This Is Where You Can Reach Me Now - Song Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When I start thinking about U2 Classics coming out of this album, this song is definitely on my list.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

When I start thinking about U2 Classics coming out of this album, this song is definitely on my list.

I agree that this song is close and the tipping point might be how it translates live. If it's a snoozer, then perhaps it doesn't reach that level but if it ignites the building...hmmmm

There are actually a few songs that might become classics from this album if they translate very well live

I've been wondering myself which, if any, of these songs will end up being "U2 classics".

Thinking about it, I think U2 kind of has two categories of "classic" songs. The first tier are the big songs that were either huge hits or become such concert and radio staples that they've become part of the general public consciousness. Songs like One and With or Without You.

Then there's sort of the second category...songs that most fans know and love and regard as classics, in sort of a general fan consensus kind of way. These are songs that, while great, never really broke out into the public consciousness or became "hits". Like Acrobat, for example, or MOS. I think most of us would consider those songs classics at this point, but it doesn't mean much to "rock" as a whole. U2 actually has quite a few songs like this, and I'm occasionally surprised when I see how relatively low some U2 songs that I consider "classics" charted...and sometimes I'm surprised when I see a song wasn't a single at all, and how relatively few radio "hits" they've had considering how deep their catalogue is.

My guess is that if SOI has any "classics" on it, they will belong to the latter category.

I've been wondering myself which, if any, of these songs will end up being "U2 classics".

Thinking about it, I think U2 kind of has two categories of "classic" songs. The first tier are the big songs that were either huge hits or become such concert and radio staples that they've become part of the general public consciousness. Songs like One and With or Without You.

Then there's sort of the second category...songs that most fans know and love and regard as classics, in sort of a general fan consensus kind of way. These are songs that, while great, never really broke out into the public consciousness or became "hits". Like Acrobat, for example, or MOS. I think most of us would consider those songs classics at this point, but it doesn't mean much to "rock" as a whole. U2 actually has quite a few songs like this, and I'm occasionally surprised when I see how relatively low some U2 songs that I consider "classics" charted...and sometimes I'm surprised when I see a song wasn't a single at all, and how relatively few radio "hits" they've had considering how deep their catalogue is.

My guess is that if SOI has any "classics" on it, they will belong to the latter category.

That's interesting feedback. I could see most of the "Classic" songs being more of fitting the diehards' needs than Rock as a whole as well which is obviously cool with me.

CosmoKramer
Clayton'sKitten

:hmm:

45822-Keanu-Bill-and-Ted-whoa-gif-Yr7D.gif

Another thing, I would geek out like a school girl if U2 had the guts to release this song as a single.

Another thing, I would geek out like a school girl if U2 had the guts to release this song as a single.

There are enough songs more accessible that this is doubtful, but Bono did select it himself to play out one of his radio interviews, so who knows? There would probably be a single edit shortening that intro.

I'm more concerned with it making the live set.

I enjoy how they constantly switch between flats and naturals within the same measures during the "This is the sign, this is the season" etc

Not exaggerating to say this might be on my all time favorite list

Or maybe that's just the elation I felt listening to it in the car just now...

Not exaggerating to say this might be on my all time favorite list

Its so early that I don't want to say this but im thinking it too. I guess if I still feel this way in 3 months or a year, then I know its not just "new U2 euphoria".

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

This one started out being a favorite. But it's slipped down a bit the more I hear it. There's a lot to like about it: the fantastic opening, Bono's singing is great and it's just a fun song with a great beat. But I feel like I'm waiting for something that never happens. :hmm: It's not that I expect Edge to break into some amazing solo in every song, but maybe a little something. He just feels a bit absent here. (And on this album in general, to me anyway. There are some great guitar moments on the album, but they stand out because they are so few. :shrug: )

Back
Top Bottom