The "Apple Stunt"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Interesting but fails to mention the fact that U2 still do have pretty decent record sales even NLOTH despite poor sales in U2 terms sold a pretty decent amount for the market it was in, so I still disagree with the whole "it's not about album sales for U2 it's bums on seats" U2360 proved they didn't need a massive selling album (again by U2 standards) to brake attendance records etc.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

So going by the sales levels of the us, does this mean SOI is 500x Platinum? Lol. That would be a good catchphrase to go along with the whole tour. Highest "selling" album of all time.

Thanks for starting this thread. I think a lot of people are freaking out over some of the negative reviews from critics, who are mostly focusing on the way the album was released over the actual music.

Anyway, if you think about the fact that if even 10% keep it and actually listen to it a little, you might get half of those people that find it pretty good, that 25 million people. Of those, if you get half that like it quite a bit and go and discover some of their older stuff, and then beyond that, want to go see them live, you've got over 10 million new "fans"

Even if you slice THAT number in half and they still end up winning this thing.

Take that into consideration along with the fact that this whole process has just begun. The Apple ads haven't even aired yet. And while the vocal minority will blather on their little blog that 800 people look at about how corporate and lame U2 is for doing it, there are 10,000 other middle aged people that haven't given U2 a fair shake in the last decade that might say, damn that's a pretty cool tune. I'll check out the album.

Beyond the ad, it seems like there will be more to come. So the negative reviews will come. Especially when doing something bold like this. Critics love to try and knock the biggest and best off their pedestal. They are mostly bitter little people. But in the big scheme of things, U2 will win. Again.

Well said! ☺️

Yeah u2 always win,

nloth got slammed by some but it still sells 5 million copies (top ten seller of the year)then they go and gross over 700 million dollers on the 360 tour (which will never be beaten plus Bono's facebook shares went through the roof.U2 Win!

Some are slamming SOI and the method it was released. U2 get paid millions and millions by apple for the rights to the album and future projects. U2 havent got to worry about the album bombing in the charts. Their next tour will break millions and set new records no doubt. U2's back catalogue is selling like hot cakes. U2 WIN!

Interesting but fails to mention the fact that U2 still do have pretty decent record sales even NLOTH despite poor sales in U2 terms sold a pretty decent amount for the market it was in, so I still disagree with the whole "it's not about album sales for U2 it's bums on seats" U2360 proved they didn't need a massive selling album (again by U2 standards) to brake attendance records etc.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Poor sales is relative.

NLOTH still went Platinum in the U.S. Once upon a time (like 10 years ago), the terms "Platinum-selling artist" was often used to describe a successful artist. Now, it's considered "poor selling". I bet a lot of newer and older artists wish their albums would go Platinum.

Plus, while NLOTH did sell "only" 1.1M copies in the U.S., Zooropa only sold 2.3M and Pop sold 1.5M. And those albums were released in the pre-download era. Given that NLOTH didn't have any top 10 hits (Pop did), I think NLOTH did rather well.

But your real point stands - U2 don't need a big hit album to sell out a tour. Sure, it helps, but the fact that they sold out everywhere they went, speaks volumes about U2's legacy and their reputation for a live performance. Hit songs just help. :)

Don't know if this was already posted
What U2's Apple Album Launch Means For U2 - Forbes

U2 appears to have just launched the most widely-distributed album, ever.

Apple’s iTunes has more than 500 million customers–about five times the Super Bowl’s stated audience–and now they’ve all got U2′s latest effort, which Tim Cook called “the largest album release of all time.” Sure, tens of millions of people might not bother to listen, maybe hundreds of millions. But if even one-fifth of them listen, and half of them enjoy it, and half of them would like to see the songs performed live, it means that…

Another massive tour is around the corner for U2.

I think most of the reporters still don't notice the effect in sales for the rest of U2's catalog

U2 is now up to a 6000 point lead in the iTunes standings, and every album they have made is charting in many many countries.

