The Troubles - Song Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Does anyone know what are the words that Bono yells during the two last repetitions of the chorus (before and after the "god knows its not easy..."part)? They are not in the official lyrics, and I can only understand some of them...

Thanks!

This part:

"God knows it's not easy
taking on the shape of someone else's pain
God now you can see me
I'm naked and I'm not afraid
My body's sacred and I am not ashamed."

I think that's what he is singing... ??

This part:

"God knows it's not easy
taking on the shape of someone else's pain
God now you can see me
I'm naked and I'm not afraid
My body's sacred and I am not ashamed."

I think that's what he is singing... ??

Edited to add... Bono is just wailing during the other parts... ad libbing,,, I think... sorry I just realized what part your were referring to.

Love this haunting song. It's classic U2. I interpret it as the duality of "the troubles" in an intimate relationship and possibly pointing to the actual "Troubles" of Ireland's past. I love how both scenarios could fit the powerful lyrics. What do feel the lyrics mean?

Interestingly, I just got confirmation that my paper on this very topic, with some "Raised by Wolves," too, was accepted for the 2016 Popular Culture Association / American Culture Association conference in Seattle. My first paper acceptance as a professor, first pop culture conference, and my first time writing/speaking about U2. Hopefully I can get it published down the line.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

This is a great version. Shame they stopped playing it.

[yt]9mseprqw0RI[/yt]

So awesome. In wouldn't trade the euphoric second half of the show for anything, but this is stunning and a perfect example of how great grown up U2 can be.

sounds pretty good live! can see why it might have sucked the mood out of a room sandwiched between Beautiful Day/With Or Without You, but then again I was never there.
didn't expect The Edge to be playing it on the Explorer either, that's interesting..

edit : well that was my 6000th post, glad i used it wisely.....!

Last edited:
i have said it before and i'll say it again -- at the two shows I saw the troubles at (Montreal 3, NYC6), it was received very well. it did much less to kill the mood than every breaking wave did, and it had a better reception.

Yeah they absolutely nailed that song the last couple times they did it. They made some unusual set list choices regarding SOI. Volcano, California, troubles, lucifer and crystal ballroom all got less than 10 plays. Meanwhile Iris, Cedarwood, SFS and RBW and even Invisible got played every night? Seems odd to me.

Seriously thou, does anyone know the details on her involvement on this? Even with headphones im not 100% sure i can hear her parts

She sings back up on the "have a will for survival" parts, and then I'm sure she's backup on the "somebody..." parts, although she's pretty buried in the first one, she's easier to hear in the second.

She sings back up on the "have a will for survival" parts, and then I'm sure she's backup on the "somebody..." parts, although she's pretty buried in the first one, she's easier to hear in the second.

Thanks, I'll look for this. Weird that they didn't credit her (I think)

Oh I just heard it mentioned online somewhere. I didn't dig out my liner notes to confirm, but swung by google/wiki and didn't see her mentioned any where close to as much as lykki ly. But I suppose that's cuz she's only on an alternate version and not as predominately.

Back
Top Bottom