The new album can be a new important U2 album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Peterrrrr

New Yorker
I think it was the last time did it was with Zooropa and the other are

Boy
Well the first album a always important for a gorup/artist.

Uf
Well this one is where they did a big step in a new direction, the sound landscapes where amazing, soundscapes that contnuie on JT. Uf must be one most important album they have done and one of the most underrated togheter with Zooropa.

Ab
They had to break up with they 80's, and they realy took a chance.

Zooropa
Their bravest album, and one of the their best. I always liked it, but it gets better and better for each time you listen to it.

The band are now talking about doing a different thing and that they might have to leave the rock thing. Bono also talks about use his voice morein the songs.

I don't think the new one will be the last key to a trilogy with ATYCLB and HTDAAB. It looks like it will not be a trilogy this time.

Maybe will see a more creative and experiment side of them again, no safe songs album like the two latest.

I bloody well hope so.

I also have a hunch that they may make an attempt to shake off any similarity to the last two albums by releasing this one earlier, rather than say, quarter 4 next year, which most of us seem to be expecting.

Last edited:
Peterrrrr said:

I don't think the new one will be the last key to a trilogy with ATYCLB and HTDAAB. It looks like it will not be a trilogy this time.

Exactly, I guess the new album will bring an end to the whole trilogy-idea some people have.

I never saw U2 albums in trilogies, anyway. For some reason, people see Pop as an obvious extension of Achtung Baby and Zooropa, whereas I see Pop more as a precurser to ATYCLB if anything. To me, Pop represents a different style of songwriting for U2. Much more pre-set than the previous two albums, and this is something U2 took to ATYCLB and Bomb. Perhaps the strongest case for a trilogy could be made for October through War, but even War sounds completely different. Boy and October seem more like sister albums. I think if anything they come in pairs. Same with UF and JT, and same with AB and Zooropa. Then there are a couple albums that don't even really belong in any set, such as Rattle and Hum (though I do see some of AB in it - ie, 'God Part II'). And even though Pop through Bomb represent a different style of songwriting, that alone doesn't make a trilogy for me. Once again, Pop seems to be the odd one out along with War and R&H. But one thing is certain: all U2 albums set up the direction and sound for the following album. There is a continuity from one to the next....just not in an obvious, "trilogy" sort of way.

Boy - October

War

UF - JT

R&H

AB - Zooropa

Pop

ATYCLB - Bomb

New album

So according to the pattern, it looks as though we are due for another different sort of U2 album that doesn't really fit with the rest in any obvious sort of way. That is pretty cool if true!

:ohmy:

Michael Griffiths!!!!!

:shock:

:wave:

to respond to the post-----yes, if this one does end up with a good-sized arabic influence, then we will indeed get a new genre of U2. And, most importantly, just about each album that is their first in a new genre is fantastic. Woo-hoo!

Michael Griffiths said:
There is a continuity from one to the next....just not in an obvious, "trilogy" sort of way.

Boy - October

War

UF - JT

R&H

AB - Zooropa

Pop

ATYCLB - Bomb

New album

So according to the pattern, it looks as though we are due for another different sort of U2 album that doesn't really fit with the rest in any obvious sort of way. That is pretty cool if true!

I think you're on to something there MG. :yes:

and TSP, I hope you're right.:up:

Re: Re: The new album can be a new important U2 album

BANZAI said:

Exactly, I guess the new album will bring an end to the whole trilogy-idea some people have.
Bomb was the last of their mid-life crisis trilogy (Pop, Atycl, Bomb) :yes:

I think that the trilogy (so far) still works, although it's also true that one out of the three usually is different a bit.

Boy, October - (War a more polished sound from the predecessors)

UF - a change (and American music on JT and even more Rattle and Hum)

AB - a change (and Zooropa and Pop are more similar in sound and themes)

ATYCLB - a change (Bomb is a more guitar based sound, with a lot of similar themes) "album 2008" might be different but I'm not sure it's time yet for the reinvention.

Where does Passengers fit in this ?

I too have long lumped Pop in with ATYCLB and HTDABB, because of the songwriting style. Pop has the best lyrics and music of the three though, IMO. Things got worse as they went. Hopefully the next album will show a recovery.

In my humble opinion ATYCLB and HTDAAB are great albums,but its time for a change in style. But i do hope there are some killer guitars from edge in there!

I never understood why people lump Unforgettable Fire in with Joshua Tree/Rattle and Hum as a trilogy. The other 2 "trilogies" I can see, but I've always considered JT and RH as a duo, and UF really just stands on it's own. Great album.

If one is to lump Rattle and Hum as an end to a trilogy involving UF and JT, than Passengers should have capped off the trilogy of AB and Zooropa.

In fact, Passengers, although a psuedonym, was more of a real U2 album than R&H. R & H was only half original studio cuts, half live.

U2 need to really up their game with this next album or they will lose their stronghold. It is a general consensus among pretty much everybody that HTDAAB is a good collection of songs, but is an overall average album. If they make ATYCLB III with this new album, I'm afraid it will greatly backfire on them. They've already had 2 popular albums in a row, and everything has gone their way. I'm afraid that the media might be gearing up for another U2 backlash. At this point in their career, something like that would KILL them.

The only hope for U2 is for them to first of all release a first single that is unique for U2, catchy as hell, pull in new fans while satisfying the old fans. Go on ALL the major TV and Radio shows and promote this single. Then, release the album, which will have more depth than the initial single, and be unlike anything ever heard before. That is the ONLY way that U2 will be a success next time around.

And then, COME TO COLUMBUS ON THE 2009 TOUR DAMMIT!!!

The_acrobat said:
It is a general consensus among pretty much everybody that HTDAAB is a good collection of songs, but is an overall average album.

