The "Apple Stunt"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
because I DIDN'T ASK FOR IT!

just like I DIDN'T ASK TO BE BORN!

Who cares, it's like getting a free newspaper. If you don't like it it'll go in the trash. I'm pretty sure the album will be left out of the Purchased category for those who didn't download it come October. They'll actually have to pay for it.

Sent from my iPod touch using U2 Interference

I really liken this to a "free gift with purchase" situation. You know, but a car and the dealer gives you a gift card to PF Changs, or buy a pair of shoes and get a free keychain, whatever. But in this case, you didn't even have to buy anything for the free gift, you just had to be a customer. If you don't want to go to PF Changs, just throw the gift card away, or give it to someone else. Nobody goes on Twitter and complains about how the dealer assumed they liked Chinese food. This is just complaining for complaining sake, because it's U2. U2 could hand out $100 bills to every citizen on the planet and people would still bitch about it on twitter.

The Yellow Pages people still drop off a hard copy on my porch every year. Every year I calmly bypass the house and put into the recycling bin and then go about my business.

Very interesting interview with Guy O:

Exclusive: Guy Oseary on U2's $100 Million Deal With Apple, And What's Next for the Group | Billboard
It’s been a decade since U2 has had a true mainstream hit, so there’s a whole generation of music listeners who may just be discovering the band’s music. How do you convert them into fans without oversaturating them?
As you can see from today’s iTunes charts, clearly people are digging back into the catalog to learn more about the band, with 16 albums on the iTunes charts. That’s a statement, that people are going, “Oh, let me learn more about this band.” I’ve seen a lot of tweets from kids who are 14, 15, 16, 18 who are going, “Wow, this is really good.” They didn’t know what to expect. That’s a great feeling, that maybe someone in their collection only has hip-hop, and yet maybe someone only has country artists, or someone in India doesn’t have any Anglo artists, and they discover U2 today. The one thing all these people have in common is U2 now. The one thing everyone on iTunes has in common today is U2 and a U2 album. It’s an amazing opportunity, even at this stage in U2’s career, to make new friends.

Current U.S. iTunes Rankings

U.S. iTunes chart as of 8 am California Time

11. The Joshua Tree (Remastered)
24. U218 Singles
28. Achtung Baby (Remastered)
31. U218 Singles (Deluxe Version)
34. Rattle & Hum
37. War (Remastered)
38. The Unforgettable Fire (Remastered)
45. All That You Can't Leave Behind
49. The Best of 1980-1990
54. Under a Blood Red Sky (Live)
58. Boy (Remastered)
61. How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb
68. Live from Paris
71. Zooropa
74. No Line on the Horizon
77. The Joshua Tree (Deluxe Edition)
84. October (Remastered)
88. Achtung Baby (Deluxe Edition)
99. The Best of 1990-2000
111. Pop
137. The Unforgettable Fire (Deluxe Edition)

In the Rock Albums Category, U2 are at positions:
2, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 17,18, 19, 21, 23, 24, 26, 28, 30, 45, 89, 94, and 126

:lol: I'm laughing my ass out right now, I can't find any English articles on this yet.
But people are getting irritated already, some Dutch articles appeared today in which people are claiming that Apple violated the European Cookie law by pushing U2's record. :applaud:

Apple schendt cookiewet met U2-push | PCM

This is the article through google translate :

Apple violates cookie law with U2-push

Apple violates European cookie law with pushing the free new album by rock band U2. Users see that the bands music is suddenly in their iTunes library , and on their iPhone.
With this; Apple violates European cookie law, which is wider than just cookies.
Namely, the law states that information, such as cookies may be placed. But not just via a telecommunications network to a device.
Privacy expert Simon Hania has detected the lawbreaking, and Internet lawyer Arnoud Engelfriet confirming infringement opposite PCM.

"U2 is rarely functional '

Pushing information is allowed in certain cases it explains Engelfriet off. For example, for functional data, so that data which are necessary for the functioning of a device or service.
"Think of pictures on a website. But for U2 its rarely necessary to make something work, "added the lawyer internet is dryly.
Moreover, additional capabilities as offered by a browser toolbar fall back not covered by this exception.
Even an update to software such as an operating system, is not covered by the exceptions.

