The real reason U2 isn't releasing any of this material

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
One song in all of U2's catalogue? Strong point you got there...

And that "point" is BS.

Ah, and now he rolls out the insults! What took ya so long? You're almost as entertaining as Boy N Da Hood.

i don't see how any of those things said are "insults." you weren't called an insufferable wanker or anything.

and if you're really looking for a song where bono's lyrics directly stepped on toes, there's this little song on War that fits the bill. i believe it's the opening track, too. forget the name... i think it's related to that friday song by rebecca black though.

Back when Bono used to step on toes, it was more because of the speeches than the lyrics. But, of course, he doesn't say much that's too controversial anymore. I suspect that GWB managed to gag him with the massive gifts of aid to Africa.

Bono realized he could get a lot more done talking face to face with people rather than saying something from a stage. Plain and simple.

But this has nothing to do with lyrics.

Bono realized he could get a lot more done talking face to face with people rather than saying something from a stage. Plain and simple.

But this has nothing to do with lyrics.

In a way he was right. Billions went to Africa. But Bono ceased to be the politically inspirational figure that he once was.

You say that like no one finds him politically inspirational now.

Which is more politically inspirational - angry lyrics and speeches, or actual activism?

I agree about the change in his lyrics, but come on.

But Bono ceased to be the politically inspirational figure that he once was.

This couldn't be further from the truth. I guarantee you more have signed up, and are aware of the issues in Africa through the ONE campaign than those he turned on to AI in the 80's.

You say that like no one finds him politically inspirational now.

Which is more politically inspirational - angry lyrics and speeches, or actual activism?

I agree about the change in his lyrics, but come on.

I suspect that Bono gets a lot of signatures now, and people sign up for the One campaign, but then they go home and feel like they've done their part and forget about it.

I feel like the politics was more hands on in the 1980s and early 90s.

Maybe.... maybe the speeches were more inspirational, even if he's accomplishing more concrete change now.

I can't disagree with the signature stuff.

But aside from his hands-on work in Africa in the 80s, and maybe the Sellafield involvement (which was a whole band endeavor), what did he do in the 80s and early 90s that was more hands-on than what he did from 2000 or so through now? He's actually working with politicians and advocacy groups on debt, AIDS and what-have-you.

That's taking action to try and make some sort of change, not just raising awareness like waving some semaphore flags and tromping through radiated muck in order for Sellafield.

I'm sure someone who knows more about the ins and outs of his campaigns/work could argue about what how much it's actually accomplished, but I fail to see how the 80s/early 90s stuff is more hands on than what he's done more recently.

I can't disagree with the signature stuff.

But aside from his hands-on work in Africa in the 80s, and maybe the Sellafield involvement (which was a whole band endeavor), what did he do in the 80s and early 90s that was more hands-on than what he did from 2000 or so through now? He's actually working with politicians and advocacy groups on debt, AIDS and what-have-you.

That's taking action to try and make some sort of change, not just raising awareness like waving some semaphore flags and tromping through radiated muck in order for Sellafield.

I'm sure someone who knows more about the ins and outs of his campaigns/work could argue about what how much it's actually accomplished, but I fail to see how the 80s/early 90s stuff is more hands on than what he's done more recently.

I think HE is more hands on now, but I suspect his speeches were more likely to inspire hands on action from others in days gone by.

Perhaps you're being facetious with your responses but I'll address them seriously.

You're definitely right, sloppiness just wouldn't do, but there's a point where a creative project doesn't improve no matter how much work is done to it.

Yes, music is subjective. What I was refering to in my earlier post was in regards to the quality of ther performers (ie: guitarist, singer, drummer, etc). U2 should work to the best of their ability and yes they should stretch themselves as individuals on each passing album and tour. Practice makes perfect. If the band released a new album and yet they all still played and performed exactly the same as they did in their early years then wouldn't you feel a bit peeved?

If U2 weren't lowering themself to a mainstream audience why did they bother to shove three "over produced" tracks in the middle of No Line On the Horizon?

Because 2 of the tracks were released onto the mainstream "pop" charts as singles. Crazy is a pop song and I realize this now. Every mainstream artist releases the most accessible tracks of their latest album in an attempt to get non fans to buy their album. This way they can boost sales beyond their fan base. It's called marketing.

The bright spark was probably some business-minded person who works within their record company.

What about the video for The Saints Are comming? That was a risk I thought.

Wouldn't it have been a bigger risk if Bono had written a song criticizing the Bush administration's handling of the relief effort in New Orleans...? But Bono and Bush were cosy over Africa, so there you go...

As for this...

Mysterious Ways was a huge single and it was completely reworked on ZooTV (and this is what I consider to be a song completely reworked by U2, with added lyrics, added guitar solo, new intro and so on... not playing a couple of notes over a pre-recorded remix track made by Redanka).

