They're in the studio

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
U2girl said:

Interesting. I thought they only went there for a week last year, with Rubin.

Abbey Road+Eno+Lanois... :ohmy:

Just to add to this possible rumor. I don't know if/when U2 would make the move to Abbey Road. I read on one of the Oasis forums that they are currently in Abbey Road and might be recording there till Chirstmas...

lmixristhebest said:
In "U2 by U2" Paul McGuinness says something like "For a band of U2's stature, it's ridiculous to release an album anytime but the 4th quarter." So, I wouldn't expect the next album until September (at the absolute earliest) but more likely November.

So basically, what you are saying is that we have an entire year to wait until the new cd is released? :|

risse said:

So basically, what you are saying is that we have an entire year to wait until the new cd is released? :|

most likely. i've thought that all along though, so i'm not one bit dissapointed.

Over-saturation

I'm glad U2 takes as long as they can for a new album because they can get into the problem of over-saturation. Bands like Coldplay are starting to feel it and holding back their albums a bit. Once a tour is out these kind of bands will be all over the place.

We've got an Under a blood red sky DVD looming in the background, and the rest of the album catalog to be remastered after Joshua Tree, and U2-3D. They have to be careful that people don't get sick of them the way the critics did for Rattle and Hum. A possible passengers album, and a new U2 album and tour (with DVD) will be lots to chew on next year.

In the meantime I can enjoy In Rainbows, and the new Coldplay album coming out probably early next year. Hopefully Doves will also have another good album in '08.

On the other hand, all that material is aimed at fans or "super-fans", and doesn't compare with the media saturation of a new album release.

All I know is..... a year is a long time.

A friend of mine went out for dinner with them last week prior to the secret London show. Apparently they are brimming with 'new album excitement' at the moment. :drool:

bono_man said:
A friend of mine went out for dinner with them last week prior to the secret London show. Apparently they are brimming with 'new album excitement' at the moment. :drool:

Care to get your friend to give you all the details? Don't even care about the new album stuff....but to go to dinner with them....that is awesome!!!!!

BEAL said:

Care to get your friend to give you all the details? Don't even care about the new album stuff....but to go to dinner with them....that is awesome!!!!!

That is awesome.

Edge could you pass the salt please. And why your at it, could you play Mofo next tour. :wink:

Venus Has Frequent Bursts of Lightning

By SETH BORENSTEIN

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Nearby Venus is looking a bit more Earth-like with frequent bursts of lightning confirmed by a new European space probe.

For nearly three decades, astronomers have said Venus probably had lightning - ever since a 1978 NASA probe showed signs of electrical activity in its atmosphere. But experts weren't sure because of signal interference.

Now a magnetic antenna on the European Space Agency's Venus Express probe proved that the lightning was real.

"We consider this to be the first definitive evidence of abundant lighting on Venus," David Grinspoon of the Denver Museum of Nature and Science told reporters Wednesday at a briefing in Paris.

The finding is significant because lightning affects atmospheric chemistry, so scientists will have to take it into account as they try to understand the atmosphere and climate of Venus, he said.

The lightning is cloud-to-cloud and about 35 miles above the surface, said University of California, Los Angeles geophysics professor C.T. Russell, lead author of a paper on the Venusian fireworks. It is being published in Thursday's issue of the journal Nature.

Bursts of electrical energy from lightning are something that scientists have long theorized could provide the spark of life in primordial ooze.

But not on Venus.

"If life was ever something serious to talk about on Venus, it would be early in its history, not in its current state," said Sean Solomon of the Carnegie Institution of Washington, who was not part of the research team. "It's a very unforgiving atmosphere."

The idea of Earth-like lightning is fascinating, Russell said. However, you couldn't see it from Venus' surface, nor would you want to look because the Venusian atmosphere is 100 times more dense than Earth's, is about 900 degrees hotter and has clouds of sulfuric acid, he said.

"It may be Earth's 'evil twin,' but it is in many respects Earth's twin," Russell said.

What excites astronomers most about the lightning discovery is simply the coolness factor.

Venus' weather forecasts have long thought to be "kind of boring ... steady winds for the next 400 years," said Allan Treiman, a senior scientist at the Lunar and Planetary Institute in Houston, who isn't affiliated with the research. The idea of lightning, he said, adds a spark to Venus' weather.

