This Is Where You Can Reach Me Now - Song Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Definitely one of their funkiest and grooviest songs in a while. But what strikes me most here is the production by Danger Mouse. It feels so much relaxed and unforced and, judging by my phonak audeo earphones, it has one of best instrument separation in a u2 album. Exceptional stuff.

This is my favourite song so far. Such an unusual strong, weird structure, very clear Gimme Shelter influence. I've listened to it 5x in a row and it's getting better. Bit of a 2 Hearts vibe as well.

Interesting. I like Edge coming through clearly on the intro/chorus backing vocals, and then when the funk comes in on the verse is such a surprise. Adam channeling his younger self works unexpectedly well, and we get that deep register semi-speaking voice from Bono again, which will always get my kudos. The best title on the album, IMO.

So far it's the stand out track for moi! I thought it sounded nice from the moment I heard the intro because it sounded like something off of 'Passengers'. I love the groove they get, especially near the end.

Ok, so this one just keep getting better & better for me. Love it when that happens.

Should work wonderfully live too.

Soldier, soldier.

So far it's the stand out track for moi! I thought it sounded nice from the moment I heard the intro because it sounded like something off of 'Passengers'. I love the groove they get, especially near the end.

I thought the same thing. It sounds like they borrowed something from "Slug" (one of the best off Passengers).

Check out the percussion that kicks in around the 0:30 mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0y4E-kkZDiE

Didn't give this one much of a chance on first listen, but the more I listen the more I like it. One of the many, many strong songs on this album.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Man I F****** love this song, took a couple of listens because there's so much going on

Okay, here me out.

The beat is very catchy and I like the song. However, does anyone else feel like the beat is very.....Halloween sounding? Like a horror movie/spooky sounding beat? Even they way he sings "College" sounds like they are "coming to get you".

Thats what I picture when I listen.

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

Best song on the album (and one of the most interesting musically) has the least amount of posts in its dedicated discussion thread.

Probably speaks more to the taste of Inteference at large.

:down:

Best song on the album (and one of the most interesting musically) has the least amount of posts in its dedicated discussion thread.

Probably speaks more to the taste of Inteference at large.

:down:

Have faith. There's a lot of great tracks to get through.

I think it's a wicked tune.

Same here, if they don't play this song live next tour I'm going to be extremely disappointed. :hmm:

Groovy, funky, and yes the theremin is a bit cheecky, I love it.

Yeah, I'm not buzzing on this yet, because I am buzzing in tracklist order. I've been on a high for every song up to Raised By Wolves. This is the longest I've lingered on one song, but I'll get there.

Yeah, I'm not buzzing on this yet, because I am buzzing in tracklist order. I've been on a high for every song up to Raised By Wolves. This is the longest I've lingered on one song, but I'll get there.

RBW is second last for me.

Anybody have any idea what this song is about?

It's a bit of a nod to Joe Strummer(the Clash) and what a huge impact the clash had on the very young impressionable U2 after seeing them perform live.

Soldier Soldier we signed our lives away, complete surrender, the only weapon we know-- and the bit about "Old man knows how to cheat ambition--you don't lose if you don't play". Bono always complaining that his Dad never encouraged him to dream, because if you don't dream, you can't fail, if you can't fail, you can't get hurt. So my take is it's about them choosing a life in music having a chance to say something meaningful and be heard in the world.

The beat is very catchy and I like the song. However, does anyone else feel like the beat is very.....Halloween sounding? Like a horror movie/spooky sounding beat?

I know exactly what you're saying. I actually really love that element of the song. I've heard Smash Mouth use that effect on their 1999 album Astro Lounge and I really dug it.

It's a bit of a nod to Joe Strummer(the Clash) and what a huge impact the clash had on the very young impressionable U2 after seeing them perform live.

Soldier Soldier we signed our lives away, complete surrender, the only weapon we know-- and the bit about "Old man knows how to cheat ambition--you don't lose if you don't play". Bono always complaining that his Dad never encouraged him to dream, because if you don't dream, you can't fail, if you can't fail, you can't get hurt. So my take is it's about them choosing a life in music having a chance to say something meaningful and be heard in the world.

Exactly. I love this song but it's nice to see how people are flipping around to different favourites. To me this is what Red Light and The Refugee failed to do.

Am I crazy, or could this work as an opener? Slow build, and once it kicks in it's really danceable.

Not that they would actually try this. Then again, they did open with No Line's penultimate track on the 360 Tour.

:dance: Definitely near the top of my list on first listens.

First impression: Seconds/War and Slug/Passengers had a baby. :ohmy:

After buying and listening to the latest Broken Bells album... this one is dripping with Dangermouse's touch. It sounds ok. Not my favourite but it isn't horrible.

Feels very radio. A fun throw away track. An extended jam.

Just like Flaming_C already pointed out....

This is my favourite track of the album. Danger Mouse's fingerprints are all over this track with the deep, methodical bass line. It also has that indie rock sound of Arctic Monkeys.

Back
Top Bottom