The Club Album - Will.I.Am

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
in other previously discussed news.. everybody remember when Bono stated in 2009 that the Rubin album was a "club" album?

We've got a few albums up our sleeves. We've got a whole album we started with Rick Rubin, which is a rocking club album with beats and big guitars, and I can't wait to get back to that. So we're going to see where the mood takes us. But it's not like we have to start afresh. We have five or six songs on that album.

Bono talks about U2's 360 Degree Tour in exclusive interview

in other previously discussed news.. everybody remember when Bono stated in 2009 that the Rubin album was a "club" album?

Bono talks about U2's 360 Degree Tour in exclusive interview

Sounds promising, considering when he revealed u2 was working with DM, he mentioned the club album as well, saying "We have a pile of songs" (as opposed to saying they were still planning to start making club tracks).
U2 Recording New Album With Danger Mouse | Rolling Stone Music

So if they are working with the Rubin material as well, this makes things more interesting - see, so far i've been thinking they'll probably end up merging the club and DM albums, but if they have a truck-load of club songs spanning all the way from the Rubin sessions, maybe we will get more than one album? :hmm:

Of course, it's always possible they simply took the Rubin songs, and are working them over with people like Will.i.am? (Bono said they hit a 'rich song writing vain of 50-60 songs with the NLOTH sessions, we only got 11, 15 if you count the 'out-takes').
Either way, this all makes me think an album can be put out pretty damn soon!

i hope the club album does happen ... the NLOTH remixes were surprisingly good. I've listened to the GOYB Fish Out of Water remix almost as much as the original song (gave Justice a fair number of spins as well). and playing the CT remix was an excellent decision, really energized the crowd. Magnificent remixes were great too. if a club album is anything like the No Line remixes, and/or POP (ok, so the first three songs are the only ones that are anything close to dance/electronica...but those three songs are some of their best), i will be ecstatic. some may argue U2's a little old to be making dance music, but hey, Underworld's been together about as long as U2, and their latest album is excellent. if the tunes are good, i am down

i hope the club album does happen ... the NLOTH remixes were surprisingly good. I've listened to the GOYB Fish Out of Water remix almost as much as the original song (gave Justice a fair number of spins as well). and playing the CT remix was an excellent decision, really energized the crowd. Magnificent remixes were great too. if a club album is anything like the No Line remixes, and/or POP (ok, so the first three songs are the only ones that are anything close to dance/electronica...but those three songs are some of their best), i will be ecstatic. some may argue U2's a little old to be making dance music, but hey, Underworld's been together about as long as U2, and their latest album is excellent. if the tunes are good, i am down

I really hope they make some club tunes too - songs like 'Lady with the Spinning head' and 'Mysterious ways' are good examples of how amazing u2 songs can be with a club twist, whilst still retaining the recognisable 'u2 sound'. Also, i may come under fire for this, but i think that tunes like Magnificent and Boots would have sounded much cooler produced by a club producer, rather than Eno/lanois/lillywhite.
I think some of their best work has a very 'dance' feel to it, so i think it's a great idea of them to work with people like David Guetta and Will.i.am (just as long as those guys don't contribute to the song writing :D ).
I doubt we'll get an entire club album though - more likely they'll just combine what they have with Danger Mouse and Will.i.am. It's also possible they took all the songs they made with DM, and gave them to will.i.am to produce, or vice versa. Either way, we'll probably have quite a varied, single album coming, and i'm sure many of the tracks (definitely the singles) will be club songs!

I really hope they make some club tunes too - songs like 'Lady with the Spinning head' and 'Mysterious ways' are good examples of how amazing u2 songs can be with a club twist, whilst still retaining the recognisable 'u2 sound'. Also, i may come under fire for this, but i think that tunes like Magnificent and Boots would have sounded much cooler produced by a club producer, rather than Eno/lanois/lillywhite.
I think some of their best work has a very 'dance' feel to it, so i think it's a great idea of them to work with people like David Guetta and Will.i.am

Definitely, I agree

also maybe going into club territory will inspire them to play Mofo or Discotheque live on 360 next year...one can dream, anyway

Definitely, I agree

also maybe going into club territory will inspire them to play Mofo or Discotheque live on 360 next year...one can dream, anyway

:ohmy:
Man, i hadn't even thought of that! Let's hope so!!!!
Although now i think about it, it seems likely that what they're making now is meant to be 'pop, but done right' - seeing they've kind of disowned that album, i wouldn't be surprised if they distanced themselves even more in order to make the new club songs seem entirely new and not a continuation of Pop...

:ohmy:
Man, i hadn't even thought of that! Let's hope so!!!!
Although now i think about it, it seems likely that what they're making now is meant to be 'pop, but done right' - seeing they've kind of disowned that album, i wouldn't be surprised if they distanced themselves even more in order to make the new club songs seem entirely new and not a continuation of Pop...

:/ BUT POP WAS DONE RIGHT DAMNIT :angry:

though it wasn't much of a club album past the first three songs

if they are taking inspiration from the vision they had for Pop, i will likely be happy with the result

wish they wouldn't trash talk it and/or ignore it though. i understand as an artist it can be frustrating if you release something you think you could have significantly improved. but what artists often fail to take into account is the fact that as soon as you give your creations to the world, they're not just yours anymore. they're everyone's. Pop is a piece of me and many others. U2 can certainly have their opinions but when they trash Pop it's like hey, that's my favourite album you're talking about! be nice! :p

:/ BUT POP WAS DONE RIGHT DAMNIT :angry:

though it wasn't much of a club album past the first three songs

if they are taking inspiration from the vision they had for Pop, i will likely be happy with the result

wish they wouldn't trash talk it and/or ignore it though. i understand as an artist it can be frustrating if you release something you think you could have significantly improved. but what artists often fail to take into account is the fact that as soon as you give your creations to the world, they're not just yours anymore. they're everyone's. Pop is a piece of me and many others. U2 can certainly have their opinions but when they trash Pop it's like hey, that's my favourite album you're talking about! be nice! :p

I completely agree with you, it's such a shame that they seem so afraid of Pop! However, hopefully these new club tracks will bring that spirit, and who knows, maybe it will make them see the Pop album in a new light... and perhaps lead to them playing more than just snippets? :hmm:

Back
Top Bottom