The greatest moment on SOE - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Where The Album Has A Name - Songs of Experience
Click Here to Login

Old 03-02-2018, 07:52 AM   #61
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 08:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The John Tree View Post
I have to agree with the general consensus here: the finales of Little Things and Landlady.

I also love Bono's falsetto before the Landlady finale, complemented by Edge's guitar lick.

Yes, that moment that goes into the finale, the interplay that happens before Bono starts the "every..." and the sound that Edge makes is just magical. It takes me back to Edge's playing in the earlier song Tomorrow.

Which makes me think during the song The Blackout Edge's guitar right after Bono sings "what we had is not coming back", neat little lick right there.

YBORCITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 04:45 PM   #62
Refugee

Local Time: 01:43 PM
The whole of The Blackout,and Red Flag Day are standouts.

super fly guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 07:19 AM   #63
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 12:43 PM
The greatest moment on SOE

Quote:
Originally Posted by super fly guy View Post
The whole of The Blackout,and Red Flag Day are standouts.

The Blackout is really a great song from
start to finish. It never gets boring or complacent and is a really fun ride from start to finish.

Red Flag Day has grown on me a bit and I’m enjoying that a bit more now.

And a shout out again to Little Things as it is just....classic. I put this song up with the best of their songs from ANY decade. What a gorgeous tune.
CosmoKramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 07:45 PM   #64
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 05:43 AM
I think my favourite part of the album is when we see Bono making fun of himself in The Showman, but then when it switches to Little Things you can tell that it hurts.
purpleoscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 01:21 AM   #65
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 10:43 PM
I actually prefer the front half of Little Things over the back half.

The delivery of the song's title is fantastic, and it may be my favourite moment from SOE.

The overlapping vocals from Bono and Edge.. "Red Flag Day (hey hey)" is another resonant moment.
intedomine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 02:59 PM   #66
The Fly

Local Time: 06:43 AM
This may not be the loudest or most memorable moment but when he says “...guard your innocence...” on the last track, it resonates powerfully and always leaves a lump in my throat. I feel like that moment sums up the entirety of message of the album.
Unknown Caller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 07:42 AM   #67
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by purpleoscar View Post
I think my favourite part of the album is when we see Bono making fun of himself in The Showman, but then when it switches to Little Things you can tell that it hurts.

Absolutely. One of the first things that struck me about the album was the placement of these two songs - they are drastically different in music and mood, yet more or less tackle the same subject matter.

It's Bono's self deprecating public self vs his inner depression.
Headache in a Suitcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 12:26 PM   #68
War Child

Little Things is amazing. I wish I had heard it live after its release as I really did not appreciate it at all when they played it in Seattle. In fact I don't think anyone did, the stadium went basically dead.
Iggy Fizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 09:22 PM   #69
The Fly

The greatest moment on SOE

The second half of little things is painfully honest and beautiful. I don’t understand anyone who doesn’t feel it in their core.
Pete12U2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 01:05 AM   #70
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post

Absolutely. One of the first things that struck me about the album was the placement of these two songs - they are drastically different in music and mood, yet more or less tackle the same subject matter.

It's Bono's self deprecating public self vs his inner depression.
Because he's successful a lot of people don't care, but Bono is a person and has feelings.

"Is Bono okay?"
purpleoscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 04:50 AM   #71
Blue Crack Distributor

Mental health is obviously something that can impact anyone regardless if social or economic status - but yea, most people don't consider wealthy celebrities as people who can suffer from depression.

But if you go back and listen to this album with the idea that the writer may have been suffering from depression, some of the lyrics really start to pop out.
Headache in a Suitcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 01:53 PM   #72
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
Mental health is obviously something that can impact anyone regardless if social or economic status - but yea, most people don't consider wealthy celebrities as people who can suffer from depression.

But if you go back and listen to this album with the idea that the writer may have been suffering from depression, some of the lyrics really start to pop out.
And that's just the showman,album bets better with each listen. Well apart from get out your own way.
super fly guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 11:00 AM   #73
Babyface

There are a few contenders.

The build up and coda of Little Things - "Sometimes, I wake at 4 in the morning, where all the darkness is swarming, and it covers me in fear". Wow.

The coda of Landlady - "Every wave that broke me....".

Love Is Bigger - Vocals in the chorus, especially second one when his voice cracks a little (to my ears), it sounds like he's giving everything. Also the middle 8/bridge "If the moonlight caught you crying....... when you think you're done, you've just begun". Hard not to get swept away with it.

Love Is All We Have Left - This is a perfect intro for me, every time I hear it I'm excited for the rest of the album.
tongueinmyear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 09:54 AM   #74
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Love is All We Have Left - Best opener since Zooropa in my opinion. Sets the tone for the album. Bono at his most vulnerable. Near death, floating outside the body and looking down on the world...

Summer of Love - Just a cool, effortless feeling song.

Red Flag - One of my favorites in years. Wish the guitar intro was different, but everything after that is awesome. especially the No, No, NOOOOOO classic U2 in modern wrapping.

Little Things - especially the first half, but another song showcasing bono's state of mind and body the past few years

Landlady!! Just love this song. First half again better for me. But the one i return to again and again.

and 13. Did not like SFS, but this is a completely different animal. "I know the world is done, but you don't have to be" hits me
"Guard your innocence, from hallucination, and that darkness always gathers around the light" - ugh. beautiful. As a father, this one hits
womanfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 05:49 PM   #75
The Fly

The end of The Little Things is the most epic moment on any U2 record probably since the early 90s.

danm is offline   Reply With Quote