Summer of Love - Appreciation Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That contemporary, yet tasteful main guitar part, oh man.

That groovy beat throughout, oh man.

That catchy chorus ("I've been thinking 'bout the west coast...") with those lyrics, oh man.

Those strings at the end of the middle-8 and towards the end, oh man.

Last edited:
Perfectly captures the vibe I think they were going for. This sounds like heat - it sounds like desert. But it's dark. This is a sunset song for Aleppo and it sounds like it. Edge's work here is so tasteful and Bono's vocal is perfectly restrained.

Unreal track. Favourite on the album after one two listens. So so good. Best track theve done for a long long while

Mesmerizing song. Love the guitar. My favorite of the "new" songs- second favorite on the album after Little Things.

I have to imagine Lady Gaga used to have a bigger part on this track. Doesn't make sense for her to do only background vocals.

Interesting track. This and The Showman are like the two they decided to get in a time machine and record in 1965. I enjoy this one more. I'm thankful Gaga's not up front in the mix.

Someone has probably pointed this out already, but the percussion is reminiscent of Time of the Season by the Zombies.

Last edited:
I’ve visions of myself laying on the summer grass with my fly shades on, staring at the sun, sucking on a lemon popsicle.....listening to this.

Favourite song on the album, actually made me tear up. It totally caught me by surprise.

Song is fantastic. But the intro reminds of She's Too Much by Duran Duran.
Listen for yourself...

I use to describe Bono’s voice as silky smooth, sexy, soul and the music in this song fits so perfectly for his voice it’s unreal. Love this song!

Great song. It currently sits in my top 3 or 4 for the whole album.

This is a slow, mellow groove...reminds me a bit of Sweater Weather - The Neighbourhood.

Had this exact same thought.

I didn't realize Lady Gaga sang bg vocals on this song until reading this thread - but I was listening to it this afternoon and had idly wondered what it would've been like if Lana Del Rey had guested. Like Scorpionac said, I want to know if there was an earlier take w/ a lead vocal part for her

Love this song. It is what Man and a Woman could have been if the sappiness had been reduced.

1:32....looks like this was a One Republic song in the works...

It's the bit at 0:28 that's more 'eye brow raising' as that's the guitar lick.

The vocals/melody from 1:18 on, prior to the West Coast part at 1:32, sounds as much like California Dreamin' to my ears.

This is my favorite song on the album right now. :up: It's so unexpected and unlike anything they've done before. I think I saw someone compare it to "Party Girl," which is yet another way this album hearkens back to early 80s U2.

Back
Top Bottom