---

AP science writer Malcolm Ritter in New York contributed to this report.

someone should tell them that it wasn't really lightning, but just edge combusting again while u2 were recording their new punk rock album.

source

U2 currently recording in the Southb of France.

Bono gave the Independent an Interview primarily about (Product) RED but he mentioned several album-details.

http://www.larrymullenband.de/zootopia/index.php/home/161

http://news.independent.co.uk/world/politics/article3212986.ece

Relevant parts:

Bono continues to ride two horses in all this. Yesterday he was holed up in a studio in the south of France with the rest of his band working on the next U2 album.

"We're just beginning the processes. We did some recording in Morocco last year. All the band went to an amazing religious music festival in Fez with some incredible sufi singers. It was a real humbling thing for a punk rock shouter, listening to these people who just close their eyes for 40 minutes and sing the most sophisticated melodies.

"We got this little riad, a small hotel with a courtyard in the middle and set up the band there, with a square of sky over our head. The two great catalysts of U2's recording life, Brian Eno and Daniel Lanois, joined us. We'd record during the day and then disappear into windy streets of the medina at night.It was an inspiring experience and a drummer's paradise."

Now, he says, they are trying to get their heads around what they recorded. "World music this is not," he says, though U2 fans will "feel the difference". Polyrhythmic is the word he chooses with a self-deprecating laugh.

"U2 in dancefloor shock. Normally when you play a U2 tune, it clears the dancefloor. And that may not be true of this. There's some trance influences. But there's some very hardcore guitar coming out of The Edge. Real molten metal. It's not like anything we've ever done before, and we don't think it sounds like anything anyone else has done either."

For Bono that message is both personal and political. He hopes to have a new U2 album out next year. "We have enough material for two albums but it has to be extraordinary. And I think we've got that."

But of course since Bono said it, be careful and don't take every word for granted.

:wink:

^^ Wow! I really can't wait for this, it feels like a melodic-post-rockish type of thing going on except with vocals but i don't know. Material for two albums means extroadinary b-sides and/or a real solid album =]

that's a cool interview. i know bono tends to get carried away, but the mentioning of the word trance does have me a tad excited.

light said:

"U2 in dancefloor shock. Normally when you play a U2 tune, it clears the dancefloor. And that may not be true of this...There's some trance influences...But there's some very hardcore guitar coming out of The Edge...Real molten metal...It's not like anything we've ever done before, and we don't think it sounds like anything anyone else has done either."

:bonodrum: He's back bangin' the ever familiar 'new album drum' lol. Man, this article is full of new yet classic Bonoisms, my favorite being Real Molten Metal :lol: Still, it's great to hear the talk begin!

Last edited:
It's not like anything we've ever done before, and we don't think it sounds like anything anyone else has done either."

U2 hits the long-awaited Final Frontier.

There's obvious Pop comparisons here when Bono talks about the dance floor, but they were aping others at the time, while U2 evidently thinks they're carving out a fresh niche with a new alt-rock/pop/trance Edge Molten Metal album.

Sounds like good news for the rhythm section. Talking about Pop....

light said:

Now, he says, they are trying to get their heads around what they recorded. "World music this is not," he says, though U2 fans will "feel the difference". Polyrhythmic is the word he chooses with a self-deprecating laugh.

"U2 in dancefloor shock. Normally when you play a U2 tune, it clears the dancefloor. And that may not be true of this. There's some trance influences. But there's some very hardcore guitar coming out of The Edge. Real molten metal. It's not like anything we've ever done before, and we don't think it sounds like anything anyone else has done either."

For Bono that message is both personal and political. He hopes to have a new U2 album out next year. "We have enough material for two albums but it has to be extraordinary. And I think we've got that."

:hmm: Polyrhythmic = use of various un-4/4 timing in music ?

Trance and molten metal (a yawn in advance for all the crap he will get once the album comes out). :huh: Interesting that it doesn't sound like U2 on their past albums, I thought Fez would bring something new out of them.

Two albums being Passengers part II and the regular U2 album, or is he talking about two U2 albums, or a double U2 album ?

U2girl said:

Two albums being Passengers part II and the regular U2 album, or is he talking about two U2 albums, or a double U2 album ?

I think that at the end of the day, there will be no "Passengers part II," even if we get two albums in the next year or two. I think that there's a chance that all of the new U2 + Eno + Lanois material will end up being labeled as U2, but with Eno & Lanois getting major writing credit (&payshare).

