The "boost NLOTH's score on rateyourmusic" thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Keep it up :up::up:

I think I already gave it a 5 star review a while back.

That U2 bias there is really lame. I used to use that site for music ratings, but I've since gone over to Sputnick Music where people tend to be more objective and there's no mindless hate spamming.

EDIT: Apparently I had only given Get On Your Boots the single 5 stars. Done!

So why is it still at 2.62?

Because there is weighting at play. Over-eager fans have invaded RYM and tried to boost ratings before; a raid by Clay Aiken fans tends to be fondly remembered on the RYM forums. Single use accounts like those being registered by this thread's posters will have precious little impact, while if I go over there and rate it five stars (I've been an RYM user for years, with hundreds of ratings and reviews on the site), that may actually have a noticeable impact.

Except I'm not going to rate it yet, since I'd prefer the album to sink in a little bit more before I decide what to give it.

Because there is weighting at play. Over-eager fans have invaded RYM and tried to boost ratings before; a raid by Clay Aiken fans tends to be fondly remembered on the RYM forums. Single use accounts like those being registered by this thread's posters will have precious little impact, while if I go over there and rate it five stars (I've been an RYM user for years, with hundreds of ratings and reviews on the site), that may actually have a noticeable impact.

Except I'm not going to rate it yet, since I'd prefer the album to sink in a little bit more before I decide what to give it.

Ah, makes sense, thanks.

Maybe it's an age thing, but I tend not to change my mind much, after I form an opinion. This album is up there for me. I know that already, after about 10 listens. I can't quite say where it will ultimately end up in my U2 echelon yet, but U2 albums tend to jump rankings pretty wildly for me anyway, depending on what I'm in the mood to listen to at the time. But the ranking is relative, because I love almost all of them.

I don't know.. How do I make another account when it automatically takes me to my original account?

When you log out, it takes you to a page where you can log back in to the first account by clicking a link on the left hand side of the page, or create a new account by clicking a link on the right hand side.

Because there is Single use accounts like those being registered by this thread's posters will have precious little impact, while if I go over there and rate it five stars (I've been an RYM user for years, with hundreds of ratings and reviews on the site), that may actually have a noticeable impact.

Well how is that an accurate rating if fan's, who really think it is already a really good album, can't rate it a 5 without them discounting it? You are saying it doesn't count if we all, that love it, rate it a 5. That's a complete waste of time, and quite frankly any review they give is bogus. If it really counts for anything. (which doesn't matter to me, anyway)

I love how it's gotten so many poor reviews when the only people who have the album right now are us die hard fans. And last time I checked, us die hard fans think it's brilliant. Stupid website.

When you log out, it takes you to a page where you can log back in to the first account by clicking a link on the left hand side of the page, or create a new account by clicking a link on the right hand side.

:up:

I hadn't made the 5 star decision when I was listening to it at work yesterday and today. Now that I'm home and listening. It's more than worthy. :up:

:up:

I hadn't made the 5 star decision when I was listening to it at work yesterday and today. Now that I'm home and listening. It's more than worthy. :up:

Before tonight, I'd only listened to it on my computer, and there were a few songs I liked well enough, but that hadn't really grabbed me yet. Tonight I've been listening on my stereo - louder, and more clarity - and I already like those songs more and more. I honestly don't think there's a bad track on the album, they're all really good.

There's always a catch.

Oh well, at least there will be some amusing moments like Ian McCulloch giving the album 5 stars to look back on.

Well how is that an accurate rating if fan's, who really think it is already a really good album, can't rate it a 5 without them discounting it? You are saying it doesn't count if we all, that love it, rate it a 5. That's a complete waste of time, and quite frankly any review they give is bogus. If it really counts for anything. (which doesn't matter to me, anyway)

Uh, what? Did you even read my post?

The site weights rankings to favour long-term users as a means of countering single-purpose alters, so that fans (or haters) of a particular album can't register 1,000 accounts and skew the rankings. So any legitimate user of the site who actually uses it for its intended purpose will count towards the overall ranking, while alters will have little to no impact.

It's actually quite a good system.

I just left my too long review and rating. I forgot I had an account there, been years since I logged in. It needs to be over 3.0 at least.

What's the point of rating an album that hasn't even been officially released? :scratch:

I don't see why we should go to a site full of haters who have already made up their mind without even listening to the album. It's a waste of time and energy.

When the album is released all of the normal people on the site who hear it will bring up the rating. I don't think we have too much to worry about. HTDAAB has 2,156 ratings while NLOTH only has 151 right now. There 2,000 people who have yet to chime in.

There are some interesting ratings starting to come in and the score has gone up to 2.83/5 (I swear it was in the 2.3's a month ago).

"3.5/5
I really dislike U2. I started listening to this, expecting another bomb. Just because I have problems with ever admitting Bono is good at anything, I will attribute the fact that that album is actually pretty decent to Brian Eno and Daniel Lanois."

"4.5/5
I have heard it....unlike some people on here have probably pretended or dreamt they have and..........its good,it's different and Coldplay will probably puke with envy haha!."

Yeah, the score has apparently risen a bit without our help. Hopefully the non-trolls will start to find their way in at some point.

I have an account and have rated it 4.5 stars and given it a pretty fanboyish review

but if people here are only registering and rating it highly, it won't make a difference. We'd have no weight. For your rating to make a difference, you'd have to rate a lot of albums and have a wide range of ratings. Not just 4.5 and 5 stars

WHOA! There is now a page of for NLOTH on Sputnick Music which is another music rating website where they are a lot more fair. Perhaps this deserves it's own thread. I'm not sure how the weighting works there... In case anyone has heard the album and has an account, log on and give the album your rating so we get ahead of the curve and some U2 haters don't slam it with bad ratings...

U2 - No Line on the Horizon User Opinions - sputnikmusic

EDIT: And for comparison sake, here is what Sputnick users have given other U2 albums...

3.4 How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb
3.5 All That You Can't Leave Behind
3.1 Pop
3.5 Zooropa
4.1 Achtung Baby
3.5 Rattle And Hum
4.2 The Joshua Tree
3.7 The Unforgettable Fire
4.0 War
3.3 October
3.7 Boy

Back