I don't think that is true at all. Just look at all the reviews for HTDAAB when it came out. Look at the awards it received, the album sales etc. It maybe disliked by a vocal minority on this site but in the real world it was very well received and still very highly rated.

Griff, great new view into the album cycles of U2. I, for one, still see the U2 triology theory, but I also see album pairings too...interesting...:hmm:

Again ATYCLB and HTDAAB will lead into a new album that will be similar to, but nothing like the last two albums...hence completing the triology...:yes:

Re: Re: The new album can be a new important U2 album

BANZAI said:

I hope it does.

Despite what some think, the trilogy thing is legit though. U2 has always done whatever they wanted, and I think they're just getting tired of their "new" direction sooner than usual.

Again, I really don't care what direction they take, as long as the songs they write are good. HTDAAB may not have been greater than the sum of its parts, but its parts were pretty damn great.

I was buying into the trilogy idea until the latest comments about a "new direction," and all the Arabic influences. It would make logical sense to make this the third part of a trilogy, and wind up the 00s that way.

On the other hand, it's probably been almost 10 years since they first started working on ATYCLB, don't you think? And that would mean this U2 Nouveau period has been going on for a while. I wouldn't blame them if they wanted a change.

I'd like to hear something really atmospheric & minus songs like Vertigo or All Because of You, with more like Electrical Storm or The Ground Beneath Her Feet & some instrumentals.

Yeah, I think the next album HAS to be an important U2 record. I think that the band understands that they can't skate by a third time by merely refuting Pop again.

If Vertigo hadn't hit (and been pushed on us from every corner - and those virulent ipod ads), Bomb could've been considered a let-down commercially (in the USA anyway). The other singles sank like stones.

OK, the world gets it: Best band in the world. Now let's get some worthy tunes. Another plain-jane rock album and the world just might . . . yawn.

ahittle said:

If Vertigo hadn't hit (and been pushed on us from every corner - and those virulent ipod ads), Bomb could've been considered a let-down commercially (in the USA anyway). The other singles sank like stones.

OK, the world gets it: Best band in the world. Now let's get some worthy tunes. Another plain-jane rock album and the world just might . . . yawn.

ATYCLB had a big single in BD, but every song after that was a dud. A few songs had decent runs on the Adult stations, just like Bomb's songs.

U2 just need to make music like they have always done, the rest comes alone. there are still many talking about this album is better than this, this album isn't worth that other album and so on. U2 never missed a shot in 30 years, they have done everything, from rock to blues, from electronic, to dance, soul music and maybe even classical. It 's clear they will always produce good music. What really counts, is to make great live performances.

It's funny because the name of this thread is a new album can be a new important U2 album. Well, duh, of course, EVERY U2 album is an important album. I think they teach that in like U2 101 class or something.
What's also funny is that I never really looked at U2 albums as trilogies, but rather eras instead. Eras of U2's maturation as a band as well as men.

Era Number 1- Boy/October/War/Under a Blood Red Sky

Era Number 2- Unforgettable Fire/Wide Awake in America/Joshua Tree/Rattle and Hum

Era Number 3- Achtung Baby/Zooropa/Passengers/POP!

Era Number 4- Best of 80-90/All That You Can't Leave Behind/Best of 90-00/How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb/U218 Singles

It looks like Era Number 4 might've featured a more marketed version of U2. I mean, you've got 3 compilations within 8 years. But, we all now how record companies want all the bang they can get for their buck. Lol!

So, indeed, the next new U2 album could be the start of a new era. But, to U2 fans, they are all kind of important. That's sort of a given there. See ya next year when the new album comes out.

the new album is their last chance to avoid becoming another teethless combo like e.g. the rolling stones.

jacobus said:
the new album is their last chance to avoid becoming another teethless combo like e.g. the rolling stones.

I don't if you heard, but U2 and the Stones are Hall of Famers. They don't need a last chance for anything.

jacobus said:

I think you're right. They are different bands, to be sure. But U2 has always worn artistic integrity and even critical acceptance on their sleeves (R&H fallout sent them scurrying). The Stones have an amazing canon of tunes, but I doubt they labor over their current standing and defending their rock and roll honor. They just crank it up and rake it in. And they have had some bright spots in the last 25 years, but if they release a dud, they just move on.

I've enjoyed the last couple records pretty well, but like Bono says, "Two crap albums and you're out." I think they are aware when they don't hit the mark. Of couse, they only admit it after the fact.

I always grouped them like this:

Boy/October/War

Unforgettable Fire/Joshua Tree/Rattle and Hum

Achtung Baby/Zooropa/Passangers

Pop

AYCLB/Bomb

I guess you could take away passangers. So In my mind it seems they started with trilogies and then went more towards pairs. At least I hope so.

The next album better not suck. mean, U2 said two crap albums in a row and they'll be over with. I don't want their next album to be their last.

Last edited:
I'll also add that until I actually hear these alleged foreign influences I won't believe we'll hear any. U2's next album will sound just like ATYCLB and Bomb as far as I'm concerned.

MrPryck2U said:

I don't if you heard, but U2 and the Stones are Hall of Famers. They don't need a last chance for anything.

This means absolutely nothing. Being Hall of Famers means not that every noise you make is such a masterpiece. If you do bad songs I will never appreciate you just because you're in the hall of fame. In music you have to prove to yourself and to the others that you're always able to make great songs, from a technical point of view, from an emotional point of view, melodic and so on. In music you always have a last chance, if you sleep on clouds just because you're a hall of famer, then you have nothing to do with music anymore. Music is a constantly rising ART, if you call yourself ARTIST, you have to be on the right wave with this word, ALWAYS. Never diminish this.

U2 and RS being Hall Of Famers means they have nothing to prove and that they are just making records because they can, not because this is their "last chance".

Back
Top Bottom