The Album is finished...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2Fanatic4ever

Blue Crack Addict
the latest from atu2.com...

THE ALBUM IS FINISHED!
July 05, 2008
posted by: m2

U2's new public relations director, Daniel Lanois, told Le Journal de
Montreal last week that the band has finished recording the new album,
and all that's left is to "finish up some mixes." You can read the
interview en Francais, or rely on this translation from our good
friend Beth:

"It's going to be different in several ways, but I think it's similar
from one point of view, namely that it's going to push the known
limits in the sound arena, the way Achtung Baby did in the past.

"Currently we're working within clearly defined creative periods. We
meet somewhere and we work for two weeks on everything we can. Then we
all go do whatever for three weeks, before getting together again. It
requires some administration, but for the creative process it's as if
everything were fresh every time we reunite."

POSSIBLE SONGS MENTIONED:

These are songs that have been mentioned in the buildup to U2's next studio album:

"The Cedars of Lebanon" - Daniel Lanois revealed this track in an interview with the Montreal magazine, Voir. He said the song was inspired by Jimi Hendrix.
"Moment of Surrender" - Brian Eno reportedly told fans about this song outside Hanover Quay studios in early June, 2008. Eno called it "the best thing" he's recorded with U2.
"For Your Love" - a song title seen on the band's white board, as described in this article from the Fez recording sessions
"One Bird" - a song title seen on the band's white board, as described in this article from the Fez recording sessions
"No Line On The Horizon" - Bono and Edge played this song for a USA Today writer during an in-the-car interview at the Sundance Film Festival. On hearing it, writer Anthony Breznican says "heavy distortion fills the car," and later adds: "The song is rough, weaving between brutal guitar blasts underscoring the mellow title refrain." Edge explains that the song "It came out of a new distortion box that my guitar tech got."
Unknown Title - in the same interview with Anthony Breznican, Bono and Edge played a second song whose opening lyric is, "It's six o'clock...". Bono tells Breznican that numbers are significant in each of the new songs.
"If I Could Live My Life Again" - Bono says this song is "inspired by the great Argentinian poet Jorge Luis Borges." Bono said he had just begun the song while speaking with author Michka Assayas in December, 2005. Their interview appears as the extra material in the paperback version of Bono in Conversation with Michka Assayas.
"Love Is All We Have Left" - a song Bono named during his May, 2006, trip to Africa as one that he had recently written. "It’s like an old Broadway tune. I thought it was a Frank Sinatra song," Bono said.
"North Star," a song from the How To Dismantle an Atomic Bomb sessions which included a guest organ appearance from Michael W. Smith. In this CCM article, Smith describes the song as a tribute to Johnny Cash.
"Mercy", one of the last songs to get cut from How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb, described in Blender magazine as "a six-and-a-half-minute outpouring of U2 at its most uninhibitedly U2-ish"
"Lead Me In The Way I Should Go" -- a contender for Atomic Bomb first mentioned in this February, 2003, interview with Bono in Grammy Magazine
"You Can't Give Away Your Heart" - a contender for Atomic Bomb first mentioned in SPIN magazine

How much you wanna bet neither Mercy nor Northern Star are on the album? I'd bet there are only 3 songs of the 12 mentioned that actually make the album: Cedars, Horizon, and Moment.

I would bet that the last five unless majorly reworked are in the material that Edge had mentioned that they set aside to get back to later. That's the stuff they had around when they worked with Rubin and Edge kind of said they'd get back to that sometime later but they were working on fresh stuff with Eno and Lanois. If Mercy does make the album as Bono claimed it will probably be so different that all the Mercy lovers on the board will hate it.

Dana

If Mercy does make the album as Bono claimed it will probably be so different that all the Mercy lovers on the board will hate it.

That's kind of what I'm afraid of.

But it's not a stretch to think it will show up. Look how many songs have been carried over from one session to the next.

And if there's a track called "Cedars of Lebanon", it means Bono hasn't moved so far away thematically that Mercy won't still be relevant.

That's kind of what I'm afraid of.

But it's not a stretch to think it will show up. Look how many songs have been carried over from one session to the next.

And if there's a track called "Cedars of Lebanon", it means Bono hasn't moved so far away thematically that Mercy won't still be relevant.

I quite agree that it could show up and that lyricly it may still fit but the majority of Mercy lovers on this board are not going to want to see much in the way of changes in the music which is what I think would change the most for it to still make the album. The music was to close to what Bomb was for it to fit in with what we've been hearing about new directions.

Dana

I would think most people would be happy if it did show up in a different form than what we already have. Since, you know, we already have one version of Mercy, why would we want to hear it again? I guess it might sound different within the context of the album, but I am glad that if it does show up it will be different than the version we have floating around here.

I pray that Mercy isn't on the new album... I love the song, but that was Bomb, and this is now...

I would think most people would be happy if it did show up in a different form than what we already have. Since, you know, we already have one version of Mercy, why would we want to hear it again? I guess it might sound different within the context of the album, but I am glad that if it does show up it will be different than the version we have floating around here.

yep i would be happy to see it on the new album And as you said, I am sure the version of Mercy that we have will be different from whatever version of it that they have worked on for this album.

:hyper: Awesome.

I too believe that Mercy will make the album in a completely different form. The same melody may be there, but I highly doubt it will be 6.5 minutes long or contain the lyrics it did before.

If Mercy does make the album as Bono claimed it will probably be so different that all the Mercy lovers on the board will hate it.

I hope that's true, not to spite the Mercy lovers, but to me Mercy is a complete enough song and I'd rather get something a lot fresher and newer. So, re-work away boys!

I also am starting to doubt that a lot of those speculated songs will make it on. I think that One Bird and For Your Love were most likely working titles. So, out of the mentioned song titles, I'd have to agree that only Cedars, Moment, and No Line will be on the album.

:hyper: Awesome.

I too believe that Mercy will make the album in a completely different form. The same melody may be there, but I highly doubt it will be 6.5 minutes long or contain the lyrics it did before.

yep, I imagine that the song will flow along with the other songs.. Lyrics will probably change up and possibly the title.

Mercy was a demo in the form everyone has it. A new sound for it would benefit it greatly.

Dont be saying that, over production and tinkering could easily ruin the greatest of songs.

It was over-produced in its original form. It had that background ringing sound. Scrapping that would simplify it AND improve the sound.

:hyper: New music, new music, new music, new music, new music, new music, new music, new music, new music, new music, new music, new music, new music, new music, new music, new music, new music, new music, new music, new music, new music, new music, new music, new music, new music, new music, new music. :hyper:

:drool: It's waaay too early for me to be this worked up. :reject:

I for one, hope Mercy doesnt feature at all. Mercy was a bomb cast off, lets leave it in the past.

So what happens now, normally what would be the expected time? October?

My guess:

First single will leak in early September, and it will be released properly towards the end of the month.

Album leaks in late October, and is released sometime in November.

McGuiness already stated they were shooting for end of October release and if they've finished as these articles suggest then they are on track to meet that goal.

Dana

Back
Top Bottom