The "Apple Stunt"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

This is interesting, actually.

From my experience, other artists who are familiar with the band mostly have a very positive view of them - their music, the band members themselves, their work. We have a thread about public reaction to this latest album and it's release, we have a thread about every day people's reactions to it.. I'm curious what the general sentiment is out there among other musical acts.

Sent from my fingertips.

It goes to show other musicians would have done the same thing if they had the chance.

All the blowhards that are complaining about getting a free album wouldn't have listened to the record anyway, including Sharon Osbourne. Even if U2 only got 10 percent of iTunes users to listen to the album it will be a remarkable accomplishment.

I'm curious what the general sentiment is out there among other musical acts.

I think some bands are liking this new album.
This past sunday evening I heard a
band playing at a local fest here. They are usually a normal cover band or
the type of rock band you see at a wedding playing all types of top-40 songs.

After playing for about 1 hour and some minutes, they started to play U2 songs. In all they must have played about 10 U2 songs and one of them was
off this new album- It was Song for Someone. :applaud:

Interesting take on the U2 album giveaway

HITS Daily Double: News

Almost all publishers and labels dislike the U2 album giveaway—Iovine’s biggest splash thus far at Apple—for the simple reason that it’s bad for their business model and for that of strategic partners like Spotify. Soon thereafter, when the band and Apple drew criticism on the grounds of invasion of privacy, making both appear vulnerable, the bashing from rights holders began in earnest. The fact of the matter is that, at this point in its career, U2’s agenda and that of the recorded-music business have never been more divergent, with record sales no longer representing a significant part of the band’s revenues, while sales remain central to the rights holders’ existence even at this transitional point. In any case, Bono’s contention that 38m people listened to Songs of Innocence during its first week of availability—despite the fact that iTunes isn’t nearly as big a factor outside the U.S. and U.K.—indicates that the giveaway was as successful for U2 as it has been for Apple.

Interesting take on the U2 album giveaway

HITS Daily Double: News

I really hope when the free downloads done and dusted in two weeks time that the listening figure is huge and the press report it as much as they did in the first week of the promotion. Alot of bad stuff was written,hopefully the press get to eat their own words

Over 100 million dowloads/streams and a number one record on alot of markets would make the press looks stupid!

I think the press will try to give it a bad spin at the final number of downloads/streams, due to the fact that the release pissed a lot of execs in the music business and they'll try to make it look bad. Hope I'm wrong.

I think the press will try to give it a bad spin at the final number of downloads/streams, due to the fact that the release pissed a lot of execs in the music business and they'll try to make it look bad. Hope I'm wrong.

If they get over 100 million listens and still get to number one then i cant see how they can put a bad spin on it.

What I find mind boggling is that a lot of people still don't know they have it.

I was at a blues thing in OC this afternoon and a group of 3 people saw my U2 shirt and started asking me what this iTunes thing was about. I told them if they had an iTunes account that they all had the album. They were a bit surprised by this and I explained they had to go to their "purchased" section to get it and they all pulled out their smartphones. Unanimous reaction to seeing a free album ? "Cool". Of course these were adults not hipsters.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Most older people probably don't pay as much attention to twitter and social media as the hipsters doing all the whining...just a thought.

That said, I hope the final download numbers are upwards of 100million or more, and I also hope they start selling copies of the physical release. Make the press keep writing about them. ;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using U2 Interference mobile app

I can't see this album going to number 1, but I don't think they care. Its win win.

U2, you didn't get a number 1, how do you feel? "fuck off, 100 million people downloaded it you twat"

U2, you have another number 1, how do you fee? "Given that 100 million people downloaded it for free first, it clearly means we are the biggest band in the world. Who the fuck is Coldplay?"

A month after the release and U2 is sitting at #65 in the World Itunes chart and that is with no new music counting into sales.

Prior to the Apple appearance, I don't think they were in the top 200.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I can't see this album going to number 1, but I don't think they care. Its win win.

U2, you didn't get a number 1, how do you feel? "fuck off, 100 million people downloaded it you twat"

U2, you have another number 1, how do you fee? "Given that 100 million people downloaded it for free first, it clearly means we are the biggest band in the world. Who the fuck is Coldplay?"

:applaud: :up:

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using U2 Interference mobile app

Back
Top Bottom