I'm no musician, but I don't think Adam's playing the same bassline and Edge's guitar differs from the album. And Larry is not playing the same beat as recorded on the album version of the song. 3 out 4 members (Bono has some minor changes, mostly in the way he sings the verses) aren't playing the album version, why is this not a significant reworking of the song ? It went from a straightforward pop song to a dance remix.
As a musician...

Crazy Tonight is a remix. Mysterious Ways is a reworking. There's a large difference.

Mysterious Ways has parts added to it, but once they start playing the first verse, everything is the same as the album version musically until the end, additional solo. Edge's guitar is the same, Adam's bass is the same, and pretty much all of Larry's beat is the same.

Mysterious Ways live is not a remix.

As a musician...

Crazy Tonight is a remix. Mysterious Ways is a reworking. There's a large difference.

Mysterious Ways has parts added to it, but once they start playing the first verse, everything is the same as the album version musically until the end, additional solo. Edge's guitar is the same, Adam's bass is the same, and pretty much all of Larry's beat is the same.

Mysterious Ways live is not a remix.

Thank you. :drool:

None of which have anything to do with lyrics :lol:

Bullet the Blue Sky, Mothers of the Disappeared i can go on and on. I think you live in a silo. When did you become a U2 fan? post ATYCLB?

Bullet the Blue Sky, Mothers of the Disappeared i can go on and on. I think you live in a silo. When did you become a U2 fan? post ATYCLB?

Even so, how could you ignore some elements of Crumbs, Love and Peace, Peace on Earth.

Even so, how could you ignore some elements of Crumbs, Love and Peace, Peace on Earth.

Those songs are examples of "watered down" Bono. They are more broad laments than a criticism of a particular regime/ideology. SBS, Pride, Bullet, Mothers of the Disappeared, Ms Sarajevo, SATS, Please and other less obvious songs (like Seconds) tackle issues head-on.

Love and Peace, like Peace on Earth was so vague and non-targeted. The sentiments were essentially, "Be excellent to each other!" There was no danger of offending anyone.

Now, Bullet the Blue Sky? Seconds? MOTD? Silver and Gold? Pride? Sunday Bloody Sunday? New Years Day? Specific as all hell.

If Bono was writing songs this decade blatantly about Bin Laden.... that would be the equivalent.

Yeah, I know Walk On is supposedly about An Sung.... but I don't see that in the lyrics.

:lol:

I was just trying to get the original poster to think before posting.

Yes I agree BTBS and Mothers are good examples, although I wonder if Reagan or his supporters even got the references. But these are the only two that I can think of in U2's catalog that might "step on toes". Two out of how many? Not a very strong argument in my eyes.

Now the only other pointed song that I can think of was Silver and Gold, but it's about as vague as Crumbs.

Oh, I've been a fan since 88 btw :|

Those songs are examples of "watered down" Bono. They are more broad laments than a criticism of a particular regime/ideology. SBS, Pride, Bullet, Mothers of the Disappeared, Ms Sarajevo, SATS, Please and other less obvious songs (like Seconds) tackle issues head-on.

See this is exactly where your argument crumbles.

Please tackles head on more than Peace on Earth? How? POE list the names of a very specific event. Please with the exception of Catholic Blues and Nothern Star is pretty damn vague.

Who is Pride pointed to? Racists? Oh how daring...

Ms Sarajevo, it's very specific but not really stepping on anyone's toes.

I think this BVS character is under the impression he works for Bono as his cyber lawyer/PR lackey. Newsflash, buddy. Bono doesn't know you exist. He never will. Spending your days patrolling Interference "defending" Bono seems like such a waste of energy...

I think this BVS character is under the impression he works for Bono as his cyber lawyer/PR lackey. Newsflash, buddy. Bono doesn't know you exist. He never will. Spending your days patrolling Interference "defending" Bono seems like such a waste of energy...

But spending your days whining is a good use of energy? :doh:

Come on dude, if you can't have healthy debate then that's fine but you don't have to resort to personal attacks. Earlier you said I was hurling insults when I clearly wasn't, but you my friend have lowered yourself down to exactly what you accused me of earlier.

But spending your days whining is a good use of energy? :doh:

Come on dude, if you can't have healthy debate then that's fine but you don't have to resort to personal attacks. Earlier you said I was hurling insults when I clearly wasn't, but you my friend have lowered yourself down to exactly what you accused me of earlier.
Holy Moses! "Healthy debate" you say? If you (and anyone else) care to go back a few pages they can clearly see my responses to your posts directed at me were PERFECTLY CIVIL. It was you who decided to come out with the sark and the "Your *point* is BS" remark. I'm bored of this now. Kindly do not respond to my posts ever again. I hope I've made myself clear.

Back
Top Bottom