The new songs news you've been waiting for...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ugh don't put it like that Headache! it sounds horrible! :yuck:

Do you honestly believe that the only person in the u2 camp who wants to make money is Paul McGuinness? Is that some sort of crutch that some U2 fans desperately need to hang on to to make them feel better about the oodles and oodles of money the band makes? As if Saint Bono of O'Connell Street, he who's a founding partner of a giant fuck hedge fund, doesn't know what a marketing strategy or tax shelter is?

It's no secret that ambition bites the nails of success.

Do you honestly believe that the only person in the u2 camp who wants to make money is Paul McGuinness? Is that some sort of crutch that some U2 fans desperately need to hang on to to make them feel better about the oodles and oodles of money the band makes? As if Saint Bono of O'Connell Street, he who's a founding partner of a giant fuck hedge fund, doesn't know what a marketing strategy or tax shelter is?
It's entirely possible that you are reading rather more into my post than was actually there.

In 11 years (and counting) we've had 2 albums. That's the bottom line, from my perspective. Tours are nice. Tours are fun, but the albums are what matter to me.

Wow, there's so much to comment on here I don't know where to start. You need to get with reality. First, U2 released ATYCLB in October of 2000, so that's 3 albums within 12 years. Second, U2 has toured extensively for each of those albums. Those tours usually run one to two years long. Tours are what make make an artist money. Touring is not always fun and glamorous. It can also be grueling and exhausting. Third, the members of U2 have... LIVES!! What a crazy concept! Having a life. Who da thunk? Yes, they do their side projects, but that is a part of their non-U2 time. Fourth, U2 are not in their 20's, 30's or even 40's anymore. They are dudes who are in their 50's and have different priorities in life. Like watching their kids grow up. Fifth, the days of artists releasing a new album every year are long over. Finally, U2 are unlike any artist you will see in your lifetime. They've been around for over 30 years with the same people in the group. No one has left and gone solo. No one has died. They've never broken up and gotten back together. The Beatles were only together for 8 years. Led Zeppelin were only together for 11. The Stones have been around for 50 years, but some band members have died, left the group or retired. Plus, their last album was in 2005. 7 whole years ago. Oh my lord! How dare they? I'm sure U2 will release another new album at some point, but life goes on in the meantime. Imagine that.

No, I don't think I need to "get with reality." The band is writing and recording albums and not releasing them. I haven't said anything more Earth shattering than essentially "that sucks." And yes, they have released 2 albums in the last 11 years. Also 3 in the last 12 or 4 in the last 16. Going further back doesn't invalidate the numbers.

Your numbers are skewed. You're saying they have only released 2 albums in 11 years. In reality, they have released 2 albums in the last 8 years. They didn't release an album in 2001. That was the year they were touring for ATYCLB. So, more accurately, they've released 2 albums within the last 8 years.

Your numbers are skewed. You're saying they have only released 2 albums in 11 years. In reality, they have released 2 albums in the last 8 years. They didn't release an album in 2001. That was the year they were touring for ATYCLB. So, more accurately, they've released 2 albums within the last 8 years.

You're being weird with math. Yes, they have released 2 albums in 8 years. They have also released only 2 albums in the last 11 years. They have also released 3 albums in the last 12 years and 3 albums in the last 14 years. Every single one of these statements is a simple and 100% true fact.

If you want to be overly optimistic and focus on getting 3 albums in 12 years instead of 2 in 11 or 3 in 14 that's your right. No one can tell you you're wrong. But they've also only released 2 albums in the last 11 years.

No, I don't think I need to "get with reality." The band is writing and recording albums and not releasing them.

So? are they obliged to release everything that they record? What if what they're recording sucks? Does anybody here really want an album full of 4 Glastonburys, 3 North Stars and 3 other songs? Probably not.

they'll release an album when they're ready to tour. they like to tour. you say that the tours don't matter to you, well, you picked a strange band to follow then because the tours seem to be what matter most to U2. we'll see an album 11 months from now, and we'll see a tour 14-15 moths from now.

I cant wait until I see Bono's hair length when they announce the new album. Then madness and speculation will take over as to what sound the album will have if its short versus long.

So? are they obliged to release everything that they record? What if what they're recording sucks? Does anybody here really want an album full of 4 Glastonburys, 3 North Stars and 3 other songs? Probably not.

they'll release an album when they're ready to tour. they like to tour. you say that the tours don't matter to you, well, you picked a strange band to follow then because the tours seem to be what matter most to U2. we'll see an album 11 months from now, and we'll see a tour 14-15 moths from now.

I "picked" the best band in the world. Let's hope they have a few more albums in them they want to share.

EDIT: And yes, I'd take a Glastonbury and North Star-esque album over no album. It wouldn't be their best album, but it might have a shot at being better than ATYCLB! ;)

Well, so much for U2 being U2. An album of Glastonburys and North Stars sounds like U2 being Coldplay. Might as well follow them because they at least release more frequently.

I for one would prefer no album at all if it's going to be in the vein of Glastonbury & North Star.

However if it has songs like Return of the Stingray Guitar, Soon, Every Breaking Wave & Boy Falls From The Sky, count me on board!

heh i was joking... no-one hates Glastonbury more than i do! ;)

i like Stingray, EBW and North Star though (but could do without BFFTS)

It's been eleven years since 2001. Since then, they've toured and/or released albums in 2004, 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010, and 2011. That's six years of out eleven - a majority. If this range dates is 2001 inclusive, then it's seven out of twelve. They also released a little bit of new music in 2002.

I understand the frustration of having nothing to discuss now. But I think yours is an unfair characterization of their activity.

:shh:

There's the two Best ofs (with 4 new songs), EP with Mercy and the LP release of Soon. Spiderman soundtrack from the two songwriters. The premieres of Glastonbury/Every breaking wave/Mercy/Stingray/North Star/Boy falls from the sky in 2010. And the ATYCLB/Bomb outtakes from the Complete U2 digital release.

Vertigo and 360 took longer due to well known reasons.

Very good point, I think I'd prefer it if they retired rather than have an album like that!

They should release "Glastonbury" as the lead single from the new album and then call their tour "The Glastonbury Festival".

Back
Top Bottom