Just saw the first Apple commercial during the Ravens-Steelers game! Same Miracle video, free on iTunes. Awesome!

Wait....the Joshua Tree is about to break the top 10?! :hyper:

U.S. iTunes

11. The Joshua Tree
26. U218 Singles
27. Achtung Baby
33. U218 Singles
36. Rattle and Hum
37. War
38. The Unforgettable Fire
43. All That You Can't Leave Behind
50. The Best of 1980-1990
56. Under a Blood Red Sky
57. Boy
63. How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb
66. No Line On the Horizon
70. Live from Paris
71. Zooropa
73. October
82. Achtung Baby
86. The Joshua Tree
111. The Best of 1990-2000
114. Pop
153. The Unforgettable Fire

I didn't catch earlier that it was your friend's article. Tell him it's very well done, and I think we here will welcome the backlash against the backlash.

(But ask him to edit 'worse' to 'worst'!!!! :wink: )

I didn't catch earlier that it was your friend's article. Tell him it's very well done, and I think we here will welcome the backlash against the backlash.

(But ask him to edit 'worse' to 'worst'!!!! :wink: )

I am the responsible (if not the professional) copyeditor, and I edited 'worse' to 'worst', but miscommunication doomed us (he thought I made the opposite edit). Copy editing, it turns out, is about grammar AND communication. :sad:

I do wonder whether 'worse' might be technically acceptable :)shifty:), but it definitely jars.

Anyway thanks for reading! He's a massive fan, so he was sweating blood over being 'un-fanboy' enough to get people to share it... I'm sure he'll be glad to hear fans still approve, though.

Ha, funny.

(I'll eat a hat if 'worse' is acceptable in that usage .... but we'll take that outside. Meet me by the swings at 3:00.)

I am the responsible (if not the professional) copyeditor, and I edited 'worse' to 'worst', but miscommunication doomed us (he thought I made the opposite edit). Copy editing, it turns out, is about grammar AND communication. :sad:

I do wonder whether 'worse' might be technically acceptable :)shifty:), but it definitely jars.

Anyway thanks for reading! He's a massive fan, so he was sweating blood over being 'un-fanboy' enough to get people to share it... I'm sure he'll be glad to hear fans still approve, though.
Tell him that was an extremely well written and reasoned article. Much better than most of the drivel we get from journalists no matter what the topic is.

Spain top 10 ITunes Albums :applaud:

1 U2 - U218 Singles
2 U2 - The Joshua Tree
3 U2 - U218 Singles
4 U2 - The Best of 1980-1990
5 One Direction - FOUR
6 Vanesa Martin - Crónica de un baile
7 U2 - Rattle and Hum
8 U2 - Achtung Baby
9 U2 - Live from Paris
10 Maroon 5 – V

Said it before, but now with the Joshua Tree in the top 10 of iTunes sales -- backlash or not, the move/stunt was fucking brilliant.

Spain top 10 ITunes Albums :applaud:

1 U2 - U218 Singles
2 U2 - The Joshua Tree
3 U2 - U218 Singles
4 U2 - The Best of 1980-1990
5 One Direction - FOUR
6 Vanesa Martin - Crónica de un baile
7 U2 - Rattle and Hum
8 U2 - Achtung Baby
9 U2 - Live from Paris
10 Maroon 5 – V

It's fun seeing those other artists being swamped.

i went to check this out, and obviously i own JT, but i clicked on the WOWY preview, and it really is stunning to listen to the back catalogue in comparison to the new material. the new material actually makes the old stuff better in some ways, and that's not to denigrate SOI. it's more that WOWY sounded like i was hearing it again for the first time, and it's just stunning. really. not a fair comparison. like when someone once interviewed Joseph Heller and noted that he hadn't written anything nearly as good as Catch-22, and he responded, "has anyone?"

though EBW sounds great too. i hope this song hits and holds and becomes something that takes root in the culture.

if nothing else, i wish a new generation the joy of discovering JT and AB.

Back
Top Bottom