The Troubles - Song Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This is a good tune. I wish I could say the same about the rest, but this is clearly the stand-out song. Really nice cameo by Lykke Li.

best song for me so far…. but it's all very confusing !!

I think this is my favorite song on the album.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I liked it the first time around and I'm liking it even more the second time. Chills at times, even (which I can't say about most times when I hear new releases).

Best track on the album.

The lyrics in the chorus are the best thing Bono's written in a good bit

Somebody stepped inside your soul
Somebody stepped inside your soul
Little by little they robbed and stole,
til someone else was in control.

Talk about an unexpected collaboration (then again the last time they recorded with guest musicians beyond Danny and Brian was Pavarotti practically 20 years ago so ANY collab was unexpected). This is the most direct Danger Mouse influence I sense on the whole album, it's 90's U2 meets the Norah Jones tracks on DM's "Rome" album.

Talk about an unexpected collaboration (then again the last time they recorded with guest musicians beyond Danny and Brian was Pavarotti practically 20 years ago so ANY collab was unexpected). This is the most direct Danger Mouse influence I sense on the whole album, it's 90's U2 meets the Norah Jones tracks on DM's "Rome" album.

I'm pretty positive on the album but the last 3 tracks make me wish we'd have more of DM's stuff.

Agreed, all the earlier tracks scream too many cooks in the kitchen as per usual. Declan Gaffney and Danger Mouse should have been enough.

Reminds me of NLOTH in a way, don't you think? Seems unfinished somehow.

Fade out makes more sense if its basically a double album (as it sounds like it almost certainly is). It's a transitional piece, an end to Act 1 or 2, not a final number really. I think.

That said, this is exactly what I had hoped for from DM+U2. I like the rest of the record so far, so I'm not complaining about the extra producers really... but I love this song. It has a lot of DM but a very distinctive 'One' vibe. I love this song. And the lyrics are so quietly immense... 'Somebody stepped inside your soul', 'I'm naked and I'm not afraid'... Jesus.

Hope more of this stuff makes it onto 'Experience', but this is classic U2 shit right here. It has that slight ironic distance that 'One' has but the sense of immense earnest feeling just beneath the surface.

I really hope they play this live. After a few listens, this seems like the kind of tune they might not figure out a good way to play live. Probably my 2nd favorite, at the moment.

Haha, this is the song that we thought was "Song for someone", I could have sworn I've heard the title in the beach clip! But we weren't wrong about the female voice here after all. Surprised it's Lykke Li. LOVE the song, but the fade out is too abrupt.

The fade out is odd, but it seems to match the sadness of the song. As if it was not allowed to live up to it's potential...

If I have one complaint about this song is that Bono never gets to sing the hookiest part.

Back
Top Bottom