That's not to say that we won't see a Passengers II album. I just don't think that seeing the material distinctly separated and labeled differently is as 100% guaranteed as the way we've been talking about it.

Haha, The Boner has spoken.

"Real molten metal", "trance influence", "sounds like something that nobody has made before"...

Don't say I didn't warn you when the next record ends up sounding like a Coldplay/A-Ha hybrid.

light said:

haha, yes! more bonoisms...
the fun is finally beginning!

djerdap said:

"Real molten metal", "trance influence", "sounds like something that nobody has made before"...

Don't say I didn't warn you when the next record ends up sounding like a Coldplay/A-Ha hybrid.
Can't be because Coldplay copy's U2 not the other way around.. ;)

Based on Bono's comments and Lanois's comments about being like the time when they made Achtung Baby I think we are in for a great departure on the next record. You can tell when U2 makes a success that many bands follow them and eventually they have to take a hairpin turn in another direction. Just like Pele in soccer. I remember when Achtung Baby was so much different from the grundge era. I also remember when Radiohead went in the direction of electronics and U2 went in the opposite direction of All that you can't leave behind. U2 are bloody smart!

I know that Coldplay feels they have a great album coming up next year and since they worked with Brian Eno, I'm sure Eno would have told U2 and U2 would be totally aware of the competition out there. Radiohead came out with a great straight forward rock album this year.

Competition is up. Expectations are up. U2 are trying to prove themselves.

If anybody thinks this is going to be a "meh" album will be in for a surprise. :ohmy:

Please keep in mind that this is from someone that described A Man and A Woman as "Marvin Gaye meets The Clash".

purpleoscar said:
If anybody thinks this is going to be a "meh" album will be in for a surprise. :ohmy:

But if you think it's gonna be a "meh" album and it really turns out that way, then you won't be disappointed. I'd rather be pleasantly surprised by a record that exceeded my expectations than be disappointed by a record that I put on a pedestal way too early.

djerdap said:

Yes, because something said in December of 2007 HAS to apply 100% to the sound we won't hear until the Fall of 2008.

Well said purpleoscar. I would love to see some of the posters when this album comes out...

Last edited:
The Fez part is interesting. And that they are back in France to record.

But for the rest ... metal, dance, trance, whatever ...
I believe it when I hear it ...

:lol:

Granted, given what we've heard from the Lanois movie and what little I know of Arabic music, I can actually see "some trance influences" as a fitting description. :shrug: As for the metal bit, that'll be hard to tell until we see the album.....though there was the Bono interview a year or so ago when he said that for the next album, they'd have to either give up rock altogether, or go very, very hard. :hmm:

Of course, as has been mentioned, nothing said about the album should be expected to really apply to it until we start getting quotes closer to the release date. Talking about an album that may be a year away is going to give us descriptions of how the music is right now, but not necessarily how it will be in the finished product.

All the same, it's fun to get excited!

U2girl said:

Yes, because something said in December of 2007 HAS to apply 100% to the sound we won't hear until the Fall of 2008.

Well said purpleoscar. I would love to see some of the posters when this album comes out...

sounds like you're already forming an opinion on the new album when you know basically nothing :rolleyes:

Yes, I think it will be different to ATYCLB and Bomb (maybe even different to all of U2's albums). Based on what the band and the producers said, and that they went to Morocco and played with African musicians.

Most of all, I will make my final opinion once I actually hear the album. Rad, I know. In my experience it's much better than going "ha! they said _____ and we got ____! liars! traitors!" and "they're full of it" after months of "why don't they say anything, puh-leeeeze?" begging.

And if you'd been around longer you'd know how many of the posters decided this album will be "ATYCLB part III", "sell out" etc etc before we even got any news or any sound clips. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Molten metal :drool:

i doubt the whole album will end up like how he's describing, but just like there's some tracks on HTDAAB that fit the "punk rock on venus" description (Vertigo, LAPOE...um...yeah that's bout it), I bet we'll get some tracks that have a trance feel or molten metal or whatever :wink:

either way it sounds awesome, and I'm glad they're saying it sounds different. I don't know if it will be different than anything anyone else has done, but I do truly believe it will be a new sound for U2.

i'm very much looking forward to this album, imo. thanks for posting the news. I know people give Bono shit, but I'd rather hear something than nothing at all.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom