, knees, love, heart, sky etc. And that 'oh can't you see' line being repeated in the background towards the end of the song becomes a bit too redundant. Otherwise it's a nice enough song with pleasing harmonies and melodies and good production. But I won't call it a classic. Not even close.

I really like this song. I’ve been listening to it a whole lot, I still haven’t figured out if it’s the excitement of a new U2 song or if it’s because it’s really a great song. It’s not like it’s one their best songs ever but if most of the songs on the next album have this kind of quality I will be happy. It’s the most Beatles melody Bono ever did, specially the last part. He’s sounding really good and inspired, so is the entire band really. The song doesn’t really follows the U2 sound rule book, it feels fresh and I love the chorus! It would be really cool if Larry sang on the chorus live (if they ever play it live). It might be a bit too poppy but it’s catchy and in the end irresistible really. The production is perfect, exactly what U2 needs, it reminds me of the ATYCLB production a little. It’s not overproduced but at the same time it has the right amount of studio stuff that makes it more interesting (specially to listen to it with headphones). This and The Saints song gave me high hopes for the album and Rick Rubin, they indeed made the right choice there. I now more than ever hope that they release this record as soon as possible. I hope the next record is as upbeat as this song just a bit more rock n’ roll. A more rock song with this production will sound absolutely delicious, raw and energetic!

Back
Top Bottom