The Blackout

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Don't know if anyone ever mentioned the Paul Simon influence on the lyrics...

Just slip out the back, Jack, make a new plan, Stan
Don't need to be coy, Roy, just listen to me
Hop on the bus, Gus, don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee, and get yourself free

(50 Ways to Leave Your Lover, Paul Simon)

This song is getting missed due to the fact that GOOYOW is being treated as the 2nd single.

This song is the best of the 3 they have released from the new album and should be front and centre.

Yes. I agree. Until in walks Fred, Ned, Jack, Zac. I hate those twats.

Great song though. U2 still got it.

I don’t think most listeners will think anything of it. As always, it’s been micro-analyzed by U2 fans.

You're right. No one will notice rhyming said with Ned, and back with Zach. And even if they did notice, they'd give Bono the benefit of the doubt cause they're necessary rhymes. They add to the song. It's beautiful prose, Rose.

Micro-analyzed? They are ridiculous lyrics that sound like they were written by a child.

I have a feeling if a song was released today with lyrics like this, they'd probably be considered a bit odd and juvenile too...

"Johnny, take a walk with your sister the moon
Let her pale light in, to fill up your room...

Johnny, take a dive with your sister in the rain
Let her talk about the things you can't explain..."

I want to like this song. But the beginning sounds like The Miracle which gets it off on the wrong foot. And the chorus isn't fulfilling. It falls rather hollow despite my most ardent wishful thinking and attempts to convince myself otherwise. Something's missing.

This will be the opening song to the new tour. They opened with a giant lightbulb last time... started in the light... so I assume they'll start with the light on, maybe flickering, it will go pitch black and in darkness you heard this song start to play.... Light of Innocence vs Dark of Experience.... that's how I see this song... it will bring the house down live...

THE miracle
THE blackout

works

Doesn't anyone else get Zoo Station's intro from The Blackout's intro? The first thing that I thought when I heard it, and I wasn't even analysing anything.

This will be the opening song to the new tour. They opened with a giant lightbulb last time... started in the light... so I assume they'll start with the light on, maybe flickering, it will go pitch black and in darkness you heard this song start to play.... Light of Innocence vs Dark of Experience.... that's how I see this song... it will bring the house down live...

THE miracle
THE blackout

works
I just hope they abandon the "we're going back to where we started and not using the screens for 4 songs" thing.

Use that fucker from jump street.

I just hope they abandon the "we're going back to where we started and not using the screens for 4 songs" thing.

I can live with four songs. It focuses on four guys playing their instruments/singing, then brings in the big boy for the rest of the show. I can't picture Electric Co. having half the intensity it had at the beginning if it had dancing emojis (or whatever) on the screen people were all looking up and paying attention to.

I can live with four songs. It focuses on four guys playing their instruments/singing, then brings in the big boy for the rest of the show. I can't picture Electric Co. having half the intensity it had at the beginning if it had dancing emojis (or whatever) on the screen people were all looking up and paying attention to.
Why on Earth would it have to have something corny? Why couldn't it just, oh I dunno, call me crazy here... but what if the video screen... showed the band?

If anyone is interested. My link with the new songs is still up. I have also done some edits/mixes in there if you want to check them out.

The latest in an "enhanced" Blackout with a little extra punch where it needs it. Subtle but works i think. Also shortened the Easy on me bits by half.

Also, an American Soul with the most offensive lyrics removed. Community, charity, blah blah refujesus... So it that is the worst part of the song for you (as it is for me) enjoy this version!

https://spectrio.egnyte.com/fl/QyoqWm6OOA

Enjoyed your edit of Blackout, Womanfish.

I wonder if it would be possible to add the steady snare drum beat from the chorus of the Facebook "live" version to the chorus of the studio version? Perhaps using a Garageband drum sample?

Last edited:

I wonder if it would be possible to add the steady snare drum beat from the chorus of the Facebook "live" version to the chorus of the studio version? Perhaps using a Garageband drum sample?

Yeah, that was sort of my first idea. I added the backing of the live guitar/bass in certain "attack" areas.

The mix is just so strange. its like they have Larry playing the kick and the rest is almost non-existent.

I may be able to try that at some point, but not sure i have the right set up right now.

That was bad... was it only 4 songs? Felt like 8 when I was with wife who doesn't love U2 and she was like "I want to see the band"... and I'm like we all do!

At least in arena, it plays better than a huge stadium. But yes, for a minute or 2... then kick up the screens like Elevation Tour right?

That was bad... was it only 4 songs? Felt like 8 when I was with wife who doesn't love U2 and she was like "I want to see the band"... and I'm like we all do!

At least in arena, it plays better than a huge stadium. But yes, for a minute or 2... then kick up the screens like Elevation Tour right?
I imagine it was awful on JT for anyone other than those in GA or douche seats.

What's stupider is, like, what were they going for? Even if you aren't a loony like us, you knew the backdrop had a video element because they showed the opening act in the upper corner.

They actually would have gotten more of an "oh shit, the whole thing is a screen" moment if they had kept the band on the upper right like the opener, that way a lot of people would have thought that was the only part that was a screen.

And then boom, red shit son.

Come at me, Willie Williams.

ok, i just went back and doubled up the snare and the attack coming out of the chorus.

now called - Blackout (womanfish extra enhanced)

enjoy

I imagine it was awful on JT for anyone other than those in GA or douche seats.

I agree. I appreciate what they were trying to do, but in a stadium setting? Bad idea. Nobody feels nostalgia for going to a stadium show and not being able to see anything because there aren't any screens.

ok, i just went back and doubled up the snare and the attack coming out of the chorus.

now called - Blackout (womanfish extra enhanced)

enjoy
Just FYI, there's some kind of glitch in the MP3 at approx. 23 seconds in.

Other than that, sounds great! Thanks! :wave:

Last edited:

Absolutely.

Elevation was about as stripped down in terms of a concert experience as post-JT U2 gets...and they still had those four huge screens so people could, you know, see the band.

I think most people in the cheap seats at 360 probably went the entire concert without looking directly at the four guys on the stage once.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom