The Perfect Six

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Man, what's with everyone bagging on Stand Up Comedy? Sure, it's not the best track on the album, but I think it's awesome. Very different than anything U2 has done before.

i can agree with you, i didnt exactly like it at first but it grew on me. I like it now.

SUC is over-produced with bad lyrics and insane amounts of Bono on auto tune. It's the most processed, inorganic song they've ever put out. And I'm not even sure how this was possible, but they took what was supposed to be a hardcore Jimmy Page riff and still managed to turn the song into a Maroon 5 b-side. What should have been the most raw song they've ever done (see Paul McCartney's/Fireman's recent "Nothing Too Much Just Out of Sight") ended up being plastic and neutered. All that said, it's still not terrible. But lots of songs would have fit here better. Too bad Eno doesn't have the power of suggestion over them that he had in UF days, or otherwise they would have finished Winter and dropped SUC into hard drive purgatory.

Great opening on the first 4 songs, and the transition between UC and Crazy is getting better each time. The album drops a little with Suc/Boots, but picks up with the last 4 songs, very well sequenced tracklisting in the end.

For the first time since AB I love every traqck on this album. White as Snow mostly

Almost the same for me. Both AB and NLOTH have one weak track for me that I'll usually skip a lot (TTTYAATW, IGCIIDGCT). But it is the first time since AB that I love the second half of the album as much as the first half.

I have to say I'm very underwhelmed by "White As Snow" and "Ceders" of which I expected so much. Very dull and Bono's lyrics aren't that great; the "White As Snow" Americana crap pisses me off since Bono could have made this about a victim of US aggression instead of pandering to American nationalists. Ceders also has a pretentious ending about enemies and isn't at all about Lebanon or what Israel did and that travesty to justice is screaming for attention. But new U2 won't give it or defend the Muslim world beyond the most timid cheesy PC stuff. Pathetic.

Musically, I adore "No Line On the Horizon", though. Bono's vocals are definitely an improvement on this album, but White As Snow and Ceders are dull; White As Snow has such a conventional, self-consciously contemplative guitar line. Edge has really let the whole band down on this album. Daniel Lanois should be the new main guitarist.

I have to say I'm very underwhelmed by "White As Snow" and "Ceders" of which I expected so much. Very dull and Bono's lyrics aren't that great; the "White As Snow" Americana crap pisses me off since Bono could have made this about a victim of US aggression instead of pandering to American nationalists. Ceders also has a pretentious ending about enemies and isn't at all about Lebanon or what Israel did and that travesty to justice is screaming for attention. But new U2 won't give it or defend the Muslim world beyond the most timid cheesy PC stuff. Pathetic.

wow :|

I don't know, perhaps I'm mistaken but I see both, WAS and Cedars Of Lebanon as two songs talking about people trapped in conflicts, it's the personal factor what is emphasized.
In WAS I see a soldier who's dying, a victim of the conflict, it doesn't matter which part he was fighting for, he used to be a peaceful man shooting only stars and he has been drawn into this war, he can't understand why he's there as they are seen as enemies there when they're supposed to be liberating the citizens of this country.

In Cedars of Lebanon, I think the Palestinian conflict is only the background to the personal conflict of this journalist, it's a bitter reflection on human behaviour, at personal level he's got a broken relationship with a wife/lover, maybe a broken family, at political or perhaps sociological level he sees everything as a disaster that doesn't make sense, nevertheless that's where he wants to be, he prefers that rather than being home and facing his own enemies and fears, he also feels revolted by everything surrounding him and asks God where he is now (You're so high above me, higher than everyone
Where are you in the Cedars of Lebanon?).

I completely agree with you, these are purely about the individuals and nothing more, but Muldfeld will always look for and find a reason and if he can't find one make one up in order to call Bono pathetic, attack America, make some political statement or all of the above.

I completely agree with you, these are purely about the individuals and nothing more, but Muldfeld will always look for and find a reason and if he can't find one make one up in order to call Bono pathetic, attack America, make some political statement or all of the above.

Sorry, I don't know if you two have any problem, I just wanted to give my opinion on the songs, but as I said before, it's only my point of view and it can be discused, I don't want my words to be used in any other way. Of course I'm glad you agree with my interpretation, thank you.

It's the first five for me - They all flow beautifully, they are all as amazingly brilliant as each other. I think Crazy Tonight is the perfect end to "Side 1" and I love going from the intensity of UC to the sheer uplift of Crazy (And it still blows my mind that anyone could possibly dislike Unknow Caller!).

I love GOYB but its definitely the major break in the mood of the album which is why I think of it as the start of "side 2". I don't share the virulent hatred of Stand Up that some people seem to have but it's also part of the "interlude" before the album proper begins again. Then the run from Fez-Being Born through to Cedars approaches the heights of perfection once more. I personally would have preferred a trimmed and finished version of Winter in the place of Stand Up. I think it would have taken No Line beyond just being potentially the best of U2s career towards being one of the greatest records of all time...

Back
Top Bottom