The "I just don't get the hype with Magnificent" coping thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kawai17

The Fly
Seriously I've tried. Don't get me wrong... I love many songs on this album. Hell, I even really like Boots still. I also REALLY want to like this song. I even went into my first listen with low expectations because I knew the hype I was reading on these forums were setting my expectations too high.

But, I just don't get what everyone is hearing in Magnificent that I'm not. Did I get the right copy of the song? The Depeche Mode beginning is cheesy, the synth in the background irritates me, the lyrics aren't that interesting, and it just drags on and on... the first song that this reminded me of was A Man and a Woman :doh:

Anyone else having this problem? We can cope together.

no It's just you...i suggest listening to some coldplay, that should reboot your senses. Then try Magnificent again.

You just reminded me how long has been since the last time I've heard AMAAW. :lol:

It's like a chick flick ...pretend you love it! actually I like it and I am a guy :lol:

For the record, I think Breathe is the best song they've released this decade, but I think Magnificent is their finest attempt at a U2 anthem, excepting Beautiful Day.

I think Magnificent is their finest attempt at a U2 anthem.

Nah, Magnificent is awesome, but Unkown Caller beats the hell out of it in every possible aspect. That's how great it is. :heart: :hyper: :love: :ohmy: :up:

you need new ears

beautiful day sounds like elvis presley and america when compared to magnificent.

As I said before the rest of the album could be morse code and still be worthy with the inclusion of this song. (Gotta love the blondie disco beat in the middle 8 as well :wink:)

Nah, Magnificent is awesome, but Unkown Caller beats the hell out of it in every possible aspect. That's how great it is. :heart: :hyper: :love: :ohmy: :up:

Unknown Caller kind of sucks. It has some great moments, especially the last minute and a half or so, but the verses are kind of a dirge. When people call NLOTH boring, this is the song I blame. Maybe it will get better for me in CD quality, where the sonic power of the track can shine through.

Fully respect your opinion, of course. Like the masses, I think it's epic. We all know double entendre or more applies to most U2 lyrics, but taken from a Christian perspective, they are magnificent; a big reason I love it so much. Hopefully there are some other songs on the album that do it for you as there are many to choose from! Cheers!

Unknown Caller kind of sucks. It has some great moments, especially the last minute and a half or so, but the verses are kind of a dirge. When people call NLOTH boring, this is the song I blame. Maybe it will get better for me in CD quality, where the sonic power of the track can shine through.

<3

I can't get past the chanting part.

you need new ears

elvis presley and america sounds like beautiful day when compared to magnificent.

Fixed. And that's a great compliment imo.

Unknown Caller kind of sucks. It has some great moments, especially the last minute and a half or so, but the verses are kind of a dirge. When people call NLOTH boring, this is the song I blame. Maybe it will get better for me in CD quality.

:ohmy:
:tsk:
:wink:
Really? Well, you can't please everyone, but it's been a really long time since I've heard so many good things in the same song. It's perfect imo. It sits right up there with Levitate, HMTMKMKM, Elevation and others as my U2 classic and favorite songs.
Bono's vocals and the chorus are the best things, btw.
And maybe it's my crappy headphones, but it sounds a lot better on the speakers. (Yes, I have awesome speakers connected to the pc before you use an :huh: smiley. :wink:)

Fixed. And that's a great compliment imo.

Really? Well, you can't please everyone, but it's been a really long time since I've heard so many good things in the same song. It's perfect imo. It sits right up there with Levitate, HMTMKMKM, Elevation and others as my U2 classic and favorite songs.

hahahahaha i argree with your post but elevation....a classic:lol:.....to each his own i guess:wink:

all I can say is.... SUCKS TO BE YOU DUDE!!!!

And maybe it's my crappy headphones, but it sounds a lot better on the speakers. (Yes, I have awesome speakers connected to the pc before you use an :huh: smiley. :wink:)

Keep in mind, I was looking forward to Unknown Caller more than any other song except possibly Breathe. One delivered big time, the other didn't IMO.

UC has received a healthy blend of praise and criticism, and I can't really blame you for liking it. Obviously, people are seeing something good in it. Personally, I suspect the only reason I can stomach it is because I'm in such high spirits after those first three tracks.

I think it's a good song, but it hasn't hit me yet. I look forward to when it will! But I'm SURE it isn't as good as the song before it, or the song after it....

It isn't that I HATE this song...I like it...but I don't think its the best song on NLOTH...spank me

Back
Top Bottom