They're working on new songs!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't care if they don't "take risks." The music industry is brutal and people have really short attention spans. U2 really can't afford to screw up and that's probably a big reason for the large gaps between albums. They know they have to get it right and appeal to as many people as possible. Sure, it would be great if they threw caution to the wind more often, but I really doubt we'll see that happen very much anymore. I could be wrong, though, and I really wouldn't mind if I was.

Quote:
Originally posted by Thanksandy

They are worried about being the biggest band in the world and therefore do not take the risks like they used to, so there is a lack of experimentation with new sounds or musical styles . . .

Well, again, it's kind of like what this guy said. It all depends on their priorities. If they're still intent on being a huge conglomeration and the "biggest band in the world", then they probably will play it safe.

But if they shun that mentality and prioritize the music and the progress of the band, then who knows what could happen.

It really all depends on what their goals are for the band.

U2girl said:
Anyone else noticed what was pointed out in the U2 News article on this? It really seems like they'll write the songs first, and only make the album later, like Rubin said - as opposed to the usual "let's just jam and see what happens" method.

:hmm:

No.

Nobody here noticed it.

Head firmly up ass.

The most dramatic shift ever in the way U2 records and nobody here noticed.

All their concerned with is "experiments" and "fucking shit up."

MrBrau1 said:

No.

Nobody here noticed it.

Head firmly up ass.

Brau...:applaud:

:hi5:

I'm just glad they're sticking with Rick Rubin....this album is going to be gorgeous!!

Reggie Thee Dog said:

I'm just glad they're sticking with Rick Rubin....this album is going to be gorgeous!!

This part:

BANZAI said:
When asked whether the band will team up again with longtime collaborators Daniel Lanois and Brian Eno, he merely laughs: “You might be surprised how quickly that happens.”

:drool:

sounds like they'll be bringing Eno & Lanois in pretty soon. And yet there's no sign that they're splitting with Rubin. It could actually be pretty interesting to see an album where Eno & Lanois "get in the trenches," but produced by somebody else.

I wonder if U2 need Eno & Lanois and can't do it without them.

:no: Some of U2's best albums (in my opinion, of course) weren't produced by Eno/Lanois. I'd really rather see what they can do with Rubin, rather than pull the old staples back in and do the same old thing. I could accept Daniel Lanois at the least. Not Brian Eno. I don't like him! :scream:

But I am happy to hear they're actually working on something, and not just laying around on their duffs, getting their nails done.

Utoo said:

This part:

sounds like they'll be bringing Eno & Lanois in pretty soon. And yet there's no sign that they're splitting with Rubin. It could actually be pretty interesting to see an album where Eno & Lanois "get in the trenches," but produced by somebody else.

I wonder if U2 need Eno & Lanois and can't do it without them.

It could be Edge was just joking at that part and laughing off that U2 would need Eno and Lanois on ALL albums. I doubt they will call them if Rubin is working out for them.

One word: ATYCLB - Eno and Lanois don't necessarily make great albums.

I think especially Eno is better with younger bands in need of a mentor. He came at a perfect time with UF, but now U2 and Eno are more like equals. Bring on Rubin.

MrBrau1 said:

No.

Nobody here noticed it.

Head firmly up ass.

:up: :up: :up: Right on the money. This sums up where many interferencers seem to be at with the band.

IMO:

"Dark", "edgy", and "experimental" and go fall in a ditch for all I care. Just write really great songs and produce them well, and we'll have a great album on our hands.

MrBrau1 said:

No.

Nobody here noticed it.

Head firmly up ass.

Before going into the studio with Brian Eno and Daniel Lanois for ATYCLB, I remember Bono saying that they were going to try something different -- writing the songs before recording them. And so even though it isn't new for U2, it did mark a big change for the band at that time. ATYCLB is like no other U2 album.

Michael Griffiths said:

Before going into the studio with Brian Eno and Daniel Lanois for ATYCLB, I remember Bono saying that they were going to try something different -- writing the songs before recording them. And so even though it isn't new for U2, it did mark a big change for the band at that time. ATYCLB is like no other U2 album.

They might have said that, but from the stuff I've read about those sessions, a lot of the material came from jamming random parts together (Walk On), Eno-Lanois cobbling bits together (Beautiful Day), or just slogging through jams (New York). I can imagine Edge having Stuck in a Moment ready, but a lot of the record seems studio-born to me. And I really like the record.

heres my extremely humble two cents:

I think its awesome that we've heard news of the boys starting work on the new stuff. I am excited to say the least.

Now, this isn't a breaking news actually:
Everybody could assume, that the band will be in the studion this year to work - the alternative would be, to take a whole year off, what nearly nobody really did expect.
The 2nd info is Rick Rubin having worked with them (no new info either) and that there is fine material coming out (we hope the same, ey?).
The 3rd info about Eno and Lanois might be true or might be just a joke. As some of here pointed out: The couple doesn't necessarily mean, there might come out another "The Unforgettable Fire", "The Joshua Tree" or "Achtung Baby". With "All That You Can't Leave Behind" U2 and these producers didn't do their very best to the band's oeuvre: Though some of the songs are rather nice - as they proved later live - the whole sound of the album is radio-friendly sauce, a light weight baby.

So: For the moment, it's just a statement, that U2 are working together now (which is a very good news), but we don't know anything in detail yet. If they really could work concentrated until summer, would then have a holiday break just to do the final touches in late-summer in Nice - and might release a real album in late November, I'd be very surprised. Still I'd go for a possible release in late 2008, with the tour starting early 2009 in the U.S. ...