Lively discussions arise now about Apple's U2-action on the Internet. The terms of use (end-user license agreement, EULA) for the iTunes Store, unreadable for normal people , could push this because it mentioned somewhere. And users have ever gone do agree with those terms, by clicking on "Agree". During commissioning However, a EULA is not automatically above the law. Which is also the other way is not just the case.

Explicit permission vs EULA

According to both Hania and Engelfriet is the stumbling point here however is that the cookie law requires explicit permission must be sought.
So it should not be included in the terms and conditions. "That's why websites should ask separately if you want the newsletter, or give you permission to place cookies, etc. For example," explains Engelfriet off.

He says the cookie law has a somewhat unfortunate name, but quite sensible, except at the point of cookies. Hania also refers in a tweet to the opinion (PDF) European privacy watchdogs over the requirements previously imposed. Permission to The privacy expert states that there has already been made. Cases on similar issues Way out for Apple, according to him, a separate update service with permission and explanation of what Apple would push of data.

'Required' music

The discussions go on the internet incidentally far only about the legal aspects of the promo campaign. The free U2 album is unsolicited and is thereby pushed automatically into iTunes libraries correctly.
Depending on synchronization settings, the music is automatically connected to an iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch right. And the album does not appear to be from the music collection, delete reports GigaOm.

I'm enjoying this :corn:

All these twits and other dumbasses with their faux outrage are doing is spurring the casual itunes user who may otherwise have never known about the free album to go check it out.

There are 2 major lessons in life:

1. Righty-tighty-lefty-loosy
2. People are stupid

Brazil, Spain and Italy are now the top countries with the most U2 sales. Nice to see India not that far behind - it's about time they do shows in places other than Japan.
Worldwide iTunes Performance

That made me proud! It's so amazing to see that Ordinary Love is among the top 40 songs, and 21(!!!) U2 albuns are among the Top 200 of iTunes.

And about others platforms? Spotify and Last FM? Anyone saw something?

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

U.S. iTunes chart as of 8 am California Time

11. The Joshua Tree (Remastered)
24. U218 Singles
28. Achtung Baby (Remastered)
31. U218 Singles (Deluxe Version)
34. Rattle & Hum
37. War (Remastered)
38. The Unforgettable Fire (Remastered)
45. All That You Can't Leave Behind
49. The Best of 1980-1990
54. Under a Blood Red Sky (Live)
58. Boy (Remastered)
61. How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb
68. Live from Paris
71. Zooropa
74. No Line on the Horizon
77. The Joshua Tree (Deluxe Edition)
84. October (Remastered)
88. Achtung Baby (Deluxe Edition)
99. The Best of 1990-2000
111. Pop
137. The Unforgettable Fire (Deluxe Edition)

In the Rock Albums Category, U2 are at positions:
2, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 17,18, 19, 21, 23, 24, 26, 28, 30, 45, 89, 94, and 126

Hey old friend.
Any idea of what that would translate into sales wise? I mean what does something need to be selling to be in the top 10? 20?

I know that's a long shot

Also, in your opinion will this translate into several U2 albums showing up on next weeks Billboard album chart?

This is my favorite: Who is U2?

Very funny :D

Idk who U2 is or how they automatically pushing they mixtapes into niggas music libraries

Who the hell is U2? ??????”youtube?

I'll pay somebody $20 just to delete that U2 off my phone , idk who the hell dat is & I ain't interested

What the FUCK is a U2??? I had Jeezy album on shuffle and this BULLSHIT plays and fucked up my whole mood. Why tf is it in my library?

:lol: U2 are defiantly fucking up the mainstream here, LOVE it

I'll say it again: there's something very 90s U2 about the way they did this. Bono's comparison to "junk mail" reminds me of announcing Pop at KMart and making us watch television on ZooTV. I feel like they're poking fun at the idea that any music from them would automatically be viewed as a gift. They had to know this move would piss off some people. They invited the backlash.

But the end goal was to reach as many people as possible, and they succeeded tremendously. The charts prove that.

What the fuck is a U2, indeed.

Back
Top Bottom