The Miracle (of Joey Ramone) - Song Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
"and we were pilgrims on our way............."

I can get past the gap between the pre-chorus and chorus. I find this such an odd choice for the song's arrangement.

it's so flat, only Edge's "dooey dooey doo" guitar part to bridge the chasm. He's started to do a little bit more with this live, but it still leaves me wanting. The song picks up momentum with the "I was young, not dumb.." lead in, and then... falls apart

why do you think they made the choice to play this transition so meekly?

"and we were pilgrims on our way............."

I can get past the gap between the pre-chorus and chorus. I find this such an odd choice for the song's arrangement.

it's so flat, only Edge's "dooey dooey doo" guitar part to bridge the chasm. He's started to do a little bit more with this live, but it still leaves me wanting. The song picks up momentum with the "I was young, not dumb.." lead in, and then... falls apart

why do you think they made the choice to play this transition so meekly?

I think it sounds a bit 'off' because it's a key change moving the song from the verse into the chorus. First time i heard it (at the apple announcement thing) it kind of threw me, though i get the idea behind it - i assume it's meant to be a kind of sudden drop-off, to emphasise the big loud chorus (it ends up not working for me live for reasons i've mentioned before, mainly that i don't think Edge's guitar is powerful enough in the chorus, making it sound kind of weak and deflating).

I found this cool 'karaoke' cover of the tune on youtube, and i really like how they dealt with this section of the song (at 1:40). They do a great job of dropping everything away except the guitar and the hand claps, and it sounds so intentional that it comes off as quite powerful to me. in fact, the emphasis on the hand claps makes it sound much more like a Danger Mouse-heavy track, almost like a Gorillaz tune or something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gq1nVT8iZ6E

The way u2's been doing it live is still a bit too disjointed for me (i think because Adam's bass remains in the song. If he cut out right at 'pilgrims', made it more like the above cover, it could sound cool).

Back
Top Bottom