The Little Things That Give You Away - Appreciation Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

danm

The Fly
If any song from SOE deserves its own thread, it’s this one in my opinion.

This could really turn into an all time U2 classic and is currently one of the standout songs from the album.

I love the build up to the end of the song. It’s one of those epic U2 moments.

This is a U2 classic.

Honestly, the build up is old school U2 magic, and something those who have lost the band in the last few years have been lamenting.

This is a U2 classic.

Honestly, the build up is old school U2 magic, and something those who have lost the band in the last few years have been lamenting.
That's me. And you're right. If I had to pick, I'd tell Bono to shut up just a touch at the end there, let the band do their thing. And I'd tell Edge to extend that final soaring guitar into something akin to the 'hear me coming' section on live One.
But it's epic. A lyrically heavy, full band ambient epic.

That's me. And you're right. If I had to pick, I'd tell Bono to shut up just a touch at the end there, let the band do their thing. And I'd tell Edge to extend that final soaring guitar into something akin to the 'hear me coming' section on live One.

I’ll also say I fucking love they kept the Kimmel lyrics for the ending. WAAAAYYYY better to finish it on

“...but I can’t see (you) through the tears”

Exactly. A fantastic song, but I keep wanting to hear Edge go up one or two octaves at the end, like the live versions of One or Please. Still, the buildup is great.

This is a U2 classic.

I never thought they'd make anything that raw and intense again. This is one of their big songs.

Favorite song on the album by far, and it might actually cracked my top 10 or 15 U2 songs. It’s absolutely perfect. Just a joy that they can make a sound like this when they’re close to 60 years old

I get choked up just thinking about this song. It is nearly perfect. I don't think any of their songs have touched me like this since the 90s.

Really good song.

What's the last lyrics by the way?

"When the ???? shatters (shadows?)
And you're the only thing that matters
But I can't see you through the tears"

I get choked up just thinking about this song. It is nearly perfect. I don't think any of their songs have touched me like this since the 90s.

I'm getting choked up reading all these posts. I can't wait to hear it. Soaring and ambient U2 is back. I'm so thrilled by all of the positive feedback for the whole album.

I enjoyed the live version, I love the album version. I think it may not get the appreciation it deserves, only because it sits along side so many other great songs on this album.

As a 45 year old man who thinks I am doing right by those I love but wonders if I have presented the best me possible, knows I have flaws to correct and maybe not as much time to do so as I want?

The outro slays me...absolutely slays. It's like he crawled into my head.

I really, really love the distant guitar and ambience that accompanies the drums at the very beginning. That and, uh, pretty much everything else about it. Couldn't really have asked for a better studio version.

I like that it has a little more urgency building throughout the song, rather than it just kicking in toward the last section in the live version.

The Little Things gets me all choked up when I listen to it now, I can only imagine I'll be a blubbering mess if/when I hear it on tour. Could say the same for a lot of these songs. Very powerful stuff.

I think I can best sum it up as follows:

The Little Things That Give You Away is to Songs of Experience as Bad is to The Unforgettable Fire

I like that it has a little more urgency building throughout the song, rather than it just kicking in toward the last section in the live version.

Yep. There' so much teasing going on in this recording, whether it's the first incomplete chorus or Edge riffing like he's about to take off before dropping out.

Also, there's a lot to be said for Bono sticking to a firm vocal melody. Makes each note feel more deliberate and worth more attention than the way he sometimes throws notes away live.

That, and some guitar in the first half, were what I was hoping the album version would provide. Though I didn't expect it.
Probably why I reacted so strongly to it. It's like they got out of their own way and just let the song run. They haven't done such things since Million Dollar Hotel.
I really thought only Eno could counsel this sort of stuff out of them.

When I first heard this song, I really wasn't expecting it to be the standout on the album. (Not that I'm complaining.)

The live version didnt do much for me. There was this slow build through the first half of the song that never amounted to anything, then it came to a dead stop in the middle before repeating the same thing all over again for the second half. It just didnt flow very well.

The studio version, on the other hand, is transcendant. Fleshing out the start a little more improved the flow, theres the bubbling synths at the start, the guitar at the end, that moment when Edge comes in to harmonise the "sometimes," everything about it is perfect.This song alone justified making an album. Absolute masterpiece.

Last edited:
Little Things is the biggest thing of the SOE. Simply breathtakingly beautiful. U2 should concentrate now making an album full of these beauty ( and letting go the thoughts of chart success and all those bullshit ).

How has the general reception been to Little Things when played live? I imagine not great, considering it's a slow song played at the end of the show and people don't know it.

Little Things is the biggest thing of the SOE. Simply breathtakingly beautiful. U2 should concentrate now making an album full of these beauty ( and letting go the thoughts of chart success and all those bullshit ).

Forget relevancy, chase eternity.

How has the general reception been to Little Things when played live? I imagine not great, considering it's a slow song played at the end of the show and people don't know it.
They should never have played a new song like that as the last song of the night, regardless of how good it was (and it was and continues to be great). If everyone had to stay in their seats until the last song it might be a little different, but it was distracting seeing so many people leaving trying to beat the traffic.

Back
Top Bottom