The "I just don't get the hype with Magnificent" coping thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I can't really get myself to love 'Magnificent.' I'm certainly trying, but I just want to go and listen to MOS.

^take your time and enjoy magnificent for what it is MOS will still be waiting for you at the end

I think it's the greatest song they've released in this decade.

:up:

One of the greatest songs they've ever released.

I listened to the album last night, and when Magnificent started, my heart rate just went up. This song makes me so happy, it's hard to control myself when hearing it. I want to play it to everyone I know, even (and most of all) those who are not into U2.

There's nothing in the song I don't like.

Magnificent :heart:

:up:

One of the greatest songs they've ever released.

I listened to the album last night, and when Magnificent started, my heart rate just went up. This song makes me so happy, it's hard to control myself when hearing it. I want to play it to everyone I know, even (and most of all) those who are not into U2.

There's nothing in the song I don't like.

Magnificent :heart:

easily the best song of the record. I LOVE THIS TRACK!:drool:

Actually, what bothers me about it is the title. You know you're tugging yourself pretty hard when you call a song "Magnificent". But, whatever - I'm sure I'll get into it. It's in my top half of the album already.

Not so fast my friend...

fast? it is 10 in the morning lol

it IS the best track and the only one comming close to a classic. I have played this record more than HTDAAB allready and it hasnt even been officiale released yet by the way:wink:

I think UC will be in the "greatest" when all is said and done. When I hear it it's like hearing ISHFWILF for the first time...talk me down.:D

Ringing guitar in the distance at the beginning and near the end-- background noise, almost like a metaphor for the call to prayer while staying in the riad @ Fez - CHECK
Bono singing about his mother who died far too young - CHECK
Most Non-U2 sounding intro using the synth - CHECK
Edge sounding like hes on fire; making the people who think hes lost it since the Joshua Tree shut the fuck up - CHECK
Minimalist/Abstract Lyrics which say so much - CHECK
Adam and Larry kicking ass - CHECK FUCKING MATE

:love:

An aside: This album is far more of a group effort than the previous few albums. Edge's Guitar and Bono's vocals were enough in the previous ones, but in this one, much like in Pop, its about the whole 4 piece band and the layers on top of the song. I get the feeling that some people who aren't getting the album might need to get a better sound system/headphones because this album is more dynamic than HTDAAB and you lose a lot without having output that can produce the bass properly.

Great post = Check

Ringing guitar in the distance at the beginning and near the end-- background noise, almost like a metaphor for the call to prayer while staying in the riad @ Fez - CHECK
Bono singing about his mother who died far too young - CHECK
Most Non-U2 sounding intro using the synth - CHECK
Edge sounding like hes on fire; making the people who think hes lost it since the Joshua Tree shut the fuck up - CHECK
Minimalist/Abstract Lyrics which say so much - CHECK
Adam and Larry kicking ass - CHECK FUCKING MATE

:love:

An aside: This album is far more of a group effort than the previous few albums. Edge's Guitar and Bono's vocals were enough in the previous ones, but in this one, much like in Pop, its about the whole 4 piece band and the layers on top of the song. I get the feeling that some people who aren't getting the album might need to get a better sound system/headphones because this album is more dynamic than HTDAAB and you lose a lot without having output that can produce the bass properly.

:laugh:

Brilliant post mate!

Magnificent is awesome.
And agree with the quoted post. On all counts.
And can I add...

Thumping beat that the entire stadium will jump in time to aka Streets: check

Tip for those that aren't 'getting it' yet: picture yourself in the middle of a stadium, filled with 80,000 U2 fans, screaming the Oh Oh bit before the chorus, then BANG

'ONLY LOVE...'

- everyone howling the chorus at their loudest, most ecstatic, jumping, screaming, Edge cutting through it all with THAT sound....

BUT... :hmm:

I just don't think it's the best song on the album. That's how amazing this album is, to me, right now, having heard it at least 30 times and having been a fan since 87.

I LOVE Magnificent!
I just love MOS, UC and Breathe more.
And parts of Being Born.
Fuck it, I don't know, great song, great album, it's U2, what else can you say

Actually, not the biggest fan of Magnificent either. Have only heard it three times but it has not really done anything for me so far... Obv I will give it more of a chance but as for right now songs like MOS, NLOTH, SUC and even UC have made much more of an impact on me.

It isn't that I HATE this song...I like it...but I don't think its the best song on NLOTH...spank me

that's how i feel too. i really do like the song, but i'm not as crazed about it as i am about Moment Of Surrender, Fez-Being Born, or Unknown Caller.

I think UC will be in the "greatest" when all is said and done. When I hear it it's like hearing ISHFWILF for the first time...talk me down.:D

As the original poster has a hard time seeing the greatness of Magnificent, I'm that way with UC. I don't get why everyone else seems to like it so much. The "oh oh oh ohhhhh" chorus with everyone and their brother singing just doesn't work for me...

Actually, what bothers me about it is the title. You know you're tugging yourself pretty hard when you call a song "Magnificent". But, whatever - I'm sure I'll get into it. It's in my top half of the album already.

Yeah, the title is really the one thing that bothers me about the song.

Back
Top Bottom