The Edge to be on 102.1 the Edge / Alan Cross Reviews 'Get On Your Boots'

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sorry... I heard ON THE EDGE that they may be getting it early. Alan Cross was the program director there and could be released on either the Dean Blundell show or with Josie Dye after they are done.

If it was leaked early (and I don't believe it was), Alan has already made it very clear that he wouldn't play it, and why.

Again, no way in hell.

The Music Geek Blog - Explore Music

The Album Leak Dilemma: Why Radio Guys Should Never, Ever Leak Songs

It was a Saturday afternoon in November 2004. My wife and I had just moved into a newly-built house six weeks earlier and I was still working on setting up my home office.

I did a routine check of my email—and the new U2 album, How to Dismantle and Atomic Bomb was just…sitting there.

It was a .zip file, which gave me pause. Could it be real? Chances are it was some Trojan or worm, looking to infect dumb people who open unsolicited .zip files or click on attachments with .exe extensions. Still…

I scrubbed with a couple of anti-virus programs and then sent it to a second computer in my house. Once it arrived in that machine’s mailbox, I unplugged the network cable just in case it was malevolent. I scrubbed it again with another program.

Then I held my breath and unzipped the file.

And there it was. Every track in the running order we’d been promised. And the official release date was more than two weeks away.

What would you do? Would you start emailing files to all your friends? Post everything to a torrent site?

As the program director of the biggest new rock station in the country, I could have scooped the world by playing it before anyone else. What would you have done?

I called Paul, my contact at Universal Records. I reached him on his cell at a shopping mall.

“I have the new U2 album, fully mastered in the correct running order. I think you’d better call management in Ireland.”

He did. According what Paul McGuinness later told me, management convened late that night in Dublin and worked out a plan. The leak was plugged and through a combination of stealth, negotiation, gentle prodding and tough talk, the damage was contained. Mostly.

A few radio folks in certain parts of the world decide they’d go for the scoop and certain songs (“Vertigo” had been out as a single for six weeks by this point) made to air.

Why didn’t I go that route? Because once you screw over a band by leaking their stuff, you’re dead to them. Forget ever having any access to the artist ever again. Sure, you’re a hero to a few people for a few hours or day, but at the cost of being labelled a scumball by the artist and their management.

I’ve seen it happen to people who leak U2 songs, NIN material and Eminem. tracks. It’s just not worth it for a person in my position. I’m not into career suicide.

The only hope we have is if some obscure radio station from somewhere leaks it before everybody else, if not we are just a weekend away from listening to new U2 material!!!!

here's what alan wrote this morning. nothing big:

U2: We’re Getting Close
Friday, January 16, 2009

In case you haven't seen it yet, here's the official word from U2 themselves at U2.com | U2.com.

Although the official release of “Get On Your Boots” is still a few days off—it’s supposed to be a worldwide simultaneous digital delivery at 8am ET on Monday—I get the feeling that something’s gonna blow before the

Here’s why:

Making a record is a torturous process for U2. When it’s finally done, they can’t wait to show everyone what they’ve done.

Why do I get the sense that Bono’s gonna walk the single into the Dublin studios of RTE (the Irish equivalent of the CBC and the BBC) in the next 48 hours and ask that the announcer play it?

If that happens, U2 management and their worldwide network of record reps will have to scramble to release the single early.

Another scenario has someone breaking the embargo.

Dozens of CD-Rs of “Get On Your Boots” were burned and given to record company representitives for demonstration purposes. Even those these discs are encrypted and watermarked, someone is going to find the temptation to leak it too great. It’s only human nature.

Meanwhile, those manning the usual listening posts are beginning to pick up weird chatter.

goyb monday 7:00 am

sorry guys, i didn't know where to post this, i just want to let you know that a hungarian radio station will premiere Get On Your Boots on monday, at 8:00 a.m. hungarian time, which means 7:00 a.m. dublin time, an hour before the 2fm premiere. i read it on the hungarian u2 fansite from someone who heard the announcement on that radio today. i know it's only 1 hour, but i guess there are some fans on this forum who would die just to hear the song before the irish radio plays it. you can listen online here: slager.hu click on the black headphone on the right side next to the big red line. i hope the information is correct, they did the same thing with Vertigo in 2004 on the day of its world radio premiere.

alan cross just posted this to Twitter (4min ago):

Heads-up: Irish radio apparently has the world premiere of the new U2 single at 8:10am Dublin time. That's 3:10am ET in North America.

which i assume he's talking about Monday.

alan cross just posted this to Twitter (4min ago):

Heads-up: Irish radio apparently has the world premiere of the new U2 single at 8:10am Dublin time. That's 3:10am ET in North America.

thanks for the heads up. if that is monday, then dave fanning confirmed that for us a few days ago. If its tomorrow, we got 18 hours left folks!!

thanks for the heads up. if that is monday, then dave fanning confirmed that for us a few days ago. If its tomorrow, we got 18 hours left folks!!

yeah, he should be more specific. i'm sure it's monday, but still.

Yeah, he didn't specify and I suspect it's referring to the Fanning premiere as well. Guy has me intrigued with all of his talk about the odds of an early leak/early premiere.

He's been around long enough to know how the game works.

I dont think he has solid inside info, just making educated guess from the perspective of someone who knows and respects the band quite well.

His comments have been intriguing the whole way through. :up:

here's what alan wrote this morning. nothing big:

Why do I get the sense that Bono’s gonna walk the single into the Dublin studios of RTE (the Irish equivalent of the CBC and the BBC) in the next 48 hours and ask that the announcer play it?

Can't see that happening with all of them in DC for the next couple of days.

Back
Top Bottom