The greatest moment on SOE - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Where The Album Has A Name - Songs of Experience
Click Here to Login

Old 01-21-2018, 11:03 AM   #31
The Fly

Local Time: 07:42 AM
The Little Things ... every second of it.
"When all you've left is leaving. And all you've got is grieving ..." section of 13. That one stings, but beautifully.
"I will win and call it losing if the prize is not for you"- Landlady, that whole bit really
Nooooo-oh-oh-oh-oooo. Red Flag Day.
If the moonlight ... Love is Bigger
Chorus of Lights of Home

J_Frank_Parnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 12:23 PM   #32
Refugee

Local Time: 06:42 PM
Little Things.......... even my wife, who is not into U2 , said today that this is an amazing song !!!

hasin73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 12:24 PM   #33
The Fly

First half of Book of Your Heart- Bono's low register and Edge's haunting guitar- sheer beauty.

Little Things gets better every time I hear it.
Fumbleitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 02:51 PM   #34
War Child

Local Time: 02:42 PM
The last chorus of 13.... with the haunting backing vocals....
wolbersu2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 06:06 PM   #35
Refugee

Local Time: 08:42 AM
2nd half of Little Things, no contest.
RoKKeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 12:22 AM   #36
Refugee

Local Time: 12:42 AM
The highest point I think is the Killiney Bay line. Like heaven dropping down into my ears.
But Little Things from 'sometimes' onwards... yeah.
Landlady...
Some of those verses in 13
Strings version of Lights of Home ... all of it.
Some really high highs on this one!
kiwilad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 11:30 AM   #37
Acrobat

Killiney Bay.

You know how SOE is full of callbacks and 're-purposed' parts of SOI?

'Free yourself to be yourself', "13", 'you are rock 'n roll', and all that?

When you hear those parts, you're reminded of the original songs. Those 'interpolations' as they're sometimes known, they sometimes pull you out of the current tune, make you want to go back and compare it to the original, see what's the same, what's changed, which you liked better.

When I first heard Love is Bigger break out into the Killiney Bay line, my first gut response was, "Wow. This is perfect, just perfect. It fits right it, like it's always been there, but new, and lovely and.."

And I almost felt that it could have been pulled from some other, older, perfect song U2 wrote in the past, but nope.. it's sitting right there, a shining new gem of a song.

I remember how U2 once (if we want to go back to the 'evolution of their creative process.. I don't think we do) described their writing process of sort of getting together, jamming ideas out, and *listening* for the songs to emerge. The feeling was that the songs were out there, and U2 were sort of archaeologists, with their instruments being their digging tools. They'd chip and shovel and dust away in their improvisational sessions, and look for the bones of songs to appear, and then 'god' - I guess they're creationists in that respect - would walk through the room and they'd suddenly get a vision of what the final version would be of the song they just unearthed. Then they'd try to capture it on tape with their producers.

Since U2 moved to challenge themselves to a more traditional song-writing approach, you could sort of feel the songs became more constructed than unearthed. There were blueprints and schematics, then the building materials and assembly. Beautiful songs, but you got fewer of those moments where I''d listen to a new U2 song and think, "Wow, how'd they come up with that.. it's like it was always there. I'm surprised it hadn't been written already."

The Killiney Bay section of Love is Bigger - and I'm tempted to say the whole song - feels a lot more like god walked through the room for them one more time.
Montrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 02:43 PM   #38
War Child

Local Time: 05:42 AM
If you listen you can hear the silence say
When you think you’re done, you’ve just begun.

that's a wow moment.
Iggy Fizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 03:30 PM   #39
Refugee

Local Time: 12:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montrose View Post
Killiney Bay.

You know how SOE is full of callbacks and 're-purposed' parts of SOI?

'Free yourself to be yourself', "13", 'you are rock 'n roll', and all that?

When you hear those parts, you're reminded of the original songs. Those 'interpolations' as they're sometimes known, they sometimes pull you out of the current tune, make you want to go back and compare it to the original, see what's the same, what's changed, which you liked better.

When I first heard Love is Bigger break out into the Killiney Bay line, my first gut response was, "Wow. This is perfect, just perfect. It fits right it, like it's always been there, but new, and lovely and.."

And I almost felt that it could have been pulled from some other, older, perfect song U2 wrote in the past, but nope.. it's sitting right there, a shining new gem of a song.

I remember how U2 once (if we want to go back to the 'evolution of their creative process.. I don't think we do) described their writing process of sort of getting together, jamming ideas out, and *listening* for the songs to emerge. The feeling was that the songs were out there, and U2 were sort of archaeologists, with their instruments being their digging tools. They'd chip and shovel and dust away in their improvisational sessions, and look for the bones of songs to appear, and then 'god' - I guess they're creationists in that respect - would walk through the room and they'd suddenly get a vision of what the final version would be of the song they just unearthed. Then they'd try to capture it on tape with their producers.

Since U2 moved to challenge themselves to a more traditional song-writing approach, you could sort of feel the songs became more constructed than unearthed. There were blueprints and schematics, then the building materials and assembly. Beautiful songs, but you got fewer of those moments where I''d listen to a new U2 song and think, "Wow, how'd they come up with that.. it's like it was always there. I'm surprised it hadn't been written already."

The Killiney Bay section of Love is Bigger - and I'm tempted to say the whole song - feels a lot more like god walked through the room for them one more time.
That's a beautifully written post
kiwilad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 03:45 PM   #40
Refugee

Local Time: 05:42 PM
Killiney Bay. Bono likes talking about joy being impossible to contrive, and how rarely it is found in music. This is one of those rare moments. So, so powerful.
youarenotimmune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 07:13 AM   #41
Refugee

Local Time: 01:42 PM
Little Things: "Sometimes..."
Book of Your Heart: The whole atmosphere of that song is wonderful.
Landlady: Last versa/coda.
Red Flag Day: "NO!!!!", but the whole rhythm section throughout is amazing.

And one that nobody has mentioned yet:

Love Is All We Have Left: Vocodered telescope line, love it. So beautiful.
chrissybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 09:19 AM   #42
Blue Crack Distributor

My favorite part of Red Flag Day is actually after the Noooo part that everyone seems to love... the final chorus, into the ending... has that 80s / Police like swagger to it.
Headache in a Suitcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 10:03 AM   #43
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
My favorite part of Red Flag Day is actually after the Noooo part that everyone seems to love... the final chorus, into the ending... has that 80s / Police like swagger to it.
Agree! Looking forward to that bit live.

Aside from that, the whole of Love Is Bigger
Aardvark747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 12:30 PM   #44
The Fly

Local Time: 12:42 PM
It's a toss up between all of Little Things and the whole guitar solo of Lights of Home (either version).
dismantlemyfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 01:21 PM   #45
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissybaby View Post

And one that nobody has mentioned yet:

Love Is All We Have Left: Vocodered telescope line, love it. So beautiful.
I mentioned that as one of the highlights on the previous page. I agree, it is a beautiful bridge to a beautiful song.

ImOuttaControl is offline   Reply With Quote