The 'I didn't expect the album to be this great' thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just heard it on MySpace.

This is the first time I've been blown away listening to an album for a real long time (last one was In Rainbows by Radiohead in 2007) NLOTH blew that out of the water. This is just beyond unreal.

:drool:

Break down:
5/5: No Line On The Horizon, Magnificent, Moment Of Surrender, Unknown Caller, I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight, Stand Up Comedy, White As Snow, Breathe
4/5: Fez-Being Born
1/5: Get On Your Boots (Of course, Get On Your Boots had to be on an album it simply doesn't belong on.)

Fourth Masterpiece? Hell yeah.
I don't agree with you on Boots - this is a great track. And even better listening to it on the album with all the other tracks. So much energy in it.

A lot of people say they prefer Boots now that they hear it amongst the other tracks, maybe you will become one of them who knows - but you are entitled to love or hate what you like.

I liked Boots immediately though - still do.

Total shock. Day 2 with bomb i was skipping a few tracks, that isnt the case with Horizon.

thats tue. BOMB was a skipping through the album, record. a bunch of songs rather than a complete album.

i´m listening NLOTH in a full playlist starting with coldplay viva la vida, then NLOTH and at last comes the new kings of leon one. and i just can say, these playlist fit really good. love it. great music from 3 great bands.

I don't agree with you on Boots - this is a great track. And even better listening to it on the album with all the other tracks. So much energy in it.

A lot of people say they prefer Boots now that they hear it amongst the other tracks, maybe you will become one of them who knows - but you are entitled to love or hate what you like.

I liked Boots immediately though - still do.

it totally fits into the album.

is this all legal?

im just wondering if there wasnt the official release yet, where do we all get the album from so we could do reviews of it? Is it legal to get it from the torrent world?

This album is the knockout blow to all the haters out there. To put down this album is to reveal ones lack of musical intelligence. It's is truely brilliant and at this stage of the band's career, simply incredible. I am indeed privilidged to have loved U2's music over the last 25 years. Walk tall fellow U2 fans, heads up high, stick out your chest for we have been gifted something to be very proud of. Peace.

All I dared expect in moments of cautious optimism was that U2 might do an album a bit better than HTDAAB. I never expected something as good as this - the creativity and cohesion of this album has exceeded my expectations by a substantial distance. I actually feel like this has restored my love of the band. This is the U2 I love, not whoever put out the last two albums. For instance, the return to poetic storytelling in White As Snow and Cedars has me overjoyed, while the sprawling soundscapes and evocative lyrics of Fez and MOS are enthralling. Parts of this album sound like The Unforgettable Fire put through the Passengers machine.

Hell yes.

im just wondering if there wasnt the official release yet, where do we all get the album from so we could do reviews of it? Is it legal to get it from the torrent world?

it is NOT legal. but there is also a common sense in the media...because nobody get a copy BEFORE the release to listen. so ALL of them download it from torrent sites etc. thats a fact. there are so many reviews out there now, and the album isn´t released yet. but the internet is full of reviews and 99% are taken from the leak.

and the ironic thing is that it was the fault of the record company.

it is NOT legal. but there is also a common sense in the media...because nobody get a copy BEFORE the release to listen. so ALL of them download it from torrent sites etc. thats a fact. there are so many reviews out there now, and the album isn´t released yet. but the internet is full of reviews and 99% are taken from the leak.

and the ironic thing is that it was the fault of the record company.

exactly what i thought...

cheers man.

happy listening!

I didn't listen to NLOTH until today when it began streaming on MySpace, so this may be a bit premature, but this album way exceeds my expectations. I was so prepared to be disappointed like I was with ATYCLB and HTDAAB, and then I got really worried after I heard Boots. But now all I can think is "the U2 I love is back." It isn't on the level of The Joshua Tree or Achtung Baby, but it feels like U2 got back something essential that they had lost over the past nine years or so.

I had been completely avoiding this part of the forum because I didn't want to get caught up in the hype, but now that I've listened to the album and am excited about it I have a zillion threads I want to read and post in! :ohmy:

I think this new is the completion of the trilogy that started with ATYCLB. People are wowed by the sounds but I just think it's still an album that still celebrates U2's past work. Albums such as Passengers, The Unforgettable Fire, filtered through modern sensibilities and experience.

Can't wait until tomorrow and the official release...haven't heard anything except Boots and Magnificent...counting the hours.

a very good album with just one notsogood:sexywink: song. i think that 'I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight' doesn't fit really on NLOTH. imo its a poor leftover of the worst U2 album ever (HTDAAB)
here my rating:
No Line on the Horizon 8/10
Magnificent 10/10
Moment of Surrender 8/10
Unknown Caller 7/10
I'll go crazy if I dont't crazy tonight 3/10
Get on your Boots 8/10
Stand up Comedy 10/10
FEZ-Being Born 10/10
White as Snow 10/10
Breathe 10/10
Cedars of Lebanon 7/10