Great, Eno is busy, the guy who produced U2's masterpieces won't be able to help U2, let's hire the genius who produced WITS and The Saints.
:applaud:

ZOOTVTOURist said:
Now, this isn't a breaking news actually:
Everybody could assume, that the band will be in the studion this year to work - the alternative would be, to take a whole year off, what nearly nobody really did expect.
The 2nd info is Rick Rubin having worked with them (no new info either) and that there is fine material coming out (we hope the same, ey?).
The 3rd info about Eno and Lanois might be true or might be just a joke. As some of here pointed out: The couple doesn't necessarily mean, there might come out another "The Unforgettable Fire", "The Joshua Tree" or "Achtung Baby". With "All That You Can't Leave Behind" U2 and these producers didn't do their very best to the band's oeuvre: Though some of the songs are rather nice - as they proved later live - the whole sound of the album is radio-friendly sauce, a light weight baby.

So: For the moment, it's just a statement, that U2 are working together now (which is a very good news), but we don't know anything in detail yet. If they really could work concentrated until summer, would then have a holiday break just to do the final touches in late-summer in Nice - and might release a real album in late November, I'd be very surprised. Still I'd go for a possible release in late 2008, with the tour starting early 2009 in the U.S. ...

I concur.

A very late 2007 release date at this point is not impossible. Highly unlikely, but now that we at least know they're at work I wouldn't put it in "hell freezing over" territory. :wink:

For it to happen, the album would have to come together with no delays, and Rubin would have to force them to release something they may or may not be confident in. Rubin isn't going to hang out in the studio with them for the next 2 years, he just isn't.

Still, I think the album will be finished by spring of next year. Not released, but probably finished. Then they'll lose the CD in July and the first single will come out in September. Sound familiar? :|

People exaggerate how long it's going to take them based on Bomb's sessions, they seem to like Rubin (as weird as that may be) so hopefully the sessions go well. It's obvious they're aiming for fall 2007, they won't release anything that's not in the fall and they're not going to want to be off the map for that long. Granted it's not good to get hopes up, but this 2008/9 paranoia is getting ridiculous.

powerhour24 said:
People exaggerate how long it's going to take them based on Bomb's sessions, they seem to like Rubin (as weird as that may be) so hopefully the sessions go well. It's obvious they're aiming for fall 2007, they won't release anything that's not in the fall and they're not going to want to be off the map for that long. Granted it's not good to get hopes up, but this 2008/9 paranoia is getting ridiculous.
:up: If U2 hadn't panicked and switched producers, HTDAAB would've been released a year sooner. It's there in U2 By U2:

Adam: We worked through the summer and coming into autumn 2003 we had recorded an album's worth of material. Jimmy Iovine had heard the tracks and was saying 'You've got a record, we're ready to release it.' But there was unease within the band

Larry: It just wasn't there. The songs had a lot of things going for them but they had no magic, that thing that separates the ordinary from the extraordinary. It's hardd to put your finger on but the songs just weren't ready. It was a very difficult thing to say to Bono and Edge. Bono was really pushing for us to release those songs. He was unhappy when we didn't agree with him. This is not a conversation you have with your mates, who are working very hard, unless you feel sure you are right.

A page ahead of that, Adam says "We started in March 2003 and the plan was to have an album out by the end of the year." So say they started again in March 2007, if they do better with Rick Rubin than they did with Chris Thomas, there is definitely the chance of a release this fall. Plus there's no telling how much they got done last summer. I have high hopes for Beachleg 402 :drool:

DreamOutLoud13 said:
Plus there's no telling how much they got done last summer.

thats the key piece of info here.

like i said earlier in the thread, we know they have been writing and recording some new material.
so far we know atleast 4 songs from the Beach Clips. and one of them became Windows in the Sky.

WITS was in its raw form in the clips. and it was polished by Rubin in London last year. and they was there for 3 weeks.
i dunno how long it takes to mixs songs and whatnot, but maybe all 4 of the Beach songs where cleaned and finalised in Abbey Road.

Adam did say we have an album's worth of stuff.

Also i posted this in PLEBA:

waynetravis said:

so more songs were played other then the Beach Clips most of us now have :hmm:

Also i just want to say when we spent Wednesday night outside Abbey Road studios.
I was talking to a guy who lived in the appartment building next door. And he said from his bedroom window he could see the band in the stuio's courtyard/garden area taking breaks.

here is the interesting part:

He said he could hear music and lots of guitars and catchy melodies, and that he didnt know it was U2 until about a week or so after they started recording.

he said one of the songs he heard was very likeable to With or Without You.

The only way I see any type of new songs from U2 this year is:

A. They put out a new song on a soundtrack or similiar compilation.

B. They put out a new album but dont plan to tour for it.

I see neither happening and I think the compilation song would be more likely.

Otherwise, new album 2008, tour 2009. I dont see it as "paranoia" either. It just makes the most sense to me. Its also the timetable I would prefer.

Also, where has it been confirmed Rubin is the producer of the next album? I havent seen anything from Rubin or the band that its a for sure thing. He may very well be, but I'm not sure they have worked it out as a for sure deal or that they even know for sure who will produce it.

March 29, 2007: Edge spoke about the current recording sessions with Rolling Stone magazine:

"We're working on new songs and getting lost in the music," he says. "I don't think we're going to try and think too much about what we're going to do with it yet, we're just going to do a lot of writing and just see what gives. We're giving ourselves the luxury of just working on the songs. There's some amazing things coming through." He calls the material the group's been working on with producer Rick Rubin "fascinating stuff." When asked whether the band will team up again with longtime collaborators Daniel Lanois and Brian Eno, he merely laughs: "You might be surprised how quickly that happens."

I don't see it happening, but it would be great if they could come up with an album by the end of this year and tour during the election year.

Oh to dream. :drool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom