The Miracle (of Joey Ramone) - Song Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Severely underwhelmed by this one, unfortunately. I'm assuming it will grow on me, though.

I really love the parts other than the chorus. The "i was young not dumb" part is already a classic hook, but uggh that sentimental chorus...and it's the first single! Why?!

This def took me by surprise when they took to the stage with this one. I knew they'd use that popular "chanting" style vocal that everyone is using, lately; but the guitar and driving beat were delightfully fresh for U2. The chorus is another story; maybe I'll get used to it. I hate to already start this discussion, but it would not have been my choice for lead single; makes a decent album-opener, though.

Love the intro and especially when the drums kick in. The rest of the song is alright, but it doesn't appeal to me that much compared to other tracks on the album. A decent opener though.

This song reminds me of that famous saying "Kill Your Darlings." I feel like this song survived its way to the opening track solely based on U2 or Bono's desire to express to the world how much The Ramones mean to them. Only problem is that the entire song doesn't quite hold together, and judging by how precise and concise most of the other songs on the album are, I wager that this song exists purely for the subject matter, the need to tell everyone what moved them at an early age to serve the story of innocence they are trying to tell. But, with more discriminating ears, I think they would've been able to step back from it and say "it's not good enough for a lead single, or maybe even as an album opener." It needed work on that chorus. Granted, some parts are exciting, but that chorus sounds to me like just a way to get some message across first, with the melody being secondary to the lyrics.

That's an interesting take. I wonder how we'd all feel right now if all we had gotten was this today?

I didn't like the live performance, but it's better on the album. I think it's still my least favorite of the new songs.

This song is already out to a good lead in the race for the Worst Title of a U2 Song Cup.

Favorite song on the new record, er album, er iCloud download? Damn I'm old, but feels kind of good to be back here.

Been a while...

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

I really like this song, in spite of the questionable title. And I've figured out why: it's because the sort of feelings that Bono describes having towards The Ramones when he was a teenager are rather similar to those which I had towards U2 as a teenager.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I really like this song, in spite of the questionable title. And I've figured out why: it's because the sort of feelings that Bono describes having towards The Ramones when he was a teenager are rather similar to those which I had towards U2 as a teenager.

Exactly. Which is why I'd love to see this song take off. This isn't a complex or confusing song. It's about hearing a certain singer or band and realizing that their music is about to change your life. We all have an artist like that.

Album version > Apple Event live version, by far.

I like it, but I wasn't that impressed upon initial listening. It will grow on me.

The whoahs and the the verse melody and vocal delivery remind me of 30 Seconds To Mars. And they can only improve the live performance after what we saw today. Not terrible, but as far as album openers, it's no Vertigo or Boots.

The whoahs and the the verse melody and vocal delivery remind me of 30 Seconds To Mars. And they can only improve the live performance after what we saw today. Not terrible, but as far as album openers, it's no Vertigo or Boots.

I thought that maybe most would think this crushes Boots altogether, but maybe I'm wrong?

I'm still digging the song, but it still sounds like something's missing from making this reach an epic level. Either way, Edge definitely brought the rock sound to the proceedings though.

This is Larry's band! Interesting place Bono is singing from, a New York City boy, haven't heard character in his voice like this before. But not enough, hope to hear more of this in later releases.

Last edited:
it's because the sort of feelings that Bono describes having towards The Ramones when he was a teenager are rather similar to those which I had towards U2 as a teenager.

Right on!

Love it. Very crunchy guitar! Very captain crunch indeed. An immediate embracing single. Not BD. Maybe Not Vertigo. But puts Boots to shame as a single. I still like Boots, but it's no single.

love it, love the crunchy guitars, nice one to bounce back with

the aaaaooooh's are catchy, but i still don't know how i feel about this as a single. definitely growing on me as an album opener tho.

Back
Top Bottom