The Crystal Ballroom Admiration Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Get ready for bashing :wave:

I hope I didn't unknowingly piss anyone off.... like I said this could be my top song from them in years and Ii don't hate the outro and Edges playing there, I just think it could have been a little less subdued.

I played the sing for a friend yesterday who plays guitar professionally, in metal band, but loves the Edges playing. He said "wtf is he doing there? Edge missed a real great chance at a fantastic solo."

I hope I didn't unknowingly piss anyone off.... like I said this could be my top song from them in years and Ii don't hate the outro and Edges playing there, I just think it could have been a little less subdued.

I played the sing for a friend yesterday who plays guitar professionally, in metal band, but loves the Edges playing. He said "wtf is he doing there? Edge missed a real great chance at a fantastic solo."

You didn't. Someone is trying too hard to play the victim, ignore him.

The exact same reaction came from one of my friends who also plays guitar :)

I like the slinky thin choppy rhythm part he plays in the outro, under that groovy guitar solo.

you gotta dig guitar playin like that rhythm part. It's like Nile Rogers. He's a fantastic fucking guitar player. That kind of shit ain't easy. Pretty much the whole song is awesome guitar playing.

It's funny you mention this, because I just caught that vibe with the help of ms. Ybor... still an absolute great great song, I really thought these magical songs were a thing if the past from these guys but there's some amazing work on this album.

Edge never misses an opportunity to jump out of the spotlight. His whole career has been like that. Not sure why so many suddenly want him to be Eddie Van Halen.

I once had a conversation about Edge with a friend who played and taught guitar. I mentioned that I'd heard so many complain about Edge never soloing. Why doesn't he ever solo?

His only response: "he doesn't have to."

Edge never misses an opportunity to jump out of the spotlight. His whole career has been like that. Not sure why so many suddenly want him to be Eddie Van Halen.

I once had a conversation about Edge with a friend who played and taught guitar. I mentioned that I'd heard so many complain about Edge never soloing. Why doesn't he ever solo?

Point well taken, I hope I didn't give off the idea that I think the song is nothing less than brilliant. I just didn't kinda "get" the outro.

No one wants it, I think. As no one wants him to play like a retarded imitation of Santana :doh:

TCB and LH are good songs along with the acoustic versions I am glad I paid for the extra stuff...but SOI makes sense to me just as it is.

Why don't you just fuck right off

Sent from my ass crack

Why don't we all take a deep breath and ratchet down the antagonism a bit.

Maybe he's trolling you. If that's the case, trolls usually relish attention and reactions, so... congrats on giving him what he wants.

Maybe he just wording things poorly and was trying to agree that no one wants a solo-wanking Edge. He isn't a native English speaker. If that's the case, it'd be nice to not jump down someone's throat for a poorly worded thought.

To use retarded in a derogatory fashion like that makes you scum. A proper, filthy scumbag. Gvox was not harsh enough.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

You know, going off and calling someone a filthy scumbag doesn't reflect all that well on you, either. Tone it down.

There's a language where calling someone retarded in a derogatory way is acceptable? Remind me to skip that one in the Rosetta Stone series.

I think I made a slip some years back where I called an idea "retarded", meaning stupid. It was a bad choice of words that I almost immediately recognized as such and felt bad, having family very dear to me with Down's Syndrome. I think I even remember who called me out on it even though I didn't really mean it as "an idea that only a retarded person would come up with", which is derogatory and unnacceptable.

And yet this is exactly what our newest trolly member did; basically said the solo they think is shit sounded like it was played or imagined by a retarded person. This is not a language barrier situation this is the person just being an insensitive jerk at the expense of persons with Down's Syndrome.

I react to that the same way I react to a racist sexist or homophobic slur: violently. if this person has a shred of integrity they'll apologize and also stop trolling (which, in fact, they've already admitted to),

Sent from my ass crack

There's a language where calling someone retarded in a derogatory way is acceptable?

Oh, I'm sorry, did I say it was acceptable?

No, no I didn't.

What I AM saying is that it is not okay to respond to poorly worded or offensive comments with offensive comments of your own.

I react to that [snip] violently.

Yeah, you need to learn to curb that.

Do you really think that the best way to react to someone being offensive is to be offensive in return? Do you think the best possible response to your earlier use of "retarded" as "stupid" would be someone going off on you?

That's a rhetorical question, by the way. Let this (and your constant hounding of thavidesco) go.

Last edited:
Glen Luchford is calling/asking via his instagram for extras to be in a film/movie shoot tomorrow at a NYC club. Wonder what it is for (if at all a U2 video shoot related)

Glen Luchford is calling/asking via his instagram for extras to be in a film/movie shoot tomorrow at a NYC club. Wonder what it is for (if at all a U2 video shoot related)

Who is Glen Luchford?

So then the better question is, will everyone be shirtless in the video?

stewiegriffingaybar.jpg

Why don't you just fuck right off

Sent from my ass crack

Enough now. Just, enough. Your trolling is getting sad.

To use retarded in a derogatory fashion like that makes you scum. A proper, filthy scumbag. Gvox was not harsh enough.

Guys, guys... so much negativity and insults because of one guitar solo. Moreover a solo so weak it simply doesn´t deserve it :)

I also agree. He does not have to solo on every song. That is his style, and
I like it just the way it is. I am also a huge Van Halen fan since their first record, but their music is diferent.
It is a diferent style of rock.
U2 also plays rock n roll but on a diferent level.

Some U2 songs may (or might) sound good if Eddie Van Halen , or Jimmy Page, or even Slash were playing them. But they would not improve on
the song in itself.

The song was meant to sound like the way The Edge imagined it would
sound like. Just like Van Halen´s music or Led Zeppelin´s music would not
sound any better if The Edge would play in his style.

Each song and each band is unique and should sound unique.
That is what most people and my friends since the early 1980s could
never understand about U2 and the way they played or sounded like.
Most of my friends always wanted to see the Edge doing a crazy-fast solo act
like Yngwie Malmsteen or rip his guitar to shreds like Pete Townshend.
But U2 plays on a diferent sonic level of rock-n-roll

So if a song does not have a solo in it, perhaps that is exactly what
the Edge wanted. That guy is very serious about his music and the songs
he plays, so I am sure he does this feeling good in the end that it sounded
just like he imagined in his sonic landscape dreams.

Back
Top Bottom