The "Apple Stunt"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Even Pop is in the iTunes top 200 now. Brilliant move by Crapple. Brilliant move by U2.

Cuts the self-important "critics" out of the loop too. "Doesn't matter what you write, most people with a computer now has the album so write what the hell you want"

Got to love the nme here was me thinking 200,000 people downloading something in the US in ONE day was actually pretty amazing

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Thing is with the nme report they dont mention that the 200,000 downloads was in the usa,it dosent mention that its for the first 24 hours and it dosent mention that its streaming aswell.

They publish the article to make the reader think that its only been downloaded 200,000 times worldwide since its release

Complete joke nme.

Rattle and Hum is at #52 in the US ITunes Store. Achtung Baby is at 39 and JT is at 24!

Shit.....WAR is at 60!!!

Is it possible that somewhere a kid is sitting down and for the first time listening to a young U2 sing Sunday Bloody Sunday???

That's right kid, kids in their 20s wrote a song like Sunday Bloody Sunday....how does that compare to the stuff you hear on your Top 40 station?

Boom!

Beyoncé sold 617,000 albums in three days. U2 basically pulled off the same thing, but with a free album.

Yeah, this is apples and oranges really.
Not just Beyoncé being at the very top of her commercial game, but she had two lead up hit singles to this "surprise" and also people had to actually pay for it.

So that being said, she got 300,000 downloads, in the first 24 hours. That's pretty amazing.
U2 got 200k, for free, but again, a LOT of people seem to have trouble actually downloading this, even though its sitting there waiting for them. and, not everyone is even aware they have it.

So I don't know. I think no comparison can really be made here.

The overall result of this is truly amazing. Yeah, there's backlash, but this is one brilliant move at this stage in their career.

Even Pop is in the iTunes top 200 now. Brilliant move by Crapple. Brilliant move by U2.

Read the comments section on some of the reviews or articles about the new album. There's the usual good and bad ones, then a few actually go into arguing about the merits of Pop. Not too different from here, actually! :lol:

Joshua Tree currently at #19 here in the UK.

Kind of amusing & awesome to see at the same time.

So really what U2 done has totally worked, we could actually see a U2 album in the uk top 40 again this weekend?

This could also have a circular effect. People may start seeing the old U2 albums charting and take a look at the U2 page on iTunes and finally see that they have the new album sitting there for them.

It's crazy. If you would take away the 1 star reviews on iTunes from the people saying - what is this? did I pay for this? was I hacked? You would have the best reviewed U2 album of all time! LOL

this could also have a circular effect. People may start seeing the old u2 albums charting and take a look at the u2 page on itunes and finally see that they have the new album sitting there for them.

It's crazy. If you would take away the 1 star reviews on itunes from the people saying - what is this? Did i pay for this? Was i hacked? You would have the best reviewed u2 album of all time! Lol
:)

Read the comments section on some of the reviews or articles about the new album. There's the usual good and bad ones, then a few actually go into arguing about the merits of Pop. Not too different from here, actually! :lol:

Shit, October and Boy are in the top 120!!!!

US Itunes:

#21 The Joshua Tree
#31 U2 18
#34 Achtung Baby
#38 U2 18 Deluxe
#45 Rattle and Hum
#48 War
#50 The Unforgettable Fire

Haha!

Ha! creeping up to Taylor Swift. :) I was just about to post this. They have 16 albums in the top 100 right now. Would be really cool if they had about 8 albums show up on the Billboard charts next week. :) Probably would break some record.

And if they combined all the different versions of the albums - They would most likely have 3 albums in the top 10 or 15

This is beyond amazing. I just put some songs on my little sister playlist, without her notice. I do think she actually liked. No complaints about "what the hell this" 'till now. It's side by side with Justin Bieber

This is pretty extraordinary. Even Pop is in the top 200 in the US. It's my dream come true :heart:

U2 knew they were going to piss off some people this way. but this clearly shows what they did was brilliant

And people think the apple thing hasn't done anything? :lol: welcome back boys, good to have you back again :up:

I couldn't even remember the name of NLOTH, much less whether I owned it (I do, but I'm not sure that I listened to it once if that). I don't like Apple, and I don't buy digital music. I think that if U2 hadn't gone this route with Songs of Innocence that I would have bought the CD eventually, but it wouldn't have been a priority.

Now here I am posting on Interference again, so the allure of FREE STUFF clearly was enough to draw me back into U2 fandom.

:lol: Some of the complaints on the UK iTunes store are that they cant actually find it!!!! wow, I think the band are about to win a lot of new fans with this I really do, especially when they get on the promo trail again and play more of the new songs live:heart:

I struggled to find the damn thing when it dropped the other night.

I was starting to become unreasonable.

I couldn't even remember the name of NLOTH, much less whether I owned it (I do, but I'm not sure that I listened to it once if that). I don't like Apple, and I don't buy digital music. I think that if U2 hadn't gone this route with Songs of Innocence that I would have bought the CD eventually, but it wouldn't have been a priority.

Now here I am posting on Interference again, so the allure of FREE STUFF clearly was enough to draw me back into U2 fandom.

Welcome back! What do you think about the new album?

I don't really use iTunes (I have an iPod shuffle, but I don't use it often) and am reasonably technologically capable, and it took me ages to work out how to download the album because it kept saying 'purchased' but didn't give me an option to download it. Eventually, I just rebooted my laptop and the option to download appeared. :shrug:

:lol: Some of the complaints on the UK iTunes store are that they cant actually find it!!!! wow, I think the band are about to win a lot of new fans with this I really do, especially when they get on the promo trail again and play more of the new songs live:heart:
I agree, but once they get to tour mode, they'll go back to the usual. Their back catalog sales are surging into the stratosphere, why not?

Welcome back! What do you think about the new album?

Thank you. :) I've only listened to it one and a half times, but I really like it. It says a lot that I am currently listening to it because I haven't really listened to music much at all in the past ten years. :reject:

Back
Top Bottom