Thoughts, reviews, opinions about WINDOW IN THE SKIES Here

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
t8thgr8 said:
most fun u2 song to sing in a long time. maybe ever. so much to do...

so is Baha Men's - Who Let The Dogs Out but a crap song is a crap song!
WITS is a dull song!! at this rate coldplay will exceed u2 and coldplay are boring as hell!

I wish I had another set of hands so I could give WINDOW IN THE SKIES four thumbs down

:down: :down:

ps i told ya all u2 are not as good as they use to be!!

shaun vox said:

WITS is a dull song!! at this rate coldplay will exceed u2 and coldplay are boring as hell!

I wish I had another set of hands so I could give WINDOW IN THE SKIES four thumbs down

pffffftttttttt

shaun vox said:

Class :lmao:

MrBrau1 said:
It's not progressive enough. Not enough boundaries are broken. Not enough genres are explored. It's so melodic, it's almost like they meant for it to sound appealing to the masses. If they had any balls left, they'd write music WITHOUT MELODY. Melody is the tool of the stupid and small minded, and greedy, can't forget greedy. The only people with smaller minds are those who enjoy songs with melody.

Yes. You are more musically more advanced and clever than U2 and their fans. Happy?

i gotta say i DIG this song, while its not as good as my classic u2 loves (Beautiful Day, One, WTSHNN, ISHFWILF ect.) its still a great song, and its poppyness means that in the current music climate it could do very well in the charts if released as a single.
BTW: IS that edge doing backup?

This is what I posted 2 days ago in one of the other threads but I'll put it again here because it's nice to have a clear, review only thread.

OK here are my initial impressions, keeping in mind that it takes time to properly judge any song, especially to compare it to older stuff.

Some context:
-Favourite album AB, closely followed by JT.
-I think overall U2 is still making absolutely fantastic music, and it never cease to amaze me, that being said they HAVE taken an 'pop-adult-contemporary' direction with the last two albums and I do wish they would go back to darker/deeper stuff.
-I LOVED BD when I first hear it and still do today. But the first time I listened to ATYCLB it was a bit of a let down, and although there are a few really good songs on that album I don't listen to it much anymore.
-I LOVED Vertigo when I first heard it and still do, awesome rock song. I had a pretty good feeling over other Bomb songs after first listen, and I think it's far superior to ATYCLB, but there is still *something* missing, some kind of spark, and I don't like the production either. But overall very strong collection of songs.
-Other recent non-album songs: Hands is their worst song ever, Electrical Storm and TGBHF are reasonably good U2 songs, but nothing massive. I liked them at first but wasn't blown away.
-I wasn't too excited about the beach clips at all, and even a bit worried. 400 was the most promising to me though.

Window in the Skies: I LOVE IT!
-It's a fantastic pop song.
-GREAT vocals, I love the fact that Bono is not pushing too much (which he was on most of Bomb)
-GREAT production, GREAT drums, GREAT melody.
-It's super catchy, I think it could be a massive hit, maybe bigger than anything since BD. It's a song that I think can reach many, U2 fans and non-U2 fans alike.

And most importantly, I think it has that 'spark' that most of the last two albums were missing somehow. I can't get it out of my head, and it has that effect on me that only great U2 songs have: it puts a smile on my face, a tear in my eye, and gives me chills all at the same time.

I can sort of understand that some people who really prefer the darker and deeper 90s stuff would be a bit dissapointed, because there is nothing revolutionary about this song. But what was needed was a powerful, universal, catchy song for the U218 compilation, and WITS is actually really exceeding my expectations on that front.

I do kind of hope they get more experimental with the next album, but really this song feels natural, not forced, and IT'S MAKING ME SO HAPPY! And no, I don't say that every time I hear a new U2 song.

Only time will really tell, but really so far I am impressed.

I love U2

And two days later I would add:

-Like other people have said it's one of the best U2 songs to sing along to.
-I think it could be huge live, possibly more than anything off the last two albums except BD. I mean huge mostly in the sense of reaching to everyone in the audience. And I totally agree with others who said that in order to become a classic it must be one of the 'big' songs live.

shaun vox said:

Oh my god, you're right! Thank god you're here to tell me how things really are!

If you're going for humor, you're failing. Miserably.

In either case, four thumbs down for YOU!! :mad:

oceane said:

-Like other people have said it's one of the best U2 songs to sing along to.
-I think it could be huge live, possibly more than anything off the last two albums except BD. I mean huge mostly in the sense of reaching to everyone in the audience. And I totally agree with others who said that in order to become a classic it must be one of the 'big' songs live.

:up: It should be great when they add it to the set list. I hope enough of the audience will have heard it properly by then to join in to do it justice. I also agree with just about everything else you said in your post.

I don't know if this has been brought up before, (there's way too many pages to wade through) but I was reading through the U2com report on Abbey Road Week One (13 September) again and thought the following was really interesting:

Friday, September 8th 06
Bono often talks of U2’s approach to creating new material as ‘songwriting by accident’. But there’s nothing accidental going on today. Adam, Larry, Edge and Bono are seated around the control room chatting to Rubin who sits on a sprawling leather sofa. They play back their latest take and go through it passage by passage.

Bono has three quarters of the lyric written out on a large pad of white paper – alternative stanzas scribbled alongside the main theme. Two key lines in the verses are missing – to which Bono is la’ing and humming on each take – and it needs some kind of pay-off at the end. It’s a song with no name at the moment.

