This is the best U2 album since......

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Now that I have warmed up to this album... it is in my opinion their best since maybe Pop... although it is very difficult to say. ATYCLB, NLOTH and even parts of Bomb had good stuff, particularly the former two.

Yah I dont know. I wouldn't say it's better than NLOTH but I wouldn't say NLOTH is better than SOI either. All U2 albums have tremendous promise. Just goes to show you how great U2 really are. I like Breathe better than Raised by Wolves but I like Volcano better than Stand Up Comedy for example.

I will not use the word best since everyone has their own best...what I will say is this reminds me of listening to Achtung Baby...and even the backlash.

It doesn't have the classic or popular songs like Beautiful Day or Vertigo but those songs don't equate to their album being better. As a whole from start to finish in terms of every song being very enjoyable and how the songs flow on the album it's easily the best since Achtung Baby in my opinion.

Most consistent since AB and IMO the best, the middle of NLOTH especially boots damaged what could have been a great album.

Sent from my HTC One mini using U2 Interference mobile app

At first, Pop.

After a week, still Pop.

But this is seriously NOT the same band that put out the last three albums.

I never answered this thread because I was holding back until at least a month after release to judge the album.

With that said, it's the best album since Achtung Baby for me.

I don't like Zooropa
Pro: Stay is a very good song and I enjoy Numb as it is very different
Con: Nothing grabs me from this album and the clunkers* far out number the decent/good songs

I wanted to love POP but in the end it is a very average album
Pro: There are some great moments on the album (Do you feel Loved)
Con: There are way too many clunkers* for me to like this album

I really like ATYCLB
Pro: The first half of the album is tremendous!
Con: The second half of the album is weak and POE is always skipped

I really like Bomb
Pro: So many good songs (Vertigo, LAPOE, COBL, MD)
Con: The songs are not cohesive and feel all over the place. Some of the production of the album is dodgy. ABOY chorus seems out of "tune" and the voice crack in STYCMIOYO, while it may have been intentional, kills the song for me

I wanted to love NLOTH but it's an average album
Pro: Magnificent and Breathe are stand outs for me and MOS is a good song
Con: lyrics on the album are very poor in some songs (UC, Breathe, COL) and I find Some songs very boring(Fez, WAS, COL)

SOI
Pro: Album is a grower and there are no clunkers*. Every day I have the urge to go back and listen to multiple songs. The album is also very cohesive
Con: The definitive "guitar anthem" is missing(Ceaderwood Road doesn't do it for me)

*"Clunkers"are very subjective and different for almost everyone.

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

Con: lyrics on the album are very poor in some songs (COL)

I think the lyrics on Cedars are more evocative and memorable than anything on SOI. What's wrong with them, honestly? That's perhaps the last song on NLOTH I would pick at (even MOS has automated teller machine machine).

I think the lyrics on Cedars are more evocative and memorable than anything on SOI. What's wrong with them, honestly? That's perhaps the last song on NLOTH I would pick at (even MOS has automated teller machine machine).

"Soldier brings Oranges he got from from a tank"

Not necessarily a cheesy lyric, just a WTF lyric.

In fairness, it isn't the worst song lyrically on the album and a better example would have been Unknown Caller(the force quite and reboot yourself lyrics are awful)

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Sorry Cosmo. Had to stop reading your post after the Zooropa comment. It's my #1 U2 album.

Sorry Cosmo. Had to stop reading your post after the Zooropa comment. It's my #1 U2 album.

;) it's okay, I don't think my "U2 tastes" align with most here.

But it's all just opinions anyway.

You should have kept reading, it gets even more ridiculous:

Ridiculous? Not really. My opinion is just much more in line with the general public when it comes to those albums.

"Soldier brings Oranges he got from from a tank"

Not necessarily a cheesy lyric, just a WTF lyric.

In fairness, it isn't the worst song lyrically on the album and a better example would have been Unknown Caller(the force quite and reboot yourself lyrics are awful)

I actually don't think the lyrics on NLOTH are bad, in fact I actually like most of them. Suc is obviously pure garbage and the lyrics are beyond atrocious and they should've burned the lyric sheet and destroyed the recording tape to prevent the band from releasing it. And Breathe is kinda awkward in parts. But MOS, NLOTH, Cedars, White As Snow, etc are very good. And even though I'm not the biggest fan of Magnificent, that's my favorite song lyrically on the album. One huge negative for me is the fact that are no additional tracks besides Winter. That's ridiculous, what happened to all of those sessions?!?!??

This album is without a doubt in my mind the very best since Zooropa.

One huge negative for me is the fact that are no additional tracks besides Winter. That's ridiculous, what happened to all of those sessions?!?!??
If not SOI my guess would be SOE and/or SOA. Right? My hope is that they burnt the lot and moved on. NLOTH session outtakes? No thanks.

Sent from my GT-I9070 using U2 Interference mobile app

1 month old SOI compared with the 1 month old versions of the other albums, I'd say this is the best album since ATYCLB, and then best since AB.

1. AB
2. ATYCLB
3. SOI
4. Z
5. HTDAAB/NLOTH/POP

Over time, Zooropa and Pop improved, ATYCLB diminished for me. So, comparing november '14 SOI against the november '14 versions of the other albums, I'd say best since POP.

1. AB
2. Z
3. POP / SOI / ATYCLB
4. HTDAAB/NLOH

One month in, and to me is still the best since AB.

Albums post 91 rank:

1 - Songs of Innocence
2 - ATYCLB
3 - Bomb
4 - No Line
5 - Pop/Zooropa tied (i hate ties)

Back
Top Bottom