Larry suggests hearing the first half of one verse segued into the second half of the next. Edge comes up with a missing line - using the world ‘apologise’. If you’re a rap star, says Rick, who knows about rap stars, you get extra points for getting a four-syllable word in your song. Lyrical ideas fly round the room with Bono scribbling them down. Every now and then he goes to the mic, the engineer brings the track up and he tries out a new line. Edge lays down some backing vocals. Larry and Bono swap Oasis anecdotes while Rick talks bass-lines with Adam. Edge scribbles another pair of lines on the back of an envelope.

By early evening Abbey Road has emptied of musicians, engineers and producers but U2 are on a roll. By ten pm many of the missing elements in the song have been added. Everyone listens back again. Nowhere near finished but now with a complete lyric, a new opening and a different ending.

‘It’s been a good day,’ says the singer. ‘This is one that could take the roof off! Let’s call it a night.’

I assume they were talking about WITS -although they hadn't even come up with a title then. It looks as if the line with "apologise" was replaced with the one with rhapsodise.

shaun vox said:

Completely true; they are, in fact, as good song writers as they've ever been.

How great is it to hear Larry in this song!? I my eyes, he was way too absent in Bomb. I love the drums coming in in the first verse of WITS.

I just bought "The Saints are Coming" single, and, in spite of Green Day, I like more "The Saints..." than "Window in the Skies"

"Window..." gets old very quickly

U2girl said:

I think for a classic U2 song, these things need to happen:

- something different
- needs to stand the test of time
- needs to have "it"
- needs to have the ability to make the cross over outside the U2 audience and be acknowledged outside the fanbase

This is absolutely spot on -- and it really can describe all classic songs.

Of the two, Saints will be played regularly, and it has nothing to do with Green Day it's just a better, catchier song. I don't think Windows is a lost cause; what I hope is that they take the feedback into account and come up with a kick-ass single version of it. If they release this version, it's not going to be played. Ii don't expect to be walking through my TJ Maxx five years from now and hear this version of Windows, but I could see Saints coming on the speakers, no question.

silvrlvr said:

This is absolutely spot on -- and it really can describe all classic songs.

Of the two, Saints will be played regularly, and it has nothing to do with Green Day it's just a better, catchier song. I don't think Windows is a lost cause; what I hope is that they take the feedback into account and come up with a kick-ass single version of it. If they release this version, it's not going to be played. Ii don't expect to be walking through my TJ Maxx five years from now and hear this version of Windows, but I could see Saints coming on the speakers, no question.
Why would this verson of 'Window in the Skies' not do well on radio? It sounds to me like radio would wet their pants over it.

OH bono's vocals are horrible, the only thing thats holding it straight up is edge's falsetto and back up vox!
he sounded better live during JT AND ZOOTV than the studio versions of saints and WITS!! no clarity at all!!
YUCK

Jack In The Box said:

"Window..." gets old very quickly

I agree with this. It's almost like candy. Sweet and delicious at first, so you eat a lot, but after a while you get a stomach ache and don't want to eat that candy again for a long time.

I've already got the stomach ache from this song. It might have to do with the high "Oh can't you see..." part being repeated like 600 times throughout the song.

Chizip said:

I agree with this. It's almost like candy. Sweet and delicious at first, so you eat a lot, but after a while you get a stomach ache and don't want to eat that candy again for a long time.

I've already got the stomach ache from this song. It might have to do with the high "Oh can't you see..." part being repeated like 600 times throughout the song.
Man, I actually agree with this. I woke up this morning with the "Oh can't you see...." refrain playing in my head over and over and over and over and....well, you get the idea. I think that's the only part they may have gone wrong with. They could have toned down the number of repetitions of the chorus. It is like candy. There again, candy isn't a bad thing. Only when you eat too much of it....which some of us apparently have. :sexywink:

personally still think sounds as good if not better than when first heard it, the second part of the song gets me all the time

shaun vox said:
OH bono's vocals are horrible, the only thing thats holding it straight up is edge's falsetto and back up vox!
he sounded better live during JT AND ZOOTV than the studio versions of saints and WITS!! no clarity at all!!
YUCK
LOL. I disagree totally regarding the vocals. I had no idea Bono could still sound like he did on 'Angel of Harlem' until I heard him sing, "soul" (in the striptease line) and "shame" (in, "I have no shame"). Shortly after that, he takes flight into a varied falsetto, the likes of which I haven't heard on a studio recording since the early 90s.

Although I still like it, I've been listening to it less and less each day. Parts of it seem overproduced like some of the recent stuff. It has lots of studio enhancements such as vocal effects, overdubs, etc.

Yahweh said:
How this sounds like Coldplay I dont know, these people forget that Coldplay was the one that stole their sound from Radiohead U2 and The Beatles and made themselves a big hit doing it.

"Stole", or were inspired by?:rolleyes:

Bloody hell, if Coldplay are moulding the inspiration of 3 bands into one, they're barely gonna sound like any one of them anyway....

Window In The Skies is ok, better than most of the garbage out there, but to me it sounds kinda clunky and full on...it's like musical claustrophobia...

That said, it will probably grow on me....

According ot last.fm, there are 170 listeners and 961 plays to this song, so far! :ohmy:

Also lists it as 5.02mins.
dunno how they worked that one out :hmm:

The Slow Loris said:

Would you say 'Corpse' is better than WITS?

Yeah, why not? I don't remember Bono ever refering to Corpse as an "eternal song" either, though. It is what it is, and it fits well into Passengers. The whole of the Passengers record is actually interesting and not contrived in the least. Unlike, say, Window In The Skies.

It's a dingleberry of a song. It's small and cute but in the long run it's still a piece of shit.

I'll download it tonight but I wanna know...what's the general opinion? Is it in ATYCLB/HTDAAB style? Have they moved away from that path? Do the people here who knock the '00 a bit dislike or like the song? How long is it? Is it going to be released as a single?

Back